Need crampon help

Vandy321

WKR
Not a clinber, just tired of falling on my a** with a heavy pack on steeper snowy/icy terrain...2 years in a row i nearly hurt myself. Going to pick up a taller ice axe and some crampons for those Nov hunts.

I'm clueless on crampons as far as the strap on type vs semi auto, is it? I'm looking at the black diamond neve, as middle of the road, lightweight crampon i guess suited for approaches and steeper hiking vs full on mountaineering/climbing.

I've got crispi briksdals and was wondering if someone could help me understand what type of bindings would he best suited/most comfortable for that boot and those purposes.

Thanks

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like your describing terrain and conditions that require more than micro spikes. Those boots don't have a welt for semi auto/ automatic crampons. You would just need a strap on crampon. I prefer dual point and have used with grivel G-10 and black diamond contact strap ons.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
A strap on crampon like the black diamond contact would work perfectly for what you describe. No need for semi auto.

feanor

WKR
Agree with the black diamond contacts. Super versatile for boots without welts and you can make them work on less stiff boots too depending on the terrain. They have good adjustments and flexibility when lacing onto the boots.

I was gonna suggest katoola micro spikes but didn’t want to belittle your quest for legit crampons. If it’s truly crampons you seek I won’t get in your way, but the stepping stone prior is definitely katoola micro spikes.

Werty

WKR
I definitely agree, get crampons. I used micro spikes before, they just kept rolling to the side. At one point I screwed in sheet metal screws in " they worked".

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Thanks fellas, straps it is. Going to go with the Petzl Leopard FL straps as they're on sale, they fold in half for packing and they only weight 15oz. Durability of aluminum maybe a concern, but honestly I see myself wearing these far less than 20 miles/year.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks fellas, straps it is. Going to go with the Petzl Leopard FL straps as they're on sale, they fold in half for packing and they only weight 15oz. Durability of aluminum maybe a concern, but honestly I see myself wearing these far less than 20 miles/year.

Nothing wrong with aluminum for hunting use, it’s not like you’re climbing Denali and wearing them every day for a month.