Need a new pack please help me kuiu or exo

BlaserLRH

FNG
Hello, here we go again Kuiu vs Exo...

I need a solid backcountry pack, trying to go as lightweight as possible.

By checking the NEW GEN. Kuiu Pro LT 5500 @ 4.2 lbs
Vs the Exo K3 4800 @ 5lb 10 oz , I am leaning forward the Kuiu... by weight, price and the bag configuration.

So, my question is, if the KUIU is a keeper, or just a step before upgrading to an Exo or SG ?

Some people complaint about previous kuiu packs, however I have read that the new design is much better.

I see that everybody loves their Exos and wont look further, however some Kuiu owners move ahead..

Have a sitka bivy 3000, eberlestocks, and badlands. All day packs. Badlands are very comfortable for me, but they are heavy, and eberlestock even heavier...

Thanks for your advice

Enviado desde mi SM-N950F mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
All I'm going say is I had a Kuiu, got an Exo, sold the Kuiu and bought a second Exo so now I have two. A K2 3599 and 2000.

Drenalin

WKR
It all comes down to which one fits you best. I tried the newest Kuiu stuff because of the weight and bag layout of the LT5500, but the frame just didn't work for me at all. Exo's does, so that's where I'm at.

I have a K2 with K3 belt and a new KUIU Pro 3600. The KUIU is ok, and I’m still getting to know it. There are things I like about it, and if you find during their sales, it’s hard to be the price.

But as of right now, the EXO is going on the mountain and the KUIU will be what I keep all my day hike stuff in with the family. I don’t see that changing.

Gone4Days

WKR
EXO made in the USA. Kuiu is made overseas.

All EXO does is make pack systems, and they do it well.

Last edited:

Venom One

WKR
I truly appreciate the guys who post objective, thoughtful, substantiated information. Regardless of which pack they prefer, their feedback is valuable. On the flip side, biased, non-objective replies hold zero value and often include some barbed comment to make you feel guilty if you don't agree with their choice.

OP: you arrived at your two choices for your own reasons. Both packs will have supporters and haters. Only you can decide which is right for you. I currently have a Kuiu and like it, but I'd buy an EXO without any hesitation and feel confident it was going to be an excellent pack.

Btaylor

WKR
OP, you didnt ask about these but since you mentioned wanting a light pack, you might want to take a look at Seek Outside if you havent already. I have one and it has been a really good pack for me and will handle more weight than I can. I also have a kuiu venture that is my saddle hunting whitetail pack. In their day pack line so not what you are looking for but it has been a great pack as well from a quality standpoint. Best friend has an Exo and it too is a great pack. Those 3, kifaru and SG all make great gear but packs are like boots, one is going to fit and work better for you than the others.

I have not tried the Exo, but run a KUIU Icon pro 6000. I actually broke the stay on my old one a few years ago (a known issue on the early packs). Sent them a couple of pics and they sent me a brand new newer generation one no questions asked. I did have to mail the old one back, but I had about 5 seasons on it. I felt the CS was really good. I actually haven't drawn a tag in the last few years so it is brand new sitting on the shelf, but in inspecting they pretty much fixed all my minor gripes about the 1st gen packs that I had. I like the rigging system on the KUIU's. Much like the Osprey setup.

That said, not necessarily a KUIU fanboy, but there are a lot of good packs out there. Just have to try them and make sure you find a good match.

I have a Kuiu Ultra 6000, with an upgraded suspension to the new Pro suspension. I have packed at least a dozen elk with it and it is very comfortable with a heavy load, and stays tight to my body in nasty terrain. I have managed to damage it a few times (tore a strap off it - bar tack failed, they gave me a brand new next generation bag, and also pulled a shoulder strap apart, by jerking it off the ground by the shoulder straps with 100+ lbs in it, probably my fault, as I didn't pick it up cleanly or properly...) Gave me brand new pro suspension to replace it, no questions asked), as it is very light weight (the original Ultra is even lighter than the current packs at sub 4 lbs), but their customer service is top notch, always have taken care of me quickly, and without question when I have managed to break something. It is a first generation pack, so the new ones have been beefed up a bit. I will say, I got it before there were many other light weight options, so I didn't have much to compare it to, other than 7 lb Kifarus, which I already had a 7 lb US made Dana Designs to fill my heavy pack slot. If I was buying it again I would probably lean towards a US made pack such as the EXO, but ultimately, load them both up with 75lbs+ and see which one feels better. I don't have any experience with the EXOs so can't comment on how they compare. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another KUIU, especially if I could score a sale price.

87TT

WKR
I've heard good and bad about customer service from Kuiu but nothing but good from Exo. Personally when the belt buckle on my Kuiu broke, I reached out to them and never heard back. Ended up finding my own replacement after even offering to buy one from Kuiu.
I was talking to the Exo guys at an archery shoot once and mentioned that my belt buckle on my Ezo felt a little weak and they gave me a new upgraded version for free even though mine was still working.

BBob

WKR
I went Kuiu quite some time ago now. I had an Eberlestock at the time and it was horrible to carry. I wanted to go back to something like I had with my old Dana’s that fit and carried well. I tried a few friends packs and the Kuiu fit me great so I went that route. They were cheaper and lighter than some of the others. I now have two, my original with the Ultra suspension and another with the new Pro. I prefer the Ultra with lighter loads say 30-35 lbs and under and the Pro for larger bags and heavier weight. I keep the Ultra setup most of the time with the 1800 bag for quick scouting trips, elk run and gun hunts and for throwing weight plates in it for daily training. I had one little warranty issue on my original Ultra pack. It wasn’t a big deal and I could have kept using it but they sent a new waist belt out right away to fix it. Maybe someday I’ll move to something else but these two are serving me well for now.

I'll add: Contrary to the numbers posted on this site the number of Kuiu packs used in my group outnumber the others by about double. I'm the only one so far that had any sort of warranty. I'm not aware of any warranty issues with any of the other well known brands either.

Last edited:
Aside from the K3 frames that they have replaced for everyone, has anyone had an Exo frame or other load lifting component break on them? I can’t recall any examples.

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Exo K3 with the 4800 and 6400 bags. Customer service is second to none. My two minor complaints about these bags are 1) no velcro strap keeps 2) no molle. I understand both are omitted to keep weight down. I would love strap keeps because I hate having straps flying around and dangling. I can always find places to tuck them in, so not a huge deal. More of an OCD thing. The only thing I want molle for is to attach my FAK. I prefer it on the outside of my pack for SHTF situations where seconds matter with access to things like a TQ. I've played around with ways to do it with the K3, like the hip belt and the lateral compression straps, but none of them worked very well for me. Ended up just putting all my FAK items in a Marsupial zipperoo pouch and keeping it in the lid.

PatrickW

FNG
EXO all the way…

Played with a buddies Kuiu and it just felt a little flimsy in comparison. Not saying the Kuiu is a bad pack…

And I have to say the customer service and attention to deal on the EXO is fantastic.

I'll follow up on my KUIU warranty experience, since there have been a few comments on it and their CS.

If you have an issue with a KUIU item, the process is to go to their website and submit a warranty form (linked on their warranty policy page at https://www.kuiu.com/pages/warranty). It's very similar to the warranty claim process I've used with other outdoor companies (e.g. Arc'teryx), including a field to describe the issue and a spot to submit photos. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a stitching issue on a 3-year-old KUIU item I had, so I went to their warranty page and submitted a claim along with the photo from my phone. I received a confirmation of my claim through email, then I received an email back in two business days (written by a human) telling me that my claim was covered, the replacement would arrive in 7-10 business days, and to please send back my item with the pre-paid postage label they attached to the email. Done!