Need Advice on a purchase

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
I've never purchased a custom built rifle and I found one in my area that interests me. I want to start long range hunting and would like 6.5 that can reach 500 for deer, 350 elk ,and 800 to 900 for hitting steel. I bought a T3x for my wife, based on the help from forum members, and she loves it. It's my turn to get a 6.5 and I want something custom.

Here is the build as described to me:
6.5 creedmoor
Bell and Carlson stock
Criterion barrel
Savage action
Timney trigger
Vortex viper HSLR 6-24x50
Vortex Bubble level
Custom Muzzle Brake
11 lbs with scope
0.5 MOA

What questions should I ask beyond the info above?
Rings?
Scope mount?
What Savage action?

Finally, What would you pay for it?????

Last edited:
I don't personally care for Savage but if you want one they usually bring a good value for a buyer on the used market. I'd make sure you decide exactly what you want and need , based on your description I'd pay about $1100 for that rifle if it was proven accurate and came with brass and quality dies .

OP
L

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the response. I'm assuming you are in Idaho too by your username. He is asking 1800 with the scope (850 new). He sent me a three shot group at 100 and it was .44. His price seems fair, but I'd rather not include the scope in the deal. I prefer another brand personally. I was thinking $1000 if it's a shooter.
I'm a little reluctant on the action, but I'm sure he went with the savage/criterion because it is a simple thread into the action.

If you're reluctant about anything just pass and keep looking for exactly what you want. There's custom rifles for sale everyday on the used market and new customs are getting more affordable depending on what you want.

OP
L

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
LoL
This forum never lets me down!

I should just get another t3x, BC stock, and top it with a Zeiss Z4, NF shv, or Swaro Z5 and be done with it.

Give me a little credit, I did say I would not want the vortex!

Motown

WKR
LoL
This forum never lets me down!

I should just get another t3x, BC stock, and top it with a Zeiss Z4, NF shv, or Swaro Z5 and be done with it.

Give me a little credit, I did say I would not want the vortex!

If the weight doesn’t bother you go with the T3X CTR. You can get them with a 20 or 24” barrel in blued or ss. The BC stocks aren’t horrible but not great either. Upgrade to a mcmillan, ag composite, or mesa stock and you’ll be set!

jonboatjockey

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly if you looking to shoot those kind of ranges at those kind of critters, I'd look for a 6.5 with a little more snot, if your set on having a 6.5. PRC, or at minimum a 6.5X284. I'm around a lot of dead stuff in the fall, and not a big creed fan. Tikka's are great, and I'd stick with one of those and stick some really good glass like you stated above. +1 for AG composite or McMillan, the mesa stocks are AG composites manufactured. Bed the recoil lug and start shooting at distance. Another though would be to look at the higher end Bergara's, crazy accurate out of the box and have a lot of features that custom guns have. Good luck with your search!

I would not buy that rifle. For that price, you can do much better. Also, don’t let anyone tell you that you need “more gun” to shoot an elk at 350 yards or deer at 500 yards. If you choose to go with an off the shelf rifle, I hear the Tikka is a good one. I’d also take a look at the Seekins rifle and the Begara. You can get a Seekins 25% off coupon for almost nothing and it brings the price of the PH1/PH2 down nicely. Get on Snipershide and look in the classifieds under the “firearms” section. Regardless of how you may/may not feel about the forum itself, there are tons of good rifles on there for sale and it can save you hundreds of dollars. I’ve been buying/selling there for over 10yrs now and never a bad transaction in hundreds.

Im not going to tell you the Savage sucks. It may very well shoot. Years ago, just to prove a point, I built a 6.5x47 on a polished Savage target action. Yes, with a lot of work it shot very well. Less than .5moa at 100yds. At the end of the day, it was still just a slicked up Savage though.......

He is asking 1800 with the scope (850 new).

I’m pretty sure I sold my lightly used viper pst gen 1 (very similar to HSLR) for $300. Pass on that one.

You could scoop a new tikka CTR and a SWFA or LRTS / LRHS and some rings for about the same money.

jonboatjockey

Lil-Rokslider
I would not buy that rifle. For that price, you can do much better. Also, don’t let anyone tell you that you need “more gun” to shoot an elk at 350 yards or deer at 500 yards. If you choose to go with an off the shelf rifle, I hear the Tikka is a good one. I’d also take a look at the Seekins rifle and the Begara. You can get a Seekins 25% off coupon for almost nothing and it brings the price of the PH1/PH2 down nicely. Get on Snipershide and look in the classifieds under the “firearms” section. Regardless of how you may/may not feel about the forum itself, there are tons of good rifles on there for sale and it can save you hundreds of dollars. I’ve been buying/selling there for over 10yrs now and never a bad transaction in hundreds.

Im not going to tell you the Savage sucks. It may very well shoot. Years ago, just to prove a point, I built a 6.5x47 on a polished Savage target action. Yes, with a lot of work it shot very well. Less than .5moa at 100yds. At the end of the day, it was still just a slicked up Savage though.......

I guess you don't need "more gun" but I like to reduce the chance of three legged whatever I am going after. The creed is a great round, but needs to have a cup check once in a while. I've seen lots of elk and deer have a miserable death or not even die to a creed because of the lack of understanding of the round by the shooter. Within a reasonable range and a well practiced shooter its going to work. Outside of that, a hunter should bee looking for a little more forgiveness of a round when hunting. My

Sorry to hijack the thread, but the OP is looking for opinions on the rifle that he mentioned above. I agree with everyone, I'd pass. I just sold a vortex HSLR 6-24FFP for $525 basically brand new with very little use a week ago. B&C stocks are heavy for what they are usually a guy can find a good take off of a top notch stock for not much more than the cost of a new B&C. check the forums, there are lots of good equipment in the classifieds and lots of good people to deal with.

ckleeves

WKR
You could scoop a new tikka CTR and a SWFA or LRTS / LRHS and some rings for about the same money.

X2. A CTR with a LRTS/LRHS would be about the exact same money and a drama free setup. If you hate it (doubt you will) your not gonna lose much at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk