Need a 2nd pair of binos to compliment to Leica Ultravid HD+ 10x32 for African Safari....

Tomilg

FNG
1st post on Rokslide

I never knew this website existing until I started researching binoculars for an upcoming South African Safari, but going through the forums has been a great asset.

So my wife and I are headed to Kruger National Park in Sept-Oct. for three weeks and and I am in need of an optics upgrade. In 2020 I went to Zambia on a Cape Buffalo hunt and took my Steiner Predator 10x40's with me. They were acceptable but I'm looking for something a little better. I just got a great price on a pair of Leica Ultravid HD+ 10x32's for a great price and I'm looking for a 2nd pair to compliment these. Ideally I/ve got my sights set on either the Swarovski SLC 8x42's, the EL 8x32's or the Leica Trinovid HD 8x42's.

I can get the SLC's locally, brand new, for $1,300. I'm impressed with the overall brightness and ergonomics. I've not yet tried the EL's in 32 but suspect I'll love those as well. No one locally stocks the Leicas.

I should state that this is a non hunting trip. We start in Kruger for 5 days and then move to Hermanus for the Right Whale Festival. The whales can easily be veiwed from the cliffs and our hotel room. They are just offshore during the migration (within 1/4 mile). Afterward, we'll be spending a week in the South African Wine country.

Any thoughts are very appreciated...

Cheers,
Tom

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
If the second pair is for your wife to use, I think she would appreciate the sveltness of the Swarovski ELs with their open bridge design. You will be happy with the image of any of the three you listed; great choices all.

OP
T

Tomilg

FNG
Thats the idea, but honestly we'll likely end up juggling the two pairs between us. Thx for the input Steve.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Welcome to RS. Sounds like a fantastic trip. As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been to Kruger three times and absolutely love it. There is nothing real different about binocular needs there as opposed to other uses. You will be looking from a vehicle almost all the time so size isn’t a big factor. I’d focus on what you want to use the Binoculars for when you get back and get the ones that best suit your needs. Most important to me is to get a good long camera lens.

OP
T

Tomilg

FNG
Kenn, I was thinking along those same lines, Our house sits on a lake and golf course in Florida, subsequently we have a large amount of wildlife passing though daily, mostly deer, birdlife, and the occasional gator. I don’t hunt any longer and just focus on fishing. I’ll likely settle on a pair of 8x42’s.

I’m going to leave the camera and lens at home this trip and let my wife take care of the photography. I’ve tried to get into photography as a hobby but just don’t enjoy as much as I thought I would. My last trip to Africa was a Cape Buffalo hunt and documented everything on my camera,….photos and videos of the entire hunt…and guess what, those photos are still sitting on a hard drive and I’ve never done anything with them. So instead, I’ll be enjoying the moment with a nice pair of binos, rather than worrying about getting a photo opp.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
Kenn, I was thinking along those same lines, Our house sits on a lake and golf course in Florida, subsequently we have a large amount of wildlife passing though daily, mostly deer, birdlife, and the occasional gator. I don’t hunt any longer and just focus on fishing. I’ll likely settle on a pair of 8x42’s.

I’m going to leave the camera and lens at home this trip and let my wife take care of the photography. I’ve tried to get into photography as a hobby but just don’t enjoy as much as I thought I would. My last trip to Africa was a Cape Buffalo hunt and documented everything on my camera,….photos and videos of the entire hunt…and guess what, those photos are still sitting on a hard drive and I’ve never done anything with them. So instead, I’ll be enjoying the moment with a nice pair of binos, rather than worrying about getting a photo opp.
Very similar to my uses. I love good binoculars and I recently overspent on 10x42 NL’s. Stupid price but they are stunning. Decided that I could use them for the next decade or so and the kids can inherit them instead the cash.

ILPete

FNG
1st post on Rokslide

I never knew this website existing until I started researching binoculars for an upcoming South African Safari, but going through the forums has been a great asset.

So my wife and I are headed to Kruger National Park in Sept-Oct. for three weeks and and I am in need of an optics upgrade. In 2020 I went to Zambia on a Cape Buffalo hunt and took my Steiner Predator 10x40's with me. They were acceptable but I'm looking for something a little better. I just got a great price on a pair of Leica Ultravid HD+ 10x32's for a great price and I'm looking for a 2nd pair to compliment these. Ideally I/ve got my sights set on either the Swarovski SLC 8x42's, the EL 8x32's or the Leica Trinovid HD 8x42's.

I can get the SLC's locally, brand new, for $1,300. I'm impressed with the overall brightness and ergonomics. I've not yet tried the EL's in 32 but suspect I'll love those as well. No one locally stocks the Leicas.

I should state that this is a non hunting trip. We start in Kruger for 5 days and then move to Hermanus for the Right Whale Festival. The whales can easily be veiwed from the cliffs and our hotel room. They are just offshore during the migration (within 1/4 mile). Afterward, we'll be spending a week in the South African Wine country.

Any thoughts are very appreciated...

Cheers,
Tom
Any top of the line 8x32 from Leica, Swaro, Zeiss makes a great all around bin for travel. out of the 3 you mentioned I'd go with the Swaro ELs. Those 10x Ultravids you have are tiny and great when it comes to packing. They also come in 8x.

I used my 2005 model Leica 8x32 Ultravids (pre-HD) in Krueger Park back in 2005. Still use them for hiking and hunting combined with Swarovision EL 10x42s for hunting and glassing at longer range. Over the course of the year they both get about equal use. Both are tough and durable and have never needed a trip back to the manufacturer.

The 32 mm Ultravid is a very light and compact binocular….very good choice and for me 17 yrs ago beat the compact Swaro. Couldn’t give you any feedback on the new models of each, but 17 yrs later I am still very satisfied with my 32mm Ultravids. And the price is actually lower today than back in 2005 on them! Enjoy the trip!

OP
T

Tomilg

FNG
Blockcaver, thanks for the input, I‘ve got some time before the trip and hoping to try out binos I’m interested in. The 10x32 UVHD+ are very compact and my wife loves them. The next pair will most certainly be 42’s.

OP
T

Tomilg

FNG
In the end I bought a pair of “New old Stock” Swaro SLC 8x42’s locally. I really like the Leica 8x32 UVHD+, but just didn’t want to spend the extra cash. These Swaros were a good value for the quality of glass your getting. And, they are not that much larger or heavier than the Leica 10x32 UVHD+ I currently own.

If anyone is interested, there is one pair of SLC 8x42’s remaining, brand new, unregistered, $1,300 at Bill Jackson’s Shop for Adventure in Pinellas Park, FL.