Necessity of Sleeping Pads

For sure necessary. Air filled pads are too much of a hassle for me. One time I got a hole and slept on it deflated one night. That was it for me. Switched to a folding closed cell thermarest. Haven't looked back since.

Hello everyone,

I currently have the Nemo Dagger 2p Tent and the Nemo Coda 10 Degree sleeping bag en route to my home. I've never used a sleeping pad, and was wondering how necessary they are for longer camps while hunting out west. Is their added size and weight worth having the comfort?
Won’t camp without one. The amount of body heat you lose to the ground is amazing.

Sleeping at home with what you’ll use on the mountain will quickly determine someone’s comfort level with a pad.

& it keeps you up off the ground a little meaning your bag will stay dryer this is especially important if you have a down bag that will clump and not hold its loft or warmth when wet.

The sleeping pad baseline is a $7 foam pad, not no pad at all.
I will defend closed cell foam pads, though, especially if temperature allows and geology is harsh, which is a combination that can occur in the West.

Sleep pad is one of the most important parts of your sleep system and one that you should never go cheap on. My favorite pad is the Thermarest x therm it's a freaking heater I have had the same one for 8 years with countless nights on it no holes. Someday I am going to cut it open to see if the mold thing is an old wives tale.

Other pads I like thermarest Neo Air X-Lite for temps over 30. I also picked up a Thermarest Neo Air Top Luxe which is a big pad but dang it's comfy after a long day.

Sleep pad is one of the most important parts of your sleep system and one that you should never go cheap on. My favorite pad is the Thermarest x therm it's a freaking heater I have had the same one for 8 years with countless nights on it no holes. Someday I am going to cut it open to see if the mold thing is an old wives tale.

Other pads I like thermarest Neo Air X-Lite for temps over 30. I also picked up a Thermarest Neo Air Top Luxe which is a big pad but dang it's comfy after a long day.
I'm looking at the Xtherm, but I can't get over how noisy it seemed to be. You had any issues with the crinkliness of it?

I'm looking at the Xtherm, but I can't get over how noisy it seemed to be. You had any issues with the crinkliness of it?
ya man it is super noisy but its a work horse of a pad and I am yet to be cold on it. I run that pad with a 10 deg enlightened equipment quilt on most hunts and it just works. It's not noisy enough to keep me awake.

it is very comfortable but it is super noisy. I keep looking for a quieter version cause I move a lot during the night and the noise drives me nuts. Hard to imaging not having a pad if the ground was cold.

it is very comfortable but it is super noisy. I keep looking for a quieter version cause I move a lot during the night and the noise drives me nuts. Hard to imaging not having a pad if the ground was cold.
Seems like I won't be getting sleep either way then. Just depends on if I want to be lying there awake or awake and cold?

Back