Need a good Dall Sheep hunt book

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a practical book to help me prepare for my NWT 2020 Dall Sheep hunt - gear, food, health program. Any recommendations?

Can’t help you with a book (but I’ll be watching for any recommendations), but google and YouTube is your friend.

Been watching and looking at everything I can find. Including this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KClark

WKR
Sheep Hunting in Alaska by Tony Russ is a great read, don't know how helpful it is since I haven't applied any of it's lessons. :(

ColeyG

WKR
All of Tony Russ’ books on sheep are well worth a read. Bob Anderson’s Great Rams series is awesome for motivation.

I’ll 2nd(3rd?) Tony Russ books. I just finished Sheep Hunting in Alaska in preparation for my 2020 Yukon hunt. It covers every subject you mention and is easy to read. Up next, Quest for Dall Rams by Duncan Gilchrist

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Just read rokslide

Books are great for nostalgia (JOC, Alaskan Trophies Won and Lost, etc.), but info on the subjects you mention is broad, and here you get to hear up to date info/ideas (that worked and maybe didnt) from many different people

Read some of the prep threads, as well as stories of folks who posted their trips, and reach out to them. I think alot of folks on here are happy to help....

Congrats on booking your hunt BTW! Who are you going with?

RyanC

WKR
All of the books mentioned are a great read. Years ago I came across a couple of guys out of Alaska putting together some great information on Dall Sheep Hunting, Steve and Scott. They have a website called www.provingtrailadventures.com and it is chalked full of great references and a few really good DVDs that help break down what it takes to embark on an adventure like sheep hunting. I've never met either one of these guys but if you're into dall sheep, it's worth checking out.

Congrats on booking your hunt, I know 2020 can't get here soon enough!!

Ryan

OP
ericthered

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks - ju
All of the books mentioned are a great read. Years ago I came across a couple of guys out of Alaska putting together some great information on Dall Sheep Hunting, Steve and Scott. They have a website called www.provingtrailadventures.com and it is chalked full of great references and a few really good DVDs that help break down what it takes to embark on an adventure like sheep hunting. I've never met either one of these guys but if you're into dall sheep, it's worth checking out.

Congrats on booking your hunt, I know 2020 can't get here soon enough!!

Ryan
Just bought their Lace em Up video

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sheep Stalking alaska is a good one by Tony Russ, lots of different scenarios described.

The ultimate sheep books though are probably Rampages and Great Rams I, II, III.

keller

WKR
I read tony russ book last year before my dall hunt.lot of good solid info.any info you can pick up is worth the time spent.also could check out some videos or books from billy molls.

PM me your address and I'll mail you a signed copy of Sheep Hunting in Alaska by Tony Russ. It just not my writing style so couldn't get into it. Billy Molls seems to be more to my liking. I enjoyed the Lace em Up video. Duncan Gilchrist is another on my to read list. Agree with Doc though - just bury yourself in Rokslide.

Labdad

FNG
Just read rokslide

Books are great for nostalgia (JOC, Alaskan Trophies Won and Lost, etc.), but info on the subjects you mention is broad, and here you get to hear up to date info/ideas (that worked and maybe didnt) from many different people

Read some of the prep threads, as well as stories of folks who posted their trips, and reach out to them. I think alot of folks on here are happy to help....

Congrats on booking your hunt BTW! Who are you going with?
Alaska Trophies Won and Lost is one of my favorite reads. About time i read it again!!!!