Need a coat warmer than the Kenai Hooded Jacket.

MHWASH

WKR
Currently the Kenai is my warmest coat. What's the next step up in insulation? Doesn't have to be Kuiu, FL or Sitka, open to any brand.

Anything with down will be warmer but will not breathe well on exertion. If I’m going to be active and it’s cold, a soft shell over top of the kenai is my go-to. You get a lot more warmth that way.

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
Anything with down will be warmer but will not breathe well on exertion. If I’m going to be active and it’s cold, a soft shell over top of the kenai is my go-to. You get a lot more warmth that way.
I have taken this route before. I'm looking for something for sitting and glassing, but maybe this is still the answer.

Dennis

WKR
I think a Kenai vest or any vest with your coat might be the answer.

I am not sure how cold your sits are, but my insulated (hunting/glassing) system is the Kenai hooded jacket, vest and pants. I mix and match to conditions then add a windproof layer over or sometimes under the above if needed. My windproof system is either Peloton 240 jacket, Guide jacket or rain gear jacket and pants depending on base weather.

The same system in the Kuiu down line of coat, vest and pants is warmer, but is kind of noisy for hunting but is fine and maybe better for just glassing.

shwacker

FNG
The SG Grumman does look pretty nice and light; only has 5.3 oz of fill though.

If you are looking for glassing jackets, look at "belay jackets" from climbing companies. You are paying for light weight and high quality down, so if you aren't hiking far, probably can find much cheaper options.

Typically box baffles and down fill weight are things to pay attention to if you will be in really cold temps and want the actual warmest thing. Minimum of 800 fill down. If they don't list fill weight, probably not a good sign. Also often the word "parka" instead of "jacket." E.g. Rab, Mountain Equipment, etc.

That one is probably pretty warm.

I have an older marmot model with 10.6 oz of down fill, and it's warm enough for me to sit in well below zero F.

I have taken this route before. I'm looking for something for sitting and glassing, but maybe this is still the answer.
Go with down and look at non-hunting brands as well. If windy, can put on a rain jacket or a soft shell depending preferences and the situation.

shedhead

FNG
I usually just keep adding layers. The Keniai with a super down on top of it and then a Yukon rain gear…If I’m not going to far from the truck I will take a Klim snowmobile coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenai is active insulation. Pick from the dozens of down jackets, plenty of mountaineering and hunting brands. Figure out what weight you want and go from there. Even the lighter weight down jackets (Grumman) will be warmer.