Need an Upland Vest - Help Please

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Did my research on Rokslide...WingWorks isn't making vests...

Would like a wingworks-type vest, waist/hip loading, ideally that has some smart features for shotshells, phone, water (I'm hunting with a dog), and a sack for pheasants.

Happy to pay for high quality.

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Ash

WKR

Both excellent companies.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my UnderArmour upland vest I think its called Prey or some such.. I wouldn't have ever thought they'd have such a beast but noticed it on clearance about five years ago and its still going strong. Oh its not real expensive and isn't flimsy plastic feeling.-WW

mwh624

FNG
Very happy with my Tenzing BV16. Can comfortably carry 3-4 roosters, 6-7 in a pinch.
I can load from the front with the side zippers and it does have good shoulder and waist straps to get a good fit. Decent assortment of pockets and it's also not overly bulky which I like.

I’ve Been waiting for wing works to start making vests again since last season. My Filson isn’t cutting it anymore so if I don’t go with a final rise or redi I might try to get something good enough to get me by just in case wingworks start up again someday. The tenzing checks enough of the boxes and I’ve seen them on camofire for a decent price. My buddy has called them before to buy stuff they’ve had on the site but hadn’t seen in awhile, he said they were cool to deal with and the stuff they had but haven’t listed recently they sold him over the phone. I also saw that marsupial is making a modular bird bag system. I haven’t seen anything they make in person but they seem to have a good reputation. this would be a good time for Kifaru to make such a thing…

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Which one of the above puts more weight on the waist and the least on the shoulders?

Another for final rise. Great quality and the fella makes them himself. I searched a long time before settling on his best and couldn’t be happier.

Whisky

WKR
I've been in the market as well. Right now I'm kinda leaning towards putting together a modular belt from Marsupial. I called them when they came out with the "small bird carrier" and they told me at that time they would be coming out with a bigger carrier for pheasant. I also like the Marsupial because I can customize it into a whitetail fanny pack, day pack system with water bladder bag, etc.

TSAMP

WKR
I’ve Been waiting for wing works to start making vests again since last season. My Filson isn’t cutting it anymore so if I don’t go with a final rise or redi I might try to get something good enough to get me by just in case wingworks start up again someday. The tenzing checks enough of the boxes and I’ve seen them on camofire for a decent price. My buddy has called them before to buy stuff they’ve had on the site but hadn’t seen in awhile, he said they were cool to deal with and the stuff they had but haven’t listed recently they sold him over the phone. I also saw that marsupial is making a modular bird bag system. I haven’t seen anything they make in person but they seem to have a good reputation. this would be a good time for Kifaru to make such a thing…
I have a badlands vest that's pretty decent. No dedicated water bottle holder though. Filson strap vest is on my short list for small game hunting though. Seems like a good minimalist option?

I have a badlands vest that's pretty decent. No dedicated water bottle holder though. Filson strap vest is on my short list for small game hunting though. Seems like a good minimalist option?
Yeah the Filson is good for a lightweight minimal vest. It is Very well made, I’ve been beating mine through brush for 15 years but for longer hunts with the dog it isn’t ideal with a lack of water bottle or hydration pack holders or pockets for snacks or first aid stuff etc. I usually just use a camelback over it and put whatever else in a ziplock in the bird bag which gets funky once a few birds get in there too.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Q5 has a variety of made in USA vests. I have a San Carlos which is a strap vest. They have vests with more and vests with less features than this one.

Just got a final rise vest two weeks ago, haven’t even been able to get it out in the field because of deer hunting but hopefully will this weekend. First impression is that it’s well built, very adjustable and well made. It’s got several smallish zipper pockets on the bird bag for small items but they’re a little hard to see in the product photos on their website. The shell pockets are huge, should easily hold a box of shells each.

I wore it around the house with the two water bottles full and another 10-12 pounds of stuff in the bird pouch and it seemed to transfer all the weight to my waist.

My old vest is a mothers brand that never fit me very well so this seems like a big improvement. I haven’t used any other of the strap style vests so can’t compare them to the final rise.

qwerksc

WKR
I have a Q5 San Carlos strap vest, has enough room for a decent hike or a quick hit. If you have to carry a lot of water for the dogs, maybe a different vest. I’ll get out for 7-8 mile walks with this one. It is comfy and light, I’m four seasons in and it is nice.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
The have been a lot of new choices over the last few years. Final rise, hunt redi, pyke, chief upland, orvis pro, marsupial gear, badlands, tenzing... all have vests that get the weight on your hips.

I did my research and wanted a final rise, but then I had a chance to get a badlands at half price so I went that direction. I've seen the badlands at 40% off a few times since then. If you're okay using a bladder instead of bottle, it's been a pretty great vest over the last year, and at sale price is well worth it.