Need a new sleeping bag

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
Hi everone, i am planning a pack hunt this year and my current bag just isn't going with me as it is too big to fit into the sleeping bag compartment. I am a warm sleeper (meaning i like to be warm) so i was thinking a bag rated down to between 20 - 0 would do. What are you guys using that is warm and compresses down small. I am looking to spend no more than 300. Anyway, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!:D

gulicemo

Banned
Where are you going and what time of year? Lots of good threads on sleeping bags if you use the search function.

OP
oldgrowth

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
Couesbitten, I am considering a slikbag with the 0 degree rating. That would put me just a bit over my budget but i am not opposed to spending a little more if the bag is warm enough. I want to make sure i will be warm enough if it gets cold. Although, i am all ears if anyone knows of any comparable bags that are cheaper. My brother and i once spent the night out in the woods with sub par bags and it got down into the single digits. We ended up using rocks from the fire pit wrapped with our shirts, then put in our sleeping bags to help stay warm. The next morning our shirts were burnt to a crisp, but it kept us from freezing to death (barely). That was the coldest night i ever spent in the woods. We would have been better off staying up all night feeding the fire wood to stay warm. The bag i have now is rated down to 0 degrees but it wont fit into the lower compartment of my DT2, in fact it takes up most of the room in the upper compartment. The picture on thier site shows a slikbag rated at 40 degrees. Would a slikbag rated at 0 degrees fit into the bottom chamber of my pack? I guess what i am trying to ask is what are the warmest bags available at my budget. Most bags i have read about on here are rated at higher temps.

OP
oldgrowth

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
Gulicemo, I am in northern ca. and i will be at about 8000 feet in late sept. I know it isin't exactly the coldest climate around here but i am a wuss when it comes to the cold(100+ heat is no problem). In this elevation things can change quickly and i want to be prepared, and i cant afford different bags for different times of the year, so i would rather have an overkill bag and just unzip if it gets too warm (which is doubtful):).

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If down is not an issue, look at a used Montbell. I have a 0 degree bag from them, you will enjoy it.

Western Mountaineering down bags are where it's at. Quality is unreal and they are warm below their rating.

If your going synthetic then it hard to beat a Kifaru slick bag

If down is not an issue, look at a used Montbell. I have a 0 degree bag from them, you will enjoy it.

I've got a 30 degree montbell in the classifieds :) Shameless plug!

I slept in it down to 15 degrees here in michigan with my spindrift and baselayer bottom with socks and was warm.

Lawnboi

WKR
You just missed out I just sold my marmot lithium bag for 250.

Kifaru would be the way id go. High quality for much cheaper than the high end down bags.

OP
oldgrowth

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the sugestions guys.:cool:. Montbell looks like they make a nice bag and around my budget too. The Western Mountaineering bags really look awesome, and probably more what i am looking for as far as warmth goes, but a little too pricey for me right now unless i can find a used one for sale. Ohhiitznik, I am not sure that would be warm enough with a 30 degree rating, but at 1 lb 6 oz, man that thing is light.

gulicemo

Banned
Gulicemo, I am in northern ca. and i will be at about 8000 feet in late sept. I know it isin't exactly the coldest climate around here but i am a wuss when it comes to the cold(100+ heat is no problem). In this elevation things can change quickly and i want to be prepared, and i cant afford different bags for different times of the year, so i would rather have an overkill bag and just unzip if it gets too warm (which is doubtful):).

Sounds like we hunt the same area! I have a cheap 20 degree synthetic and have frozen my tail off in it in 30 degree nights. Having had that experience, my next bag was a decent 0 degree down bag. The 0 degree bag is borderline too hot for CA general season (and I'm a fairly cold sleeper).

That said, a mid to high quality 20 degree bag will suit you well in my opinion. Down or synthetic, it's personal preference. My next bag will be a 20 degree slick bag! You truly get what you pay for in sleeping bags.

OP
oldgrowth

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
Gulicemo, I gotta agree. I have only bought mediocre stuff in the past (that was all i could afford) but i am going to step up my gear this year to avoid unnecessary discomfort.I don't have a preference between down or synthetic. I just want to get something that will work in worst conditions i am likely to see. I am also picking up a shelter this year (something i never had before). I am looking at a kifaru megatarp. Between theese two things i am going to be broke, but i don't think i will regret it (unless my wife sees the reciepts).

gulicemo

Banned
Lots of great bags in the 200-300$ range. 300$ will get you the regular 20* slick bag which by all accounts is a bomb proof bag. Light weight for a synthetic, compressible for a synthetic.

Down is lighter for the warmth, but synthetic keeps its loft (read: warmth (relatively), dead air space) when wet.

Mike7

WKR
The 30 deg montbell super spiral is what I have and can vouch that it is a great bag. I have slept down to 15 deg with the montbell bag, MB sleeping bag cover/bivy, and baselayers. I am thinking about getting a quilt for May-Sep, and will then have my Montbell for Oct-Nov...and could use the quilt + Montbell for the middle of the winter. Just another option for you to consider.

There was a Feathered Friends bag in the classified section.I've been a W M guy for a long time but Feathered Friends has a great rep.
Tim

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I know others might not like the idea but I got a down 20* bag from Coleman for $89 on clearance. At somewhere in the low 30's to upper 20's I slept in boxers with it unzipped and was still hot. Really temp rating depends on if you sleep hot or cold. I am a hot sleeper so it works for me.