Need Bullet help

Going to Montana for the first week of rifle, combo deer elk tag. I’ve got a Tikka Superlite 6.5cm in sitting in a Mesa Altitude stock with a Bushnell 6500 on top. I haven’t decided on what bullet to shoot yet. I’ve got a box of Super-performance 120 GMX that I’m going to try out once the ranges reopen. I’m also looking at the 127lrx and accubond lr. I’m not going to be taking 300yd plus shots and there may be some close action in the timber. My concerns with the newer LR bullets is what their performance at 50 yds is. Are they going to blow up close. I was initially interested in the copper monos because they have reports of great penetration which I will want using the 6.5cm. Anyone with experience using the 6.5cm on elk chime in!

MHWASH

WKR
If your not shooting LR, why go with a LR bullet? For what you describe, the 130 AB, will work perfect. No I have not used it on elk, but that’s what I have loaded in my Tikka 6.5cm. After lots of research I choose this bullet to be my one load for all things out to 500 yards. My son used the 140 AB out of his Tikka 270 on a bear @440 yards last spring with a complete pass through and wonderful blood trail.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
I vote either GMX or LRX, whichever is more accurate in your rifle. Then you don't have to worry about getting lead in your meat.

Tmac

WKR
Have used a 260 Rem on elk. Even close in, it’s reasonably moderate velocity was not terribly hard on bullets. 140 grain core-lokt’s performed well for us with several kills between 75 and 150 yards. I have used the LRX in other cartridges, 270 & 280, both with a few hundred FPS higher velocities. The LRX opened fast on even smallish game and penetrated well on elk, it’s become my favorite in guns that shoot it well.

AZsniper

WKR
I use the Hornady ELDX 143gr in my 6.5 It is crazy accurate. It holds together at short and long distance. My son hits a plate size target at 600 yds with that round shot after shot. I am having him shoot long so at 300yds it will seem easy.

Wrench

WKR
I have a bunch of elk killed via 6.5 with 140 class match bullets.

I'd not choose this route for anything inside 300. I have taken bulls inside 100, but its messy and makes for a tone of fragments.

I would take a traditional accubond or partition, scirocco....bonded or solid because the benefits of the match bullets don't show up at your ranges but the curses do.

USMC307

Lil-Rokslider
Accubond! I have experienced excellent results out of 264 with the 130 accubonds. Over 10 elk harvested and a couple mule deer. At the end of the day stay with a bonded bullet and practice enough to put the bullet where it needs to go. Elk lungs can’t tell the difference between 130 and 140 grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Since the 6.5CM isn't a barn burner, I wouldn't worry much about which bullet outside of passing on the Berger style which is all about fragmenting.

Any of the normal cup and core choices like a Sierra Gameking, Rem Corelokt or Nosler BT will be fine. Those are good bullets suited to the more sedate non-magnum rounds.

Nothing wrong with the other choices listed above. I just think you have ample choices without overthinking it.

If you were shooting a 26 Nosler, I'd tell you to stick to a bonded or mono-metal bullet, but you're not, so any 130gr or larger bullet will be sufficient.

Jeremy