NEED A NEW GAS RANGE (FOR THE KITCHEN)

Oregonboy

WKR
Hey everyone,

We are in the process of buying a home and it appear we will need to replace the current gas range/stove. Budget is about $1500 although I'd be willing to stretch a bit as it's something we use every day.

Anything new on the market I should look at? Anything to avoid?

Thank you!

Trial153

WKR
Just me.
5 or six burners. The grates have to be flat and continuous across the whole thing. If you dont have a separate oven ....then a Double oven is great I'd you can get it. especially if you can forgo the warming tray.

Whisky

WKR
Gas is gas. You're mainly buying for looks tbh.

I respectfully disagree. Far quicker heat up, especially when cooking with cast and carbon steel, and much more reactive control of temps.

I have a Kitchenaid 5 burner gas range. I like it, but if I had a do-over I would do as Trial suggested and get one with a double oven.

Tod osier

WKR
Hey everyone,

We are in the process of buying a home and it appear we will need to replace the current gas range/stove. Budget is about $1500 although I'd be willing to stretch a bit as it's something we use every day.

Anything new on the market I should look at? Anything to avoid?

Thank you!

samsung has the highest reliability, if that matters according to consumer reports. Air fryer in oven is the new must have feature. A continuous top as trial said is very nice. Make sure there is at least one really high btu burner (in the 20k range).

wytx

WKR
Ranch house where we work and stay has a gas range and electric oven, not a fan. Go all gas.
It is a nice Viking though but the oven takes forever to heat up.
I also agree with more burners the better.
One big oven works for me but I'm not cooking for a crowd usually.

KBC

WKR
Haha I will disagree with a couple guys.
my parents just got new Samsung appliances almost 2 years ago and they are junk, lots of issues.
I bought a new one about a year and a half ago I can’t remember the brand lol but it’s a gas cooktop and electric oven. I love it, the electric oven I find is far more precise compared to our old gas oven.

Legend

WKR
Ditch the gas....induction is awesome! Nothing has heat control like induction. Also, a good induction unit will boil water faster. And you have a smooth glass surface for easy cleanup. Never going back to gas.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
When I say gas is gas, I mean it's all a simple valve and thermocouple. It's a really small space to heat, heating up in 5 min vs 7 shouldn't have you losing sleep. Gas stoves run forever if you keep the crud off it. I pulled a 35 yr old stove out of a house because it beyond cleanable, not because it wouldn't work.

Features I hate on mine, the griddle.. completely pointless and anytime I justify using it I remember why I hate it, just another dish to wash and it's one long piece that's won't fit in a sink or dishwasher.

JCohHTX

FNG
Bluestar. Had it at my last house and just put one in at the new house. No electronics to break, which is how manufacturers build in planned obsolescence. It has the highest btus available for a home range, and when you remove a grate, it becomes a crazy hot wok ring. We have 4 burner with build in griddle in the middle.

netman

WKR
I have a six burner Viking. It runs on propane. It’s wonderful!
I go hang out on my cousins shrimp boats in Louisiana regularly. They have eliminated all their stoves w ovens. They are using the NuWave induction products. I am a big fan of the induction cookers. I bought a NuWave hot plate to make gumbos and soups with using my black iron pot. It works wonderful!

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
Thanks for the feedback so far. I was checking out the dual fuel stoves (gas on top and electric oven) and it seems like the best of both worlds. They’re spendy but it’s gonna be something we use every for 20+ years, so I don’t mind

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
We absolutely love our Wolf gas range. Not cheap but one of the best things we have done for our kitchen.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I realize I'm late to this one, but we went for the dual oven, and if we had it to do over again we'd get a single oven. The dual ovens are too short for even heat. The top one is really only good for pizza or tater tots. The bottom one is always noticably hotter in back.

What we do like and would definitely get again
is the front controls (exposed backsplash behind range/no control stack in back), the center griddle (which we use all the time and almost never wash), and the largest burner has a double ring (no cold spot in the middle of large pans, and can simmer small pots on just the inner ring).

Ours is a GE, converted to propane.

JoeDirt

WKR
I converted to a standard gas range (Whirlpool). I wish the control knobs were more precise. Sometimes 4 isnt 4 its more like 5 or 6. I kinda have to adjust the heat by visual flame heights.

Other than that if you get a gas oven try to get spark ignition. Hot surface igniters wear out over time causing lower cook temps.

I might avoid all the fancy gadgets, save the gadgets for the countertop appliances and get something basic but high quality with high BTU's.

Cooking on a wok makes for quick and easy dinners for the family and thats something you cannot do with anything electric. I wish my standard range had more BTU's.

I would also stay away from the 5th middle burner, if you boil something over that middle burner always gets splashed and the burner holes plug up over time. Make sure you can disassemble the burners completely all the way down to the orifice. Lots of cheaper residential ranges will not do this making cleaning almost impossible.

Last edited: