Need a mid-price optic: Sig, Vortex, Athlon

Jumpalot

FNG
I'm looking at getting a new scope for a build I'm doing. Need some thoughts on Sig Whiskey5 3-15, Sig Tango4 4-16, Vortex PST GEN2 3-15 and Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 2.5-15. Main concerns are turrets and low light performance. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Build will be pretty lightweight and relatively cheap as I'm basically just putting a new barrel and stock on an existing a 6.5x284. Will be used to pack around on day hunts and kill everything up to elk.
I'm not sold on the Whiskey5 as it has a covered windage turret, but it has numbers on it in case I decide to remove cap and then dial windage, which I prefer.
Tango4 ticks most of the boxes for me, but not sure reticle will be visible enough at lowest power, and I can't find any info on turret repeatability.
PST Gen2 seems to be my best bet, but haven't heard any real long term reports on turrets. I already have three Gen 1's and haven't had any issues with them.
Ares Gen2 has same concern about reticle on lowest power.

Thanks in advance for any help.

tdhanses

WKR
Have had all of the ones your looking at and would go Athlon by far, but I’d get the Athlon Midas Tac unless you need illumination and an exposed windage turret.

Athlon has the better optics imo. The reticle doesn’t stand out to be an issue for me, ffp but on the lowest power you’ll not be using it for wind adjustments. My Whiskey5 I think has issues as it fogs up really bad if there is any moisture such as rain. Sig customer service sucks and I’ll not be buying from them again, still waiting for my free turret which I sent in for over a year ago and called in on 3 times.

Vortex glass just doesn’t play well with my eyes, Athlon has the same warranty so that isn’t a plus for Vortex. Athlon is still a small operation and easy to deal with and focusing on quality and not warranty replacements. Scope isn’t any good if it fails while you are hunting.

The Athlon has the best low light performance out of the ones I have, I’ve now got 2 of the Ares BTR’s 2.5-15 and 1 Midas Tac 6-24. Sold the Vortex HST which is the same as the PST minus illumination. The Sig is either going back or in the trash can as no way I’d sell it to anyone with its issues.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Another optic worth considering is the SWFA which will be the most reliable out of all the options for dialing and price is in the same ballpark for the 3-15. Just saying this since there so much long term data to back it up, I haven’t had an Athlon fail me and mine has traveled 1,000’s of miles and not been handled with care. I have a few thousand rounds under my first Ares BTR and have dialed the crap out of it shooting Long Range with my 22.

Last edited:
OP
Jumpalot

Jumpalot

FNG
I've looked at the Midas Tac. The problem is I only use MOA and 6x on low end is too much when you're hunting timber.

tdhanses

WKR
I've looked at the Midas Tac. The problem is I only use MOA and 6x on low end is too much when you're hunting timber.

They have a lower power as well, think it is a 4-16, can’t remember. The Ares in 2.5-15 is great you just pay a little more for extra features vs the Midas Tac.