Need a tip or cue to focus on the target and not the pin

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Right Handed, Right eye dominant, shooting a single pin fast eddie. I'm very accurate, i break nocks at 60 and pie plate out to the end of my sight tape...but I have a habit of blurring out my target once I set my pin at full draw, hence my technique is solid but my eyes and brain are playing tricks on me. I find I rely on technique, and not on a great target visual.

I shoot with both eyes open and a slight squint...looking for anyone who has a cue or tip or technique that works to get my eyes to focus on the target instead of the pin...and by cue i mean is there something that you do as part of your shot process that has solved this issue for you? (and I dont mean "tell yourself to focus on the target and not the pin!')

Thanks for any insight!

dkime

WKR
Right Handed, Right eye dominant, shooting a single pin fast eddie. I'm very accurate, i break nocks at 60 and pie plate out to the end of my sight tape...but I have a habit of blurring out my target once I set my pin at full draw, hence my technique is solid but my eyes and brain are playing tricks on me. I find I rely on technique, and not on a great target visual.

I shoot with both eyes open and a slight squint...looking for anyone who has a cue or tip or technique that works to get my eyes to focus on the target instead of the pin...and by cue i mean is there something that you do as part of your shot process that has solved this issue for you? (and I dont mean "tell yourself to focus on the target and not the pin!')

Thanks for any insight!

If I fuzz out it’s because my shot timing is off and I had a poor setup. Shoot the bow like you’re angry at the target, get the pin where it needs to be and then get it gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So why are you squinting, to make the pin more clear? Maybe try not squinting when you are first acquiring the target. I just draw, anchor, acquire the target, check housing alignment and bubble on the bottom and then focus on the target and let the pin just blurt out a little and float while I execute my shot. If I squint my right eye( non dominant) then it makes me focus more on the pin.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Shoot the bow like you’re angry at the target, get the pin where it needs to be and then get it gone.
Yep. I'm staring down where I want to hit on the target even before I draw. I shoot one eye open, and as soon as the right pin is on that spot, the arrow is gone.

I think a lot of people shoot that way, as soon as the pin hits the center they punch they trigger but that’s pretty much describing target panic. I don’t think shooting with both eyes open or not really matters as long as it’s the same every time. Trouble with squinting is that you may squint a little more or a little less some times and that could change your sight picture and impact down range. Probably no perfect answer for this. I know Dudley talks about wearing a blinder on his hat for like 2-3 years to train his eyes.

Fatcamp

WKR
LOL. Until today I had shot with my off eye closed. Never even considered doing it otherwise even though I'm a decent wingshot and better than average pistol shooter both eyes open. It is different and going to take some getting used to, but I can tell it's a better mousetrap for sure.

Learned about pin float last winter which was huge. I expect this will end up being a benefit as well. Thanks for the thread.

dkime

WKR
I think a lot of people shoot that way, as soon as the pin hits the center they punch they trigger but that’s pretty much describing target panic. I don’t think shooting with both eyes open or not really matters as long as it’s the same every time. Trouble with squinting is that you may squint a little more or a little less some times and that could change your sight picture and impact down range. Probably no perfect answer for this. I know Dudley talks about wearing a blinder on his hat for like 2-3 years to train his eyes.

[mention]5MilesBack [/mention] and I are not talking about “punching” the trigger when the pin hits the target. The method of shooting were poorly describing is a million layers beyond that. I shoot a hinge and what were describing is an active shot process where the shot breaks when it needs to without conscious control; frankly it’s probably way too much for a bowhunting forum. Put the pin where it needs to be and the bow will shoot where it’s suppose to shoot.

[mention]5MilesBack [/mention] and I are not talking about “punching” the trigger when the pin hits the target. The method of shooting were poorly describing is a million layers beyond that. I shoot a hinge and what were describing is an active shot process where the shot breaks when it needs to without conscious control; frankly it’s probably way too much for a bowhunting forum. Put the pin where it needs to be and the bow will shoot where it’s suppose to shoot.

Haha ya I hear ya. Most everything I read from you two is usually on par with what I’m thinking so I just was kinda like what do they mean by that. Not sure why I even brought it up.

dkime

WKR
Haha ya I hear ya. Most everything I read from you two is usually on par with what I’m thinking so I just was kinda like what do they mean by that. Not sure why I even brought it up.

Dude if you’re on par with the two of us then you’re in bad company lol just kidding!

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
So why are you squinting, to make the pin more clear? Maybe try not squinting when you are first acquiring the target. I just draw, anchor, acquire the target, check housing alignment and bubble on the bottom and then focus on the target and let the pin just blurt out a little and float while I execute my shot. If I squint my right eye( non dominant) then it makes me focus more on the pin.
Stopped squinting. Helps a ton! I'm definitely not as good at keeping a clear target picture in low light...I guess thats the next step to figure out.