Need bag help for Alaska goat hunt

Chubscout

FNG
Hey guys, I’ve booked a mountain goat/ black bear hunt in Alaska this sept/ oct. right now I’m running a BA 15degree bag. I love it but it’s down and that scares me for that country. I’ve looked at kuiu, kifaru and western mountaineering. Any info would be a great help. Thanks guys

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in Alaska and use a down quilt. I would say its 50/50 down vs. synthetic up here (they each have their benefits). Just keep it in a drysack when its not in use and you will be fine :)

boom

WKR
that WM bag is also gonna be down.

the other two are never a blip on my gear radar.

OP
Chubscout

Chubscout

FNG
I’ll be in the Chugach, that time of year what is the weather like? I just ordered the first lite seak rain gea, is that sufficient?

October goat in the Chugach can sometimes be like this:

8xZnMKL.jpg

Bj8fzLK.jpg

I took a -20F untreated down bag that trip and was very happy with it. Weather is pretty variable that time of year, but generally it's not as wet as the more coastal goat hunts.

A 0F treated down bag would probably be ideal. I just took what I had.

I was super happy with my Outdoor Vitals summit 0 degree bag last year elk hunting. Stayed plenty warm down into the 20s. I had it down into the teens on a trout fishing trip and was warm then too. They seem to be the best value too for a down bag. Mine's the older one with regular down, but the have a treated down option now too.

as.ks.ak

WKR
If you want your money to be “well spent”. Check out enlightened equipment and consider getting a quilt. You’ll most likely cut your weight in half, and they are generally WAY more affordable than a bag in the same degree bracket....if you’re skeptical about quilts, check out the numerous postings about quilts and guys feeling the same way. I made the switch a few years ago and will never go back.

It just makes so much sense, at least to me. Especially since when you sleep in a bag, you’re compressing the down that you lay on, which defeats the purpose of there being down there. When the down is flattened it looses its ability to retain heat, essentially making a majority of the down you lay on a waste of oz!!!!

Of course there’s a few draw backs, the biggest and only notable one (to me) being that it takes a few cold nights under a quilt to figure out just the perfect way to utilize it so that you can keep the drafts out. But that little bit of inconvenience isnt even a concern to me considering the 19 oz. that I shaved off my sleep system!

Oz. = Lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ianpadron

WKR
If you want your money to be “well spent”. Check out enlightened equipment and consider getting a quilt. You’ll most likely cut your weight in half, and they are generally WAY more affordable than a bag in the same degree bracket....if you’re skeptical about quilts, check out the numerous postings about quilts and guys feeling the same way. I made the switch a few years ago and will never go back.

It just makes so much sense, at least to me. Especially since when you sleep in a bag, you’re compressing the down that you lay on, which defeats the purpose of there being down there. When the down is flattened it looses its ability to retain heat, essentially making a majority of the down you lay on a waste of oz!!!!

Of course there’s a few draw backs, the biggest and only notable one (to me) being that it takes a few cold nights under a quilt to figure out just the perfect way to utilize it so that you can keep the drafts out. But that little bit of inconvenience isnt even a concern to me considering the 19 oz. that I shaved off my sleep system!

Oz. = Lbs.

Yes to all of this.

Love my 0 degree EE quilt.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I've been in the Chugach hunting goats several times and I've always used a synthetic bag, like the Kifaru Slick. I bring very few clothes with me so having the ability to dry mine out each night while sleeping is a huge bonus. Best of luck, goats are a great time.

ndbuck09

WKR
Please share your quilt draft tips you've figured out. I'm interested in hearing because I've tried a quilt a few times but have been cold.

Thanks

as.ks.ak

WKR
Please share your quilt draft tips you've figured out. I'm interested in hearing because I've tried a quilt a few times but have been cold.

Thanks

1. Sleep with a merino baselayer when it gets chilly.

2. When it’s real cold and you want to keep ALL the heat in, don’t wrap the straps around your pad. Wrap the sleeping pad straps around your body and cinch them down.

3. Man up.

I’ve found that when I try and put the straps around my pad, it’s just makes it that much easier for the draft to find it’s way to me. This way, I’ve been able to stay comfortable into the single digits in my 10 degree quilt (EE Revelation). Never taken it below 0 though...might have to try that sometime next winter.

Also, I almost always sleep with a stocking hat on....really it’s to pull down over my eyes. But the insulation helps my balding head!!

ianpadron

WKR
1. Sleep with a merino baselayer when it gets chilly.

2. When it’s real cold and you want to keep ALL the heat in, don’t wrap the straps around your pad. Wrap the sleeping pad straps around your body and cinch them down.

3. Man up.

I’ve found that when I try and put the straps around my pad, it’s just makes it that much easier for the draft to find it’s way to me. This way, I’ve been able to stay comfortable into the single digits in my 10 degree quilt (EE Revelation). Never taken it below 0 though...might have to try that sometime next winter.

Also, I almost always sleep with a stocking hat on....really it’s to pull down over my eyes. But the insulation helps my balding head!!

#2 is CRUCIAL. Great tips man, I agree all around.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Tekla

FNG
I have the zpack bag and it’s a hybrid between a quilt and sleeping bag. I ordered the extra fill to make it a -10 below bag. Super light weight and perfect for Alaska. I have used it on the brooks range, Kodiak, afognak, Chugiak, and float hunting among other things. Packs up small. Make sure to get the treated down. Good luck.