Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Proof Glacier TI

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Defiance Deviant Ultralight Build

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Other (please post!)

Votes: 28 43.8%

• Total voters
My current hunting rifle weighs around ten pounds and tops out at approximately 200 yards. The gun's not bad but I could use something lighter that shoots farther. Where I hunt has a wide variety of medium to long range shots - 300 to 400 isn't out of the ordinary and the longest possible shot I measured on onX was around 830 yards. I want to take a training class next year and work on my longer range (400-600) shooting skills. To those ends, I could use some other peoples' insights regarding a new rifle to get training and hunt with next year.

I'm pretty much settled on either 6.5CM or 6.5 PRC and leaning more towards the PRC.

*Savage 110 Ultralite

Pros: six pounds, adjustable trigger and stock, around $1100 retail, Savage guns are widely available, 5/8x24 threaded Proof barrel. Cons: Savage actions can be clunky (I owned a blind-mag .30-06 110 that was clunky and the new ones I've handled are the same) and I might end up having to change the stock if I don't like it.

*Mauser M12

Pros: around six and a half pounds, probably better fit and finish than a Savage, and very aesthetically pleasing. Cons: paying for the name brand, non-threaded barrel, sparse availability, and there's only two Mauser dealers in New England, where I live - granted I can buy online, but being able to handle a rifle first is always nice. I notice the M12 Black Impact has a threaded barrel, but it'll be tricky finding one for sale probably.

*Proof Glacier TI

Pros: sub-0.5 MOA per Proof, comes with all the features I'm looking for, between five and a half and six and a half pounds. Cons: built-to-order, meaning longer than an off-the-shelf rifle, and around $6500-6700 before scope, mount, bipod, and sling.

*Defiance Machine Deviant Ultralight Build

Pros: I can have a gun built to however I want it. Cons: it won't be cheap or quick.

Edit: see post no. 25.

Last edited:

peterk123

WKR
A fellow NESr on this site?

I purchased a Tikka T3x Lite stainless last year (in 308; wanted a traditional cartridge to load) with the intention of using it out west when I move. Fantastic gun, I think around 6lbs. Nice trigger too (adjustable). It is topped off with Leupold VX3i 3 x10. Of course, the furthest I can shoot at is 120 yards at our club, but it I can kill a penny at that distance.

Wapiti1

WKR
What about having the rifle you already have built on?

A Tikka would do a lot of what you want. I wouldn't pass that option over.

Weatherby has a couple of very good options as well in the backcountry and backcountry Ti series. Either Vanguard or Mark V.

Rbros LW hunter

Cooper Backcountry

Remington Model 7 with some upgrades.

There are a lot of options.

Jeremy

OP
C

What're you shooting, currently?

AK in 7.62x39 with a 1-5x24. Very fun gun to shoot but hunting ammo for 7.62x39 like Hornady Black SST starts dropping and loosing too much ballistic energy at around 200 yards. The receiver, gas system, and barrel of an AK don't really allow for substantial lightening.

N2TRKYS

WKR

A Tikka would do a lot of what you want. I wouldn't pass that option over.

Weatherby has a couple of very good options as well in the backcountry and backcountry Ti series. Either Vanguard or Mark V.

Rbros LW hunter

Cooper Backcountry

Remington Model 7 with some upgrades.

There are a lot of options.

Jeremy

X2 on the Model Seven. I’ve got 3(7 SAUM, 7-08, and 308) that have proven to be very accurate and handy little rifles.

Wapiti1

WKR
AK in 7.62x39 with a 1-5x24. Very fun gun to shoot but hunting ammo for 7.62x39 like Hornady Black SST starts dropping and loosing too much ballistic energy at around 200 yards. The receiver, gas system, and barrel of an AK don't really allow for substantial lightening.
OK. I didn't expect that answer. I expected 30-30 lever rifle. Nope, not going to cut it for your wants.

Keep in mind the scope will be about the cost of the rifle for a decent one.

Jeremy

OP
C
OK. I didn't expect that answer. I expected 30-30 lever rifle. Nope, not going to cut it for your wants.

Jeremy

.30-30 and 7.62x39 are about the same ballistically, they just function in very different guns. Same results, probably. Right, the optic cost is on my mind. I don't mind spending the extra money for a good optic, its just an additional cost and weight that I have to keep in mind.

robtattoo

WKR

Jeremy

Kinda blindsided me too! My money was on a Marlin. 45-70! 😄

My hard earned would go towards a T3x/A-Bolt/X-Bolt/M70 in whatever caliber tickles your pickle, a $300 scope & go hunt. No need to blow a few grand (unless you want to, no judgement here! )

Wapiti1

WKR
.30-30 and 7.62x39 are about the same ballistically, they just function in very different guns. Same results, probably. Right, the optic cost is on my mind. I don't mind spending the extra money for a good optic, its just an additional cost and weight that I have to keep in mind.
Oh, I'm quite familiar with the AK, and other rifles. I just don't see it used often for hunting. Most are fun guns for the range, or occasional hog getters.

On the low end of cost for a good scope a 3-9 or fixed 6X SWFA SS would fit your criteria well and be about as light as you will find. Nightforce SHV 3-10 would also be good. For 600 and in, you'd be well served by these options.

I've given some rifle suggestions that are good. Good luck in your quest.

Jeremy

The fact of the matter is almost all commercially available rifles can be accurate enough, with the right load, for the hunting distances that you mentioned.

I would strongly recommend taking a "beginner" shooting class. The primary reason is to fix any flaws you currently may have with your shooting fundamentals. Then once those (if any) are addressed, then book your longer range shooting class. The reason is flaws in your shooting fundamentals get magnified the further you shoot.

I have the Savage Ultralite in 6.5 PRC. The bolt is "sloppy" just like the Lightweight hunter. It does smooth out with use. This "slop" has never caused an issue at the range nor while hunting; this includes the same "sloppy" bolt on my Savage Lightweight Hunter in 308 Win. For the PRC, the Savage magazine only allows 2 rounds. For some that may be an issue but it is easy to have a loaded spare available if required. Mine shoots lights out.

Do look at the Savage Storm 110, at least for the 6.5 CM. It is about a pound heavier than the Ultralite but the bolt is smooth. I have one and it shoots both commercial 143 ELD-X and 147 gr ELD-M sub-MOA.

Do look at Tikka. I have T3X in 300 Win Mag and it is a shooter (190 gr Bergers @ 2900 fps). I have another T3X in 6.5 CM that shoots lights out (129 gr ABLR @ 2900 fps).

sdupontjr

WKR
I went to a Tikka .308 for some of the same reasons above, available ammo just about anywhere. My tikka will shoot Federal blue box 150's clover leaf. It will shoot Remington corelock 150's in just abot the same hole. And I'm new to shooting a lite rifle. I had a .308 built on a SS Rem 700 action with Shilen barrel, jewel trigger all the works and this stock Tikka will out shoot it with factory ammo. Although I haven't played around with it enough for longer range hunting and a vast arrangement of different ammo, but it will bug hole some readily available Walmart ammo at 100 yards.

I was told by several on here that if its a MOA rifle at 100, Its a MOA out to 400-500. It depends on your shooting ability at those distances.

WKR
Pick whatever rifle. For the scope I'd go with a SWFA 3x9 for around $500 or a used NXS 2.5-10x42 for around $1300. Get a very solid set of scope mounts to with it. Then run a drop chart on JBM ballistics and start burning up ammo.

"Lighter" and "Longer Range" are ideas at odds with each other but definitely possible to have a lighter rifle that is better at long range than your current rifle.

The Glacier Ti is way more $ than it's worth and frankly the stock design (grip) sucks unless you have Shaq sized hands.

There are a number of gunsmiths who stock parts for standard builds that might fit your needs quicker than a full custom and waiting for part orders.

I've been very happy with my T3x also. Im comfortable shooting it to 500 on game currently. I'm very interested in bergaras also but they don't make a left handed option. Been running swfa's on my rifles lately. A 3-15 and a 3-9hd, both solid and I've never had the turrets spin while hunting, even strapped to my backpack or doing some gnarly climbs.
I think 6.5 creedmoor would be perfect for you. Cheaper and easier to shoot than a prc in a light rifle so it will be a little easier to master.
Fyi ammo is very hard to find right now due to the current political situation.

I was told by several on here that if its a MOA rifle at 100, Its a MOA out to 400-500. It depends on your shooting ability at those distances.

Not true. Wind, velocity spread, bullet BC variance, etc all cause your groups to open up more the further out you go. Might not be a huge difference at 400 yards with mild conditions but it makes a difference.

OP
C
I've been very happy with my T3x also. Im comfortable shooting it to 500 on game currently. I'm very interested in bergaras also but they don't make a left handed option. Been running swfa's on my rifles lately. A 3-15 and a 3-9hd, both solid and I've never had the turrets spin while hunting, even strapped to my backpack or doing some gnarly climbs.
I think 6.5 creedmoor would be perfect for you. Cheaper and easier to shoot than a prc in a light rifle so it will be a little easier to master.
Fyi ammo is very hard to find right now due to the current political situation.

I was planning on finally getting into handloading specifically for this rifle. PRC allows for using magnum rifle primers, which are around. But as you mention, CM has less recoil.

A lot of guys have been mentioning Tikkas here, so I took a look and the T3x Lite Polyfade and Roughtech are interesting.

wildcat33

WKR
Sounds like you're a man with good taste (edit: except for dusting deer with an AK! hahha), which rules out the Honda Civic (As much as I like tikka they are unsuited for admiration). Never handled an M12 myself, but they look classy. So that was my vote. Not on the list but I'd also look for an M70 supergrade or Kimber classic.

There was a really good deal floating around in the classifieds for a Proof. Might check that out.

Last edited:

Harvey_NW

WKR
If you've got the coin and the itch for a custom just buy once cry once and settle for nothing less than exactly what you want. If you'd rather save some on the rifle and buy an optic worth its salt don't rule out the Ruger American. They have the 6.5PRC available now in the go wild camo stock and bronze cerakote barreled action. My predator 6 creed shoots almost anything I load for it at least MOA, and sub 1/2 MOA after load work, and my buddies 6.5 creed does the same.