Need advice - driving on icy I-25 and lost control multiple times

TheCougar

WKR
I’m not accustomed to driving on on icy/snowy roads and I’m on my way to MT from Texas. About 100 miles out from Casper, there was a little snow and areas of pretty bad ice. I was driving very cautiously 30-40 mph and alert to the road conditions, and I still went sideways 4 times. The worst time caught me off guard, but the rest I was anticipating as I could feel the truck starting to drift or see the ice. I ended up driving the last 50 miles or so at 40mph in 4WD and didn’t have any other issues. I’ve got to get north to Montana tomorrow and I need any and all advice to get there safely, please! I didn’t see anyone else having the same issues I was having.

I’m driving a 2014 Ram 1500, Michelin LTX/AT2 tires that have a fair amount of tread life left - probably 20k+, inflated to 40psi. I’ve got 200lbs of gear in the bed to put some weight on the back wheels. Besides buying snow tires, anything is on the table. I’ve got chains for all 4 tires. I’ll throw 500lbs of weight in the bed, let some air out of the tires, buy better off-road tires (not winter specific tires), etc. I just don’t want a repeat of tonight - I was white-knuckled crawling into Casper.

The internets are conflicted if driving in 4WD benefits (or may actually hurt) control on icy/slick roads - thoughts? I didn’t have any issues after I put it into 4H and remained below 45mph, but that just could have been better road conditions. I’ll sacrifice the last 20k of tread life on my Michelin’s if there is an off-road tire that will give better traction, via tread or softer rubber, on these crappy roads - local options are BFGs, Cooper AT3 4S, and Falken Wild Peak.

I feel like I need to turn my man-card in, asking for advice on this, but I’ll eat some humble pie to not repeat this experience tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slvrslngr

WKR
Those conditions suck, BTDT. I’d add weight to the back, drop your tire pressure to 30psi and drive slowly. While 4wd can give a false sense of security, it’s there for a reason, use it. I don’t know that you need full on snow tires, but the Wildpeaks have done well in the snow for me. Best to get good advice and stay on the road than try to gut it out and crash. Be careful out there!

Rokbar

WKR
Your probably doing as good as anyone else on the highway. I'm really not sure if 4x4 will help or hurt you on ice? But I don't think it will hurt the truck to drive in 4x4 if you stay under the trucks recommended 4x4 speed. When driving on icy roads, I'm more worried about the other drivers out there. Be careful and keep us posted. I'll be headed up I25 Monday or Tuesday.

jfs82

WKR
I'd let some air pressure out and stay in 4wd. I keep a small plug in compressor in the truck for this sort of stuff (or if I have to fix a flat). If you need weight added, shovel in some snow if it won't trash your gear.

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
As already stated, drop your air pressure to 30psi and stay in 4wd. Don’t drive any faster than you feel comfortable and give other vehicles plenty of room

In a pick-up you definitely need to stay in 4x4. That's a big hunk of iron up front. Without those wheels helping you stay straight the back end is going to go out pretty easily in slick conditions. 4 Hi won't hurt anything even for prolonged periods. That is what it's there for.

Michael54

WKR
I run ltx defenders on my titan. Trick is 4wd and maintaining constant speed. Make any changes or corrections as slow as possible. And sudden changes whether its speeding up, slowing down, or via steering wheel will cause you to break traction. Western pa isnt exactly montana but i live in the country on a mountain and we definitely get our fair share of icy roads, cold, and snow. In the winter in a pickup 4wd hi is your friend. My father in law is in the dont use 4wd until you need it to get unstuck category. Im in the if i use it i have less likelihood of getting stuck in the first place category. He gets pulled out by me at least twice a winter.

Michael54

WKR
Don't drive outside of your comfort zone on speed. If you are in what you consider 4wd 45mph conditions and its working don't fix it. Odds are the other traffic were locals and have a different comfort zone on speed.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Stay in 4H. Tires make a big impact and I think yours are hurting you. Stop at Lowe’s and put 500 pounds of sand in the back.

Michael54

WKR
Stay in 4H. Tires make a big impact and I think yours are hurting you. Stop at Lowe’s and put 500 pounds of sand in the back.

The at-2s are premium for off road and 3 season highway but i can agree not the best snow and ice tire.

11boo

WKR
When conditions are like that, keep it in 4wd. Sandbags in the back won’t hurt either. You’ll probably be fine , just take your time.

NoWiser

WKR
The Wilpeaks have the snowflake symbol and are a pretty decent all-around tire. It’s what I run now in MN. My F-150 was almost undriveable in winter with the tires I had on it before these Driving well in those conditions is an art, though. You need to keep it in 4H and drive slow enough so that you won’t need to make any sudden changes in direction or speed. Don’t even think about using cruise control.

Some conditions are just tough no matter what, though. Drive at a speed you feel comfortable with and keep it in 4H if the roads are questionable. Be safe.

The only thing I can add to above is also keep your gas tank as full as possible for the weight..air down, sand bags in the bed, and 4wd...take your time and watch out for others.

Carr5vols

WKR
We just came across the bighorns from shell to Sheridan and then across Sodak so I feel your pain we was in it together. We seen lots of wrecks. Slow and steady let the crazies do there thing.

gearguywb

WKR
Lots of good advice her. To recap:
1. 4x4 is there for a reason. Use it
2. In a pickup, more weight in back is better
3. Air down. Larger tire footprint.
4. Maintain a steady speed

Fatcamp

WKR
The only problem with 4wd in slick conditions is people tend to overdrive the conditions. Use it. Holy cats, that is what it is for. Two wheel drive trucks suck on ice.

4hi. Take your time. Throw some sand bags in back. Not a big deal.

Wrench

WKR
20k miles left is where people who live in snow country swap out to winter tires or toss em. The last 30% of the tire is where it tends to lose its flexibility, irrigation properties and becomes a flat risk.

I'd be in 4wd without a doubt and be ready to chuck on tire chains at the first sign of an off camber hill in the mountains.

KurtR

WKR
Slow down. Every time this year we see the southern people blaze down the road and right into the ditch. If I had a dollar for everyone I pulled out that said but we had it in 4wd. Stopping is just a big of problem so be looking ahead and always planning an escape route

Wapiti1

WKR
I have those tires on my 2014 Ram 1500. Not the best on ice, but I've not had that bad a time with them.

You should have a select trac transfer case, put it in 4 Auto and leave it there. It will straighten you out if the back end loses traction. 4 Auto is for driving on roads that have both ice/snow and dry sections. The 4WD selection locks the transfer case, and it isn't good to run like that on dry pavement.

If you feel the truck start to slip, let off the gas immediately.

Others have made a lot of good suggestions. Be safe.

Jeremy

260madman

WKR
20% left but what condition is the rubber in? Michelin have a reputation of the rubber turning hard and that sacrifices a lot of traction.

There’s a lot of different opinions on tires and everybody has a favorite so you’ll have to wade through the crap for your next set of tires.

We get a lot of snow/ice conditions in WI starting in October, Eau Claire has 7” of snow the other day, through April and into May. My primary vehicle to drive is a Yukon XL 2500 2wd. I drive my 2500 4x4 but usually it’s the Yukon. I get around just fine with it. Tires and weight make all the difference. I didn’t have problems getting around when we had 10” come down. Experience and traction are what matters.