Need a new SA deer slayer

jsimonh

FNG
New to the forum, stumbled on it while googling used binoculars and seems like a knowledgeable place from what I've been reading.

I shoot a lot of PRS/NRL style matches but go on a yearly long range doe hunt with a couple of buddies. The last couple of years I've used a 6.5x47L barrel that I occasionally use at matches. The barrel is slow, 2800ish with a 135 berger classic hunter. 600 and in its not a big deal but pushing to 800 the bullet is just coming in like an artillery shell lol. Short story long I'm looking for something with more speed to keep trajectory respectable. I'd like something I could still shoot a match with and stay in the 6.5mm size. Thinking 6.5PRC, 6.5 SAUM, or even 6.5-284. Any and all comments welcome! Thanks!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Check out the .25, 6.5 and 7mm SST or SS from Rich Sherman if you want a true short action magnum with long high BC bullets.

They are based off the 7 saum case but pure short action. My 7 SS is faster than a 7 mag and 7 saum, uses 7 grains less powder than the 7 mag.

For deer, you could also use just a 25 creedmoor, you'll have more velocity than the 6.5 cm, better wind and drop, too. Barrel life will be better too.

For a strictly deer gun, I would love a 25 SST shooting the 131. Short barreled and sling them fast.

Otherwise, a 6 creedmoor will be a deer and match rifle.

OP
J

jsimonh

FNG
Check out the .25, 6.5 and 7mm SST or SS from Rich Sherman if you want a true short action magnum with long high BC bullets.

They are based off the 7 saum case but pure short action. My 7 SS is faster than a 7 mag and 7 saum, uses 7 grains less powder than the 7 mag.

For deer, you could also use just a 25 creedmoor, you'll have more velocity than the 6.5 cm, better wind and drop, too. Barrel life will be better too.

For a strictly deer gun, I would love a 25 SST shooting the 131. Short barreled and sling them fast.

Otherwise, a 6 creedmoor will be a deer and match rifle.

I'll definitely check out the SS line. The 25 creedmoor peaked my interest with the ACE bullets a while ago, just didn't like the one bullet option. With Bergers new 135 grain I may re-explore that route. Gonna stay away from 6mm because my main comp gun is a 6 Dasher. Thanks for the reply!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No problem. There is a good Facebook group for the Shermans if you are interested.

You will find the Shermans are like the Dasher. Basically, they like certain loads and powders, and are super easy to load. There is something about the short fat case that makes for efficient and precise shooters. My load dev for my 7 ss was fire form 100 peices, then load up the recommended 60.5 grains of RL26 and I had a one hole shooter with ES under 20...

The 6.5 SST would be the 6.5 I personally would build. Has more velocity than the creed, but isn't as overbore. Running the Dasher, you know that max velocity isn't always better. Consistency is best.

Funny, I ran 6xc for a couple years in matches. Started hunting more, and decided to build a 6mm deer rifle. I am building a 6bra in a Howa Mini action, 20" barrel and will shoot the 95 vld. Should be a 750 yard gun.

If you have a 6 dasher, you should just build a 6 creed and run the 115 dtacs or Bergers. Maybe even the new 108 hunting. They will kill any deer. The 115 will get you to 800 at terminal velocity even at 2925 fps.

Check out this thread. Put a match bullet in the boiler room and stuff dies.

OP
J

jsimonh

FNG
A couple of years ago I used my Dasher to take a doe at 670. She didn't run very far, maybe 30yds and fell over. I have a lot of confidence in that gun but I was still nervous because of the lack of bullet weight. The main reason for a little more velocity is we hunt off a small mountain and missing the range by 15-20yds seems to make a huge difference at distance with a slow moving bullet. Both my main guns are built on Bighorn TL3s, so I tend to stick to prefits built for them. I know the PRC is available from several vendors, I'll have to check on the 6.5 SST.

archp625

WKR
New to the forum, stumbled on it while googling used binoculars and seems like a knowledgeable place from what I've been reading.

I shoot a lot of PRS/NRL style matches but go on a yearly long range doe hunt with a couple of buddies. The last couple of years I've used a 6.5x47L barrel that I occasionally use at matches. The barrel is slow, 2800ish with a 135 berger classic hunter. 600 and in its not a big deal but pushing to 800 the bullet is just coming in like an artillery shell lol. Short story long I'm looking for something with more speed to keep trajectory respectable. I'd like something I could still shoot a match with and stay in the 6.5mm size. Thinking 6.5PRC, 6.5 SAUM, or even 6.5-284. Any and all comments welcome! Thanks!
Any of the calibers you mentioned would be great for deer and the occasional elk.

FLS

WKR
If you want to stay 6.5, my vote is 6.5 x 284.Good brass is (was) easy to find, but it works best out of a medium or long action. My buddy took his on our Antelope hunt this year. He was shooting 140 VLDs about 2950. It really didn’t kill any deader than my 6.5 Creedmoor pushing a 130 at 2895 ( no pressure signs). I shot mine at 675, he shot his at 550. I shoot some PRS too and none of the other calibers listed except the 6 Creedmoor are practical to shoot in a match, due to recoil or mag capacity.

Last edited:
OP
J

jsimonh

FNG
If you want to stay 6.5, my vote is 6.5 x 284.Good brass is (was) easy to find, but it works best out of a medium or long action. My buddy took his on our Antelope hunt this year. He was shooting 140 VLDs about 2950. It really didn’t kill any deader than my 6.5 Creedmoor pushing a 130 at 2895 ( no pressure signs). I shot mine at 675, he shot his at 550. I shoot some PRS too and none of the other calibers listed except the 6 Creedmoor are practical to shoot in a match, due to recoil or mag capacity.

I shot a straight 284 with 180 hybrids for a while several years ago so I've got familiarity with the case. I built it on a LA though. I need to look at the OAL of it and see if it'll be a viable option in my TL3.

OP
J

jsimonh

FNG
So I've checked on the SS and the SST and they look fantastic. But after checking out Straight Jackets list of available calibers I'm drawn to the PRC. Probably will go with it in a shorter than SAMMI freebore spec. I really like the 135 Berger or even the 140 EOL. But my understanding is that the shorter freebore will still work with Hornady factory offering giving me an out if I don't want to reload.