Need a pack for work

Howdy,
I'm doing raptor surveys in Utah for work (from Provo to Vernal) and need a daypack. I carry a water bladder, raingear, binos usually in a harness but sometimes in the pack, spotting scope and tripod, trauma kit, and lunch. So it doesn't need to have a lot of structure but the cheap pack I am using now will wear out my back after a few days of hard hiking so I need an upgrade. I would like a pack I could use on day hunts and hikes in the future. Also, I know lead times are crazy right now but I need it asap so no custom stuff that will take months. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Stone Glacier Avail
Exo K3 1800 (Overkill, but in stock)
Those are the two I can think of that will likely be available right away and not sold at REI.

For a day pack, nothing wrong with the brands sold at REI. If money is a concern, I would get an Osprey/Gregory/Deuter/MR as load hauling is not on the agenda.

Just make sure it fits.

OP
W
Awesome, thanks! Job pays well enough I can justify spending some on a good pack.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Awesome, thanks! Job pays well enough I can justify spending some on a good pack.
Well, I stopped using my day packs after getting an Exo and the Exo goes everywhere with me. I have the SG Avail for flying, and it might start getting the nod for light hikes.

OP
W
I fly a lot so I like doing contract work so the idea of having a bag I can do it all with is appealing but I know not always realistic. I like the Avail, and I could always get a frame in the future for packing heavier.

topher89

WKR
Stone Glacier Avail. Right size for daypack and comfortable with a moderate load. Perfect for a bladder, some layers and some gear.

I carry a Kanjera pack every day. As well as hike, hunt, and travel with it.

Comfortable, well thought out, looks good enough (I carry some places being presentable matters) tough and they have a chest mount bino harness that attaches.

Austink47

WKR
Kifaru 14’r was the first thing that cake to mind. It would be an investment but you would have it forever. Might be included in the sale they have going on. I have a avail and it would be a tight fit with lunch and a spotter.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Kifaru 14’r was the first thing that cake to mind. It would be an investment but you would have it forever. Might be included in the sale they have going on. I have a avail and it would be a tight fit with lunch and a spotter.
It is all in how you pack. I made a 5 day business trip with only the Avail and found it to have enough room.

bozeman

WKR
Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 35! use it, travel with it.....run on Camofire 35% off all the time.....

wesfromky

WKR
You might check into the Mystery Ranch day packs, like the two day or three day assault packs. They should have some to ship now, though the colors might be a bit limited. MR might be a bit heavier then some of the others, but they are crazy durable.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stone Glacier Avail
Exo K3 1800 (Overkill, but in stock)
Those are the two I can think of that will likely be available right away and not sold at REI.

For a day pack, nothing wrong with the brands sold at REI. If money is a concern, I would get an Osprey/Gregory/Deuter/MR as load hauling is not on the agenda.

Just make sure it fits.

no experience with the Exo, but I concur the Avail sounds just about perfect for what you're describing