Need advice. Out of state guided Elk hunt

KaelBear

FNG
Hey all,

I am looking to do a guided elk hunt out of state next year and and looking for some helpful tips/advice from folks.

I have not been on a guided hunt before. I would obviously love a 300 bull, but more or less want the experience with my brother, a good size bull, and meat in the freezer.

1. What state would you recommend? I have points in most states, however only a couple. Doubt enough to get me a high-end unit. I figure Colorado gives me the best option since I don't have a more than 2 points in any state. Not sure about land owner tags in other states.
2. Any specific outfitters you have used?
3. What should I look out for when talking to outfitters? Good questions to ask? Red flags?

Just tryin to do some homework here and appreciate any usable advice.

ncstewart

WKR
Budget is biggest problem. Go NM landowner tag if ya can. CO would be my 2nd choice if budget don’t allow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpe5714

Lil-Rokslider
I go with Corliss Outfitting in NM. Reasonable prices, great guy, knows his business and you can't beat public land in New Mexico.

WRO

WKR
Oregon has some good opportunities. I connected Oscar @ofl0926 with Cody Cole's and he had an epic hunt and ended up with a good six. We went 3 for 4 this year guiding first on the ranch with 2 good bulls. (293 5 point and a 315 6 point) although it's we market it as an opportunity hunt.

There's no need to draw tags as there's outfitter and lop tags. I'd look at a guided murders Creek public hunt, ranch hunt out of john day (these ranches are free range and many out fitters have 20-100k leased) and then I'd look at a pack in hunt with Brian Sanders or a helicopter hunt with Bob Staples.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Go Wyo Special Draw for a General tag with your 1 pp. That will give you lots of options

I’m far from an expert but Wyoming general is a great tag, a huge percentage of the state is open, you can do archery or rifle, I think it’s a no-brainer tag for people with just a few points. Hit me up if you want a few pointers on areas...I’m no expert but I love here.

OP
KaelBear

KaelBear

FNG
Aaron can u DM me? I am not able to yet. Had questions about outfitter in WY.
Getting ready to book a elk/deer combo oct7-14 in unit 60