Necessity of stove - Sept elk, 7-8k ft

SWOHTR

WKR
Questions for those who run stoves in their shelters:

Are stoves "necessary" for an early-mid Sept archery elk hunt at 7-8k ft in central ID?
Have you found yourself packing one and not using it because of the hassle to get it started? (late back to the shelter, not used in the morning, maintaining it throughout the night, etc.)
How long before they burn out of fuel (say a "medium" stove)?

I understand their utility is for heat, drying wetted equipment, and comfort. My biggest concern is that I'd get one and not use it because I get back at/after dark and just want to sleep and/or would not use it in the morning because I'd just want to get moving.

Last season I spent a few nights in Northern ID at 4k-ish feet and we got everything from 70's and sun to 20's and snow. Not having a warm shelter was "no fun" but at the same time, I'm wondering if stoves are "a hassle."

Thoughts and input? Shelter would be a Sawtooth and stove.

Akicita

WKR
Not necessary but sure nice to have anytime of the year for all the reasons you stated. My wife will pack our Seek Outside SXL Stove and Redcliffe any season we are in the back country below treeline. It's her favorite any season shelter setup and one of mine too. We don't always use it but when it's needed it's a blessing.

August Elk Camp Scout Trip / California Park Colorado
IsHCRrP.jpg

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Get the stove . You can split up stove and tent between your group or if alone its not to much extra . We take our SO XL everytime after mid August in the high Cascades. This year muzzleloader hunting in early Oct. it snowed heavily at 6K' and slightly lower it was a wet slushy mess. We didn't return till after 10:30 one night in temps around 25 and without the stove it would have been a shitty cold night . Sure stove are a little weight , need lots of attention , etc. but a great piece of mind. WORTH every penny and ounce of sweat when you need it. Set it up for the night burn in the morning before you leave out . Keep a good supply of burnable wood covered or in the tent . I'm sold on stove/tent setups!

oldgoat

WKR
I think they are worth it, especially for a longer trip, not so much for a shorter one unless you know it's going to be wet. Last weekend of this past elk season I was really wishing I had one with me, 40 straight hours of rain sleet and snow, everything was wet when I packed out.

mcseal2

WKR
They aren't to much of a pain if you take time to gather the right wood, but they burn out pretty quick they need regular attention. The bigger the stove the less attention but none are meant for long burn times. As days get shorter the utility of the stove increases, longer darkness hours means more hours awake in the shelter to be burning wood and drying gear. It's sure nice to put on dry warm merino socks in the morning that have been hanging near the stove pipe and boots that aren't froze.

Beendare

WKR
Worth it....depends. If you are moving camp a lot its a pain.

i don't use mine as much as one would think....usually just to take the chill off in the am....and for an hour+ at night. Now if its pouring rain or snow....then its really nice

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
They are not necessary but very nice to have. No trouble at all to get a fire started. The only hassle is putting the stove together and gathering wood, neither of which are a big hassle. You won't keep it burning all night unless you don't sleep as they will only burn 20-30 minutes. I don't use it in the mornings but it's nice to heat the shelter up before going to bed and as mentioned drying things out if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
Thanks for the responses! 30min burn time is a lot shorter than I thought, and I can see how that is a good and bad thing. Does the shelter ever smoke out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rizzy

WKR
Depends on the weather. There is usually a snow storm in mid to late September and it sticks up high. It's nice to have on hand and you can always not take it if the weather is still hot. I have only used mine once for a September trip and that was this past season, it was worth it with the snow on the ground and low 20s at night.

Last September in Montana my basecamp was at 7600'. Two days into the hunt there was a foot of snow on the ground. But before that it rained hard for the first day and half. A few days in the park at 8000' had knee deep snow.

Last year was my first year with a stove and out side of summer trips its coming with me unless I'm taking my Atko on a overnight trip or plan on being mobike/spiking.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
Good to know!

Has anyone had an durability issues with the kifaru box stoves?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
Also: how often does the ash need to be cleaned out? Is it after every burn, every other, every three...four?

rayporter

WKR
ash depends on how much you are burning. if burning a fire night and morning I have to dump every 3 days with a medium stove. I just pick up the stove pipe and set it on the ground and then pick up the stove by the legs to carry it out and dump through the door.