Need clothing advice for Arctic hunting trip!

I was invited on a last minute trip to do some predator hunting in the Alaskan Arctic and I’m leaving in 2 weeks. I’ve hunted all over but not in the Arctic. My buddy that lives in Fairbanks has some extra gear to help me out but I’m trying to figure out what I already have and what I can get to take with me. I could use some help from guys that have experience in hunting in 0° to -40°.

I’ve got a pair on bunny boots to wear along with good wool socks, so my feet should be fine. I have an assortment of wool long underwear. I was thinking about maybe wearing a light wool underwear UNDER a heavyweight long underwear. So I’m probably covered on that although I’m still considering adding some additional base/mid layer stuff like a First Lite Kiln or Wick hoody.

Here’s what I have for outerwear on hand:

Kifaru Lost Park Parka and Pants.
Kuiu Attack Pants
Kuiu Super Down Pro Jacket.
Old Kuiu Down shirt.
Kuiu Super Down Glassing Mitt
Kuiu North Star Gloves
Assortment of liner and lighter gloves
Couple of old fleece beanies

What do y’all think I might want to add? Mainly, I’m concerned about getting too cold while we’re sitting stationary for 45-60 minutes on stand. FWIW- I live and guide in S Texas and get cold pretty easily these days. I’m going to be going from 70° to -20°, a drop of 90° over one flight, lol! I’d like to layer myself with stuff that will also be useful for hunting here at home - as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

reaper

WKR
I was invited on a last minute trip to do some predator hunting in the Alaskan Arctic and I’m leaving in 2 weeks. I’ve hunted all over but not in the Arctic. My buddy that lives in Fairbanks has some extra gear to help me out but I’m trying to figure out what I already have and what I can get to take with me. I could use some help from guys that have experience in hunting in 0° to -40°.

I’ve got a pair on bunny boots to wear along with good wool socks, so my feet should be fine. I have an assortment of wool long underwear. I was thinking about maybe wearing a light wool underwear UNDER a heavyweight long underwear. So I’m probably covered on that although I’m still considering adding some additional base/mid layer stuff like a First Lite Kiln or Wick hoody.

Old Kuiu Down shirt.
Kuiu North Star Gloves

What do y’all think I might want to add? Mainly, I’m concerned about getting too cold while we’re sitting stationary for 45-60 minutes on stand.

Hands warmer

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

Kuiu Attack Pants
Old Kuiu Down shirt.
Kuiu North Star Gloves

What do y’all think I might want to add? Mainly, I’m concerned about getting too cold while we’re sitting stationary for 45-60 minutes on stand. FWIW- I live and guide in S Texas and get cold pretty easily these days. I’m going to be going from 70° to -20°, a drop of 90° over one flight, lol! I’d like to layer myself with stuff that will also be useful for hunting here at home - as much as possible.

I spent 6 hours out in -25 temps last Saturday. More than half that time was spent sitting. I was wearing a pair of REI mid weight long john pants under Cabelas wooltimate pants. Those pants were warm. Sorrel boots rated to -40 and my feet stayed toasty. I was wearing a 650 down vest under a 800 down north face parka. The parka is only worn when temps are below zero. I was comfortable. Comfortable enough that I had to open the parka when we were snowshoeing. Layers. And get some good wind stoppers. Down is my favorite and I prefer fewer layers in the super cold than the fall.

22lr

WKR
Take googles and a face mask. You absolutely want zero exposed skin for any kind of longer duration stay outdoors in that weather.

Don't forget hand lotion and chapstick. Even in gloves your hands will dry to a crisp and start cracking pretty quick.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Take googles and a face mask. You absolutely want zero exposed skin for any kind of longer duration stay outdoors in that weather.

Don't forget hand lotion and chapstick. Even in gloves your hands will dry to a crisp and start cracking pretty quick.

I do have a white bacalava and a white neck warmer/gaiter. I think my buddy has some goggles I can borrow but I was going to take some clear shooting glasses. Great reminder on the chap stick and moisturizer.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Forgot. I also wear a beaver fur hat. The hat was wonderful while sitting. Not so much while walking. Post hunt pic in the truck.

I think I’ll probably have to borrow that type thing from my friend. He has extra gear I can borrow and I don’t think a beaver hat is something I’m going to invest in as a Texan. Lol. But I am taking my beanies to wear under my down hood and the hood on my Lost Park Parka. That ought to give me some good protection.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
I’d consider warmer pants like Kuiu Axis. Bring lots of hand warmers as mentioned they are your friend.

Do you have a Balaclava?

You don’t think that a heavy pair of wool long Johns under a pair of Attack pants under a pair of Kifaru Lost Parka Pants would be warm enough?

j33

WKR
You don’t think that a heavy pair of wool long Johns under a pair of Attack pants under a pair of Kifaru Lost Parka Pants would be warm enough?

Anything there stop the wind? I have no experience with any of those so can’t comment. I assume you’ll be walking around without the down pants, so at -40F I wouldn’t be comfortable with thin polyester pants and thick long johns, under -15F I’d be okay.

I was out yesterday with the Axis in some warm winter weather shooting, laying down on snow, crouching, etc... Not having to worry about snow wetting my pants to me is where the Pants line the Axis shine, on top of wind resistance.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Anything there stop the wind? I have no experience with any of those so can’t comment. I assume you’ll be walking around without the down pants, so at -40F I wouldn’t be comfortable with thin polyester pants and thick long johns, under -15F I’d be okay.

I was out yesterday with the Axis in some warm winter weather shooting, laying down on snow, crouching, etc... Not having to worry about snow wetting my pants to me is where the Pants line the Axis shine, on top of wind resistance.

The Kifaru Lost Park Pants are good for wind and incredibly warm - they’re Climashield Apex insulated with a outer shell of water repellant Rhino shield material that is similar to a tent material. Plus, I’ll have my over-whites that go over everything. I talked with FL today as well as my hunting partner in FBX and they assured me that’d be plenty if I wear a pair of Furnace long underwear. I’m still going to take my regular Texas style (thinner) long underwear, though! Lol!

HuntNTag

WKR

22lr is 1000% on this. I hunted on a day it was -44 with wind chill. I had my nose out for 3 minutes and it already started having signs of frost bite. Everything else was just fine. I had 3 layers on with polartec fleece, a kuiu 1/4 zip and then my super down which I then fully covered with my cabelas mt050 bibs and parka. I was sweating. But the goggles, hat and facemask are a big deal that you can't forget about.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
BrushyHillGuide
22lr is 1000% on this. I hunted on a day it was -44 with wind chill. I had my nose out for 3 minutes and it already started having signs of frost bite. Everything else was just fine. I had 3 layers on with polartec fleece, a kuiu 1/4 zip and then my super down which I then fully covered with my cabelas mt050 bibs and parka. I was sweating. But the goggles, hat and facemask are a big deal that you can't forget about.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No doubt! I’m taking all that. I don’t even know what the wind chill will be if we hit -40° plus a wind. Lol. I’d rather not think about it right now. Haha! So far, the forecast is looking pretty good but things can change in the Arctic very quickly. I’m hoping weather doesn’t get in the way. If it turns too bad, we’d just hunt closer to Fairbanks or even head in a different direction, seeking good weather. But, our goal is the Arctic because we want a Arctic Fox; and we’re really hoping we may get a wolf or wolverine. Odds of success will be better up there.

Got some amazing news today.... after being in the guide & outfitter program since day 1 of Kuiu (I was in the G&O program for Sitka when it was Jason’s company) and all the reviews and photos I’ve contributed over the years, I’m getting a big package of gear to use and test for this trip! So, I got to pick a wishlist tonight and it’s going to be waiting for me in FBX, when I arrive. SO incredibly generous! It’s all loaner stuff that I’ll return but I don’t think I’ll be too cold unless I get myself sweaty. Lol. I know Kuiu gets hammered a lot here on RS but they sure are doing me right on this!

akrdkill

WKR

Ditch the attack pants, to much & be hard to move in. I like bibs as they keep your back warmer
windproof balaclava
neck gaiter...love my smart wool neck gaiter
I have chapstick stuffed in my pockets

be able to layer quickly