Need ammo advice for 308

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I need your help selecting ammo for my 308.

My rifle is a TC Pro Hunter with a 26" barrel. I live in Colorado so this will primarily be used for muleys, elk, and bear. However, I also will be doing some midwest whitetail hunting and eventually some hog hunting as well.

I have essentially zero experience with high powered rifles. Where I grew up hunting in the midwest, it was muzzleloaders and shotguns only until about five years ago. I've been researching ammo but there's so many choices. It's become overwhelming.

Here's what I'm looking for. I want one bullet that is relatively affordable so I can spend plenty of time on the range behind this gun and get proficient with it, readily available, and will work on all of the above game. Something effective out to about 300 yards as I can't imagine shooting past that. A lot of the lower end rounds like Remington Core Lokt, Winchester Super X, Federal Power Shok, etc seem to be geared more towards whitetails and hogs. I don't know if these types of rounds are advisable to use on elk or not. I just don't know that much about rifle ammo but I do know these higher end rounds are spendy.

I'm thinking 150 or 180 gr since those are the most common but I'm just note sure what type of round to use. Thanks in advance.

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
The terminal ascent are available most of the time on the federal website. I’ve had good luck with their accuracy and performance on game.

RMP

FNG
A lot of the lower end rounds like Remington Core Lokt, Winchester Super X, Federal Power Shok, etc seem to be geared more towards whitetails and hogs. I don't know if these types of rounds are advisable to use on elk or not. I just don't know that much about rifle ammo but I do know these higher end rounds are spendy.

I'm thinking 150 or 180 gr since those are the most common but I'm just note sure what type of round to use. Thanks in advance.

Remington Core Lokts, Federal Power Shok and Winchester Power Point are fine. These rounds have probably accounted for more deer, elk and black bear than all other rounds combined. I've used 150 on deer and black bear and never had any problems with them. My M70 Featherweight is a MOA gun with Federal Power Shok, and my Browning BLR '81 is a near MOA gun with the same ammo. They are tried and true, time tested rounds. They'll be fine for you.

WCB

WKR
165gr Federal Trophy Bonded or 165gr Accubond loaded by Federal. However they are Premium options so cost is what it is.

Another option is the Federal Fusion ammunition. They stay together better than the standard jacket soft point stuff and in general are just better built bullets. They also don't cost what Premium does.

The standard soft point stuff will do the job out to 300 for anything you mentioned...I would lean more into the 165grain on those also.

Aporia

FNG
Depends on what your rifle groups well with but mine likes Federal Fusion 165gr or 180gr and ADI Outback 165gr with Sierra Gameking bullets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Antares

WKR
Well, the one thing I'm getting from this thread is that the ammo situation is getting better down south. You're asking for 308 Win ammo that's "relatively affordable and readily available" and no one is laughing at you. That's good news. All my local shops here in AK are still pretty much wiped out.

OP
Felix1776

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Well, the one thing I'm getting from this thread is that the ammo situation is getting better down south. You're asking for 308 Win ammo that's "relatively affordable and readily available" and no one is laughing at you. That's good news. All my local shops here in AK are still pretty much wiped out.
Those are good points but I simply meant non-Gucci bullets. Stuff you could find, in normal times, at a regular sporting good store or Wal-Mart. I'm still not finding much ammo around here.

OP
Felix1776

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Remington Core Lokts, Federal Power Shok and Winchester Power Point are fine. These rounds have probably accounted for more deer, elk and black bear than all other rounds combined. I've used 150 on deer and black bear and never had any problems with them. My M70 Featherweight is a MOA gun with Federal Power Shok, and my Browning BLR '81 is a near MOA gun with the same ammo. They are tried and true, time tested rounds. They'll be fine for you.
That's really good to know. Thanks for the input.
165gr Federal Trophy Bonded or 165gr Accubond loaded by Federal. However they are Premium options so cost is what it is.

Another option is the Federal Fusion ammunition. They stay together better than the standard jacket soft point stuff and in general are just better built bullets. They also don't cost what Premium does.

The standard soft point stuff will do the job out to 300 for anything you mentioned...I would lean more into the 165grain on those also.
I will definitely look into the Fusions. I don't mind spending a little bit more on good rounds but spending $50-$60 for a box of 20 on some of the highly regarded ammo is not for me.

OP
Felix1776

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input everyone. I will definitely explore these recommendations.

bline

FNG
Federal terminal ascent are my bullet of choice for hunting with a 308. They are the most accurate bullet I've found in my gun and they have performed well but they aren't cheap. My second choice would be accubond as long as accuracy is good in your gun.