Need a new backpack

Drdantdc

FNG
Hey everyone. I just want to say, I love me some ROKSLIDE!
So, here is my question. I have been using the Hardcore Hunt Pack for the last five years. My buddy and I backpack in 8-10 miles each year for mule deer here in Wa. state. After five yrs. of using my pack, I've lost a little confidence in its reliability. Too many trips going in heavy and coming out heavier. I've always liked external packs for heavy loads, but I'm 44 now and wt. is an issue. I was pretty set on the Sitka Bivy 45, but now I think I like the Kifaru T2. 5200ci is plenty for how we hunt, 4500 would be ok. So what do you you guys think? Oh, I like the Mystery Ranch also, but they are kinda heavy.

Beastmode

WKR
Is the Sitka that bad?

The few people I know that have had them didn't have very good things to say about them. Take a serious look at Kifaru. I have used a Mystery Ranch 6500 and you are right about the weight. Didn't really like the way the pack was laid out either.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Another very satisfied multi-time Kifaru customer here!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Is the Sitka that bad?

Yes, I think they are! I have had two Sitka packs, Both had issues with weight. They are not in the same league as MR or Kifaru. I would buy a Eberlestock Blue Widow before I bought another Sitka pack..... Just my 10 cents

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Easy answer, buy Kifaru. That way you don't buy a Sitka, sell it, buy a Mystery Ranch, sell it and then buy a Kifaru. You will save the head aches and get the best of the best right away.

OP
Drdantdc

Drdantdc

FNG
Easy answer, buy Kifaru. That way you don't buy a Sitka, sell it, buy a Mystery Ranch, sell it and then buy a Kifaru. You will save the head aches and get the best of the best right away.

Thanks guys. I have to say, I was interested in the sitka before I did some real research. I just wanted some conformation. T2 it is!!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
DSC02168.jpg

Here's a picture of a Bivy 45 with the shoulder straps ripped off, sleeping bag zipper ripped out and belt torn in half....other than that, it was perfect!

OP
Drdantdc

Drdantdc

FNG
DSC02168.jpg

Here's a picture of a Bivy 45 with the shoulder straps ripped off, sleeping bag zipper ripped out and belt torn in half....other than that, it was perfect!
LMAO... How can their clothing be so good and their packs crap. I have seen similar pics, but this is the worst.

dotman

WKR
LMAO... How can their clothing be so good and their packs crap. I have seen similar pics, but this is the worst.

Because you can't just ride your name into quality pack building, why do you think it took Patrick 11 years of testing the KU line to bring it out. Just say not all companies know what works, hence why I would stay away from Kuiu packs also. Spend your money once and in 10 years it'll save you money over buying 5 or more $350 packs that just don't work.

stephen b

WKR
Your getting good advice above concerning the Kifaru packs. That is what I would get- simply because they carry so well; the best really that I have found.

I like a number of people above have been through the gamut in regards to packs. They are very personal in how they fit. But I like many above have had MR, and others and now own a Kifaru - and for serious load hauling and all day comfort- they are the best I have used. I also used a Molle frame set-up from WPS for many years- so I know all about the type of pack you have been using. As far as the Sitka goes- I have not had one before, and I still would not look at those; too many reports of unsatisfied customers from what I have read. Plus- foreign made Sitka vs. USA made packs- no brainer!

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
There many people who hate Eberlestock J-Series packs and many who love them. The Blue Widow is an awesome pack that performs extremely well if it is fitted right. Torso length is the main concern for the Eberlestock J-Series packs since they come only with 24 inch long frames. If Eberlestock J-Series pack isn't long enough for you, then don't bother getting a Blacks Creek or Mystery Ranch pack. Kifaru Timberlines or UL's with 26 inch stays will give extra lift. Badlands 4500's aren't a bad option either, but don't match the durability of Eberlestock or Mystery Ranch from my experience.

Kifaru UL's are the lightest high performance hunting packs on the market. Mystery Ranch packs are extremely durable, but very heavy. Eberlestock J-Series packs, particularly the Skycrane II, are extremely versatile.

On the other hand, Nate Simmons wrote nice Heavy Hauler Pack review and noted that your Hardcore Hunt pack is an amazing heavy hauler, being the best heavy hauler in the review against the Kifaru UL 3700, Badlands Ox, Eberlestock Blue Widow, and a Blacks Creek pack. Do your research and try to get your hands on a few different packs before buying a new one. Fit is the most important part in finding a comfortable heavy hauler or multi-day pack.

Buy a Kifaru the first time and never look back. All the "off the shelf one size fits SOME" pack are just that. Some worse that others. The super high quality, fit, and carry comfort are just incredible with kifaru.

Kinda like optics. Buy once...cry once. Spen the money on a Kifaru pack. In the end you won't be sorry. They are the best you can get.

Rizzy

WKR
You can really knock a lot of weight off your load out with a Kifaru Ku series pack and still have the load hauling capability's you need for getting the animal out.