Need a shelter/tent/tipi for cold weather... Suggestions please.

blackdawg

WKR
I agree, the Alaska tent and tarp offerings or go the wall tent route. A heat source of propane or wood is priceless. Backpacking deep in the cold is tough, consider studying what the guys climbing the tall peaks are using for clothing, shelter, bags,etc.

dog812

WKR
I have gone through this season exactly what you are... I bought 9 different tents, testing them, selling them, trying something else.
I started the season with my wall tent for anything more then 5 days. And a summer tent for backpacking in.
Have tried all different kinds... And realized same as everyone says.... There is no one and done tent. Yesterday I bought a seek outside lbo to try.... Well see if I like it... Who knows... It's pretty easy to sell shelters around and buy used ones to test.
I'd have to agree about the pad, my xtherm made a big difference.

mrgreen

WKR
Hey guys, I need some help picking a shelter for cold weather. I have done research and read threads around here and I know tipi's are all the rage. They seem like a great, albeit expensive option. If possible I would to start this thread and 'thinking out loud' as well as get everyone else's opinion to decide what the best option is for my needs.

My current tent is a 3 season REI Quarter Dome 3. I team that with a REI Igneo 19 degree bag (Down 700 fill).

* I think that looks like a good tent= big for solo, but good if/when you bring the GF.

* Just because the bag maker rates the bag at 19 doesn't mean it'll work at that temp for everyone. the quote "temp ratings are a moving target" comes to mind. A bag right at the temp edge can feel inadequate when you're fatigued or stressed but warm in the same temp if you're already comfortable and well fed.

This setup works great for when its above 30 degrees. From 25-30 or so I can get a little cold but its bearable. Below 25 I get cold and dont sleep well. Realistically I will want to use this new shelter below 30-35 degrees.

I am tall and fairly skinny. My feet and hands get cold... but especially my feet. I do all the recommended things (different sleepwear just for sleeping, wrap my Down jacket around my feet, etc) but still get cold.

* Down Booties. Weigh almost nothing, I keep mine packed with my bag.

This convinced me my current 3 season tent vents too damn well to keep me warm, regardless of the elements. I have been in that tent on a night that was mid to high 30's and rainy and decent gusts of wind (40mph or so) with no issues, but it kills me in the cold. So I assume a 4 season tent that traps more hear or a tipi with a stove are my best options. If there are other options please let me know.

Also, floorless in Arizona. Someone has to fill me in. We dont have much grass here and a lot of sharp shit. I am sure others do this and its not a big deal, but I dont have any experience.

* I'm not familiar with camping in Az, but in regard to floorless- if something is sharp enough to puncture your groundcloth when floorless I am convinced it would do the same to the floor of your double-wall tent.

I am sure you can see I am a little all over the place and confused as to what will best fit my needs. I'll be happy to answer any questions and all opinions are helpful. Thanks!

I've used floorless for a couple of seasons. I like them for a lot of reasons, warm and draft free are NOT on that list. After trying about 4 or 5 different ones (not counting open tarps, I have a love/hate there) I sold my new Sawtooth as soon as the Tut came out and haven't looked back. I'm a simple dude, and even I can't screwup a 'Mid style shelter. I like floorless for the weight-to-space, setup flexibility- tall and above ground for ventilation or tight to the ground for less drafts. With some changes to the original, my Tut weighs 3lbs 8ozs with pole, lines and stakes. I can't think of a design other then floorless that is so light and let's me stand up to walk in and out. Screw that crawling on my knees crap!

And since the GIF won't leave me alone, I have an awesome inner half-nest from BearPaw designs.

Bulldawg

WKR
So i don't know if i missed it if someone already said it, but I have found with several trials, and I have heard its old wives tale, but if my feet are cold I wear a warm beanie to bed and my whole body will warm up. accompany that with a good pad and bag, i'll be warm in any kind of shelter.

mrgreen

WKR
So i don't know if i missed it if someone already said it, but I have found with several trials, and I have heard its old wives tale, but if my feet are cold I wear a warm beanie to bed and my whole body will warm up. accompany that with a good pad and bag, i'll be warm in any kind of shelter.

Completely agree, if you're cold put on a warm hat. No different in a sleeping bag or out. But it won't beat down booties or at least dry socks for helping to warm feet. I'd go with D. All of the Above.

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
Thanks for all the feedback guys, lots of great ideas here and stuff to think about.

Just for the record, I am not looking for a 'one size fits all' shelter, but something to add to what I already have. TBH, upon further reading, it sounds like alot of people have 4-5 different shelters and use them all depending on the situation. Just when I thought I was getting towards the end of buying backpacking related things... LOL!

It sounds like the best option for me is probably some sort of 4 person tipi type shelter with a stove, but a quality 4 season tent has its place as well and will help with drafts and probably keep me warmer as well. I might just jump on whichever one I find used for a decent price to add to the collection, and add the other in the future. Oh, I have never slept under just a tarp before, that is very intriguing as well. :D

I will also buy the Xtherm pad when I find one used in good condition, and possibly look into a new bag. I really like the REI bag I have now, so I am hopeful I can use that with a better shelter and pad and stay warm.

Yes, everyone needs a family of shelters.

All things being equal a smaller 4 season tent will be warmer then a larger one due to more area to keep warm in the later. I've been down to single digits in both my Nallo 3 and Akto and the Akto is warmer. When I zip open the Akto I'll get hit with a blast of cold air and can tell it's much colder outside then inside.

blackdawg

WKR
Remember Twas the night before Christmas? And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled down for a long winter's nap, them folks back then knew how to sleep on a cold night,, I didn't wear that hat when I was a longhaired country boy, but once I got domesticated "professional haircut",,if it is below 40 I am slapping the beanie on the head. Initial week indicates th xtherm pad is good, I can vouch down to 20 so far on it,I agree that the Atko retains a good amount of heat, the little lantern Aaron Snyder on was crowing about on a gritty bowmen podcast really helps getting out of the sack in the solo shelter,,now to test this new REI Magma bag I picked up, the old slumberjack -10 finally croaked. Take a close look at Alaska Tent and Tarp products Crazy expensive, but the Arctic Oven tents are IMHO the deal for cold weather/storms, needs to be getting down below 50 to stay cool in mine. If ya have a tent floor I highly recommend a foldgers coffee can with the handles built in for the old farts that rise in the middle of the night but whatever you do don't take a dump in a bucket inside the oven, I think it retains odor as well as heat. If you put a cheap piece of carpet down or have the floor liner in the Oven, it's a real cadillac setup, just shake it out when your done.

Shrek

WKR
The Sawtooth with a large Ti Oval or WiFi is a great combination. You can definitely stand by the pole at 6'3" as I'm 6'4" and stand in mine. It's a palace for one and perfect for two and gear. I had a rear peak loop sewn into mine so I can ditch the rear pole if the weather is decent. In that configuration three people are ok if you are not all 6'3" tall. A better pad and hat like others have said will go farther than down booties. The stove will make a world of difference in comfort. As has been said , drying out and warming up after a long cold hunt will do wonders for your attitude and lighting the stove before you get up so the tent is warm will make things sooo much better ! Skip the stove in the summer and add a big net door. Being able to walk into your tent is a big deal too.

Last edited:
OP
R

R_burg

WKR
The Sawtooth with a large Ti Oval or WiFi is a great combination. You can definitely stand by the pole at 6'3" as I'm 6'4" and stand in mine. It's a palace for one and perfect for two and gear. I had a rear peak loop sewn into mine so I can ditch the rear pole if the weather is decent. In that configuration three people are ok if you are not all 6'3" tall. A better pad and hat like others have said will go farther than down booties. The stove will make a world of difference in comfort. As has been said , drying out and warming up after a long cold hunt will do wonders for you attitude and lighting the stove before you get up so the tent is warm will make things sooo much better ! Skip the stove in the summer and add a big net door. Being able to walk into your tent is a big deal too.

Yeah, at this point I am really leaning towards looking into a tipi/tipi-esque setup that will fit 2 adult hunters with gear and a stove.

It seems like there are at least 4-5 viable options and never having used one, its hard to know what is the best option for me.

Another thing that has crossed my mind is, with how light they are, it seems viable to look into one thats even larger so I could def fit 3 guys in there and stand up... but the price jump from something that fits 2 guys to something that fits 3 seems to be pretty large and I doubt I "need it".

I really like my seek outside grande!

33ef196c01697ac3be3eb691e770a56d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrek

WKR
A thing to keep in mind that although a bigger tent than a Sawtooth sounds possible it comes with more costs than just weight. It becomes exponentially harder to find a good spot to camp in the backcountry the bigger the footprint of the tent. The width of a Sawtooth is about as wide as I'd want to deal with on a regular basis.