Need camo jacket/pants/base layers recommendations for my wife

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My wife drew a tag this year and I actually have her pretty excited about hunting this year. Trying to get her to enjoy it the best I can, so I want to get her nice gear.

Looking for recommendations on brands, specific lines of camo, whatever. Don't care at all about patterns, just dry, warm when it needs to be, breathable when it needs to be. Base layers too.

Thanks!

Ddog

WKR
Have you checked out First Lite women's line? Spendy, but good stuff.

jt4

WKR
Agree with above. I bought my wife a FL merino piece for Christmas one year and she looked at me like I should be in a padded room. Now she wears it a lot. Granted she has less than zero interest in ever stepping in the woods with me.

Your first thought is spot on. Want to keep her interested, keep her comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I've had really good luck with smart wool tops. A few years ago got my wife a base layer top and bottom, Its their heavier stuff I think 210, she LOVES it and it keeps her warm.

Check out prois. It's a women's only hunting clothing brand. Got my wife set up last year she loves the stuff. Good laying system, quality garments. Definitely worth the look.

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn't agree more with what Timbercrawler said. Keeping her warm, and comfortable goes a long way! For mine her early season outer layers are Under Armor she loves how it fits and feels, the stuff is okay I think, nothing special. And for colder weather cabelas heavey bibs and jacket, it's good and fairly warm for trreestand hunting, but not outwest.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
First Lite and Sitka are definitely the top of the line name brand options. The Prios stuff definitely looks interesting, I've eyed it some for my wife too. I'd check Eddie Bauer clearance section and their big 50% off sales for a puffy if you're worried about budget.

My wife used Prois on a September oryx hunt and an October elk last year. It has held up fine and I haven’t heard any complaints from her about it.

My wife has a mixture of Kryptek men's XS & small gear, First Lite women's and non-hunting brand merino base layers. She also has a few pieces of King's Camo and has been very happy with them. Honestly, King's probably has the largest selection of women's camo, pay attention to what it's made from, they have some nicer stuff and some cheaper cotton stuff, but you can't hardly beat their prices.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
Looking into Prois a little more it seems like it's probably over priced thinking they'll have a niche as a women's only company.

The pants are similarly priced as Kuiu and maybe a little cheaper than Sitka, but you're getting a 7% spandex blend with no real features.

The rain gear is also similarly priced to Kuiu but doesn't have any venting or side zips on the pants, and also has significantly less breathability than Kuiu.

I know there's a few women out there wearing Kuiu stuff, but with how they're stuff is cut it doesn't seem like it would fit very well for a lot of women.

406unltd

WKR
If you get a chance check camofire for some cheap womens Sitka stuff every now and then. If you’re in a hurry though you can always just hit their website. Core base layer series, and the rest of the big game line will offer any and everything she will need. Sitka makes purpose built women’s garments. Good luck on the hunt!

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So I got her the Sitka merino base layers that were on sale from camofire.

Looking at first lite, I have a question about the womens jackets. I've only ever had corrugate guide pants from first lite. So looking at the womens catalyst soft shell Vs. the womens sawtooth hybrid jacket.

The area we will be hunting is River desert in mid October. Temps from high 20's at night up to 70's during the day. It will mainly be spot and stalk, bugling for location. Sparse pine and fur trees, little sage brush. When I hunted the area last year I had ALOT of rose bushes with the huge curved back thorns. I'll try my best to avoid that with the wife.

For pants I'm just getting her the womens version of the corrugate guide pants. Mine worked great in the area last year.

Thanks guys!