Need ammo advice for 308

I use 150gr federal power shocks for deer and hogs here works well and its cheap enough to shoot at the range and stay proficient. When I go west I go to Federal 180gr NP.

jeffpg

WKR
Honestly, every load mentioned here will do what you are wanting to do as long as you do your part. I tend to lean towards the 165 grain in a .308, especially since you want one load for everything. That includes the SST, which I love but all the above mentioned are good to great.

My main advice is “Don’t skimp on the money with your ammunition!” This is the most critical expenditure you will likely make and you do get what you pay for in general. Choose a load and test it for accuracy. Once you get settled in with what you like, buy enough of the same lot # to be able to comfortably shoot it often until you learn the bullet flight and build confidence. Zero at 200 yards, utilize a rangefinder, and learn your hold at 300 and farther for best results. Your rifle will easily kill all the animals you mentioned at twice that range.

Practice, practice, practice!!

Good Luck!

My Ruger American shoots both Federal 175 grain TA and 180 grain TBTs MOA. The 180 power shocks and Fusions don’t group as well for me, probably acceptable inside 200, but not great. The cheap 180 Winchester white box soft points don’t group at all for some reason.

I shot my bull last fall at 80 yards through both lungs with a 175 TA and he went less than 50 yards. Caliber entry and 3” exit.

Maverick1

WKR
The local Sheels had shelves of 308 ammo the other day. Most have been constrained by availability the last few years. Seeing something on the shelf was a nice change. Just putting it out there for anyone in the market, check out Scheels.

The local Sheels had shelves of 308 ammo the other day. Most have been constrained by availability the last few years. Seeing something on the shelf was a nice change. Just putting it out there for anyone in the market, check out Scheels.
Scheels in SLC had a full shelf of Federal Terminal Ascent in 308 for $27 a box last time I was there. Seemed like such a screaming price that I considered buying a case and then looking for a rifle chambered in 308 later.

Old-Cat, you da' man. Bullet weight is the only constant once you squeeze the trigger. Not only heavy bullets, but heavy bullets that stay heavy bullets.

OP, choose your hunting bullet and pick up a couple boxes. It won't take many shots to get your rifle dialed in where you want for hunting season. Then have over a box and a half of rounds left to use many years in the future as your hunting round.

Buy the less expensive ammo and get your trigger time with that. You aren't worried about your point of impact with the practice rounds. Likely those won't impact exactly where hunting rounds do. Foucus on good shooting technique and you'll get lots of practice.

Since you are south of me down in Pueblo West, I can share from Colorado experience with Barnes X, TSX and TTSX Bullets over the last 28 years on pronghorn, muley's and elk. The Accubond and Partition are good as well as has been mentioned. I've loaded them for other family members, then join them over the animal for the field dressing and packing out. 👍

Even at that, the .308 Win isn't a high velocity round relative to some other cartridges.

Traditional cup and core bullets from Remington, Federal, Winchester, Hornady, etc, are designed, per se, to perform very well within the velocity window of the .308 Win. and the 300 yard range you mention. Those aren't out of the realm for considering in my opinion if you want to steadfastly stick with one loading. Otherwise get a couple boxes for hunting of "premium" ammo and use a less expensive one for practice.

In any case I prefer controlled expansion bullets as mentioned for in the field. Particularly Barnes and more broadly monos in general. They harvest the animal cleanly, minimize wanton waste of bloodshot meat and there's are too many good memories and no bad memories to switch up to something different.