Need Duck Decoys for this Weekend

TheGDog

WKR
I'm in SoCal, Orange County. Buddy I was gonna hunt with on Halloween Day can't make it (short-staffed he has to take-up the slack), and he's the one with the Decoys.

So the Questions for this post are:
1) Is there anybody on here with decoys they'd be willing to lend that lives in Orange County? (I'm in West Garden Grove, near border to Seal Beach)
2) Anybody wanna join me on the hunt? (down at Wister, Salton Sea, I can take up to 4 adults (with hunting lic, Fed duck stamp, ca duck validation, Type A Wilderness Pass) with me)
3) Besides trying to call them in with calls, and good camo, what are some other things that would be helpful for somebody hunting without Decoys?

Well... at least I did receive my chest-waders in time!

Got a Pintail last year. Should've been a Wood Duck in their too, but that's on me for being n00b with a shotgun. Hopefully the experience I've gained by Dove hunting during this last year will payoff!

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
You can Jumpshoot ducks in many locations without the need for decoys.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Plan on sitting in ambush with the full leafy gear again. Worked good enough to get a Pintail last year in December. The coloration is a pretty good color match for out there too. Since it's not a lot of reeds.

Just figured I'd put out a mention to join along since it's possible some folks might not be planning anything for Halloween this year. This is super last minute so not holding my breath in terms of expectations, but hey it'd be a cool way to get to know a few more hunting partners, so meh, ya never know.

Picked up a Haydel's DR 85 Mallard call and also their Honker Call as well. Figure it beats a kick in the head, give it a shot here and there. Using very sparingly. Figure the worst that can happen is they don't come in, so why not?

There was this little island strip in the middle of the water. I noticed last year they liked to fly-in and land in there instead, probably because it's safer since most hunters wouldn't make the effort to get themselves over there. So I'm figuring if I carefully wade over there, without falling, I could stand to do pretty decent if I shove into the bushes nice and good, keep myself in the shadows.

Anyhoo... we'll see what happens. It's nice sitting out there anyway. Really cool when flocks with thousands of birds swoop overhead just feet above ya. A ginormous cloud of blackbirds moving from one area, a ways over to another.

JakeSCH

WKR
I know how you feel about SCH, but I cross posted it for you...you are a legend over there and someone may be willing to help. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

BTW I tagged you in a comment the other day, did you get the notification? Lol new guys are so baffled because hatchet mentions your name in every other comment.

Reactions: MJB

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
GDog - if you were in PA I’d be out there hunting with ya. Give jump shooting a try! When hunting solo without a dog and decoys (which I do often) it can be quite productive. Stay tight to cover, move slow, call very little if at all. Good luck to ya!

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
I know how you feel about SCH, but I cross posted it for you...you are a legend over there and someone may be willing to help. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

BTW I tagged you in a comment the other day, did you get the notification? Lol new guys are so baffled because hatchet mentions your name in every other comment.
Well... thank you sir. I have to appreciate anyone showing *me* any considerate behavior, so thank you. With my level of seclusion... it's kinda not something I'm used to, or that happens all that often. So I do appreciate that.

RE: "you are a legend over there" - I'm sure not in a way that's considered complimentary to most folks.
But whatevs. That's ok.. I tend to prefer hangin' with folks who communicate in more than just 2 line grunts of caveman speak anyway. (I'm sure you know what'm I'm talking about.)

Though I must say that Hatchet, did seem to turn around at some point after the confrontations between us in the beginning and he seemed to truly have a positive change of heart, and became, dare I say, nice. I figured there was probably stuff he was going thru on his end or something. What with his dog dying and a few other things as I recall. Then my dog died as well. So I'm sure there were points where we werent' the best version of ourselves.

His "other half" over there though... a certain retiree that's into taxidermy... let's just say someday the universe is going to demand Karmic payback and I wouldn't want to be standing next to him on that day.

Kind of ironic that last straw was related to idiots...er.. I mean... less than perceptive folks over there not getting the joke in terms of the video link I'd posted re: that Adult-themed double-entendre Children's story book... which.... ya know... was being read aloud by an actual LEO officer who himself was the father of young daughters. Who himself got and understood the shock and humor of it. But anyhoo... whatever.... who in their right mind would want to hang out with those folks who weren't getting the genious humor expressed in the clever choice of words in that story.

Let's see... 6/13/2020 is the last incoming email notification I have from that establishment.

Last edited:
OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR

I just slipped over there a moment ago to lurk and read that thread for a sec. Remind me never to do that again. Ugh.

That was interesting. I'm actually kinda hurt by Steve Hazard's response, seeing as how we've done a several hunts together already. I sent him a TXT to ask him candidly if he actually believes I don't practice safe muzzle control, or if it was him just like going along with the vibe of bustin my balls on that thread. I'm going to be genuinely upset if that's actually how he feels. There were specific events during Dove Season where I specifically had to pull up on some fast-flying shots expressly because I knew they were gonna be heading too close to where his sit was. And I made sure to point that out to thim too. So he'd know I was lookin' out for him. He states he confronted me about muzzle-control? I can't recall anything like that ever happening. Maybe once initially when I was following behind him going up a hill, he asked me to change how I was field-carrying the weapon, in order to change where the muzzle would be pointing and I obliged. It's just weird, as I consider Steve a real standup kinda guy. Like the kinda guy that'd be direct with you and have honest candor.

Oh well. Guess this duck thing is gonna be just like all my deer sits this season so far. More of being alone by myself. Oh well. Guess I'll have my work cut out for then won't I.

JakeSCH

WKR
Sorry to open up a can of worms, I honestly thought someone would be more willing. I did expected a couple off the wall comments.

Yeah COVID in California sucks, everyone is isolated. Probably why there are dudes on every ridge right now 😂

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
I'm just isolated because of my profession. Been coding from the house for 19 yrs now.

I do believe there is something to your observation re: more people getting out to hunting since probably one of the few options left for diversion.

incidentally, TXT's w/ Steve and he explained the incidents that made him feel that way. Also I learned that in his past he's experienced negligent discharge, and also apparently some dude took a long shot on a duck on the water and he must have been on the other side of that and got peppered. And the dude wasn't properly apologetic for it.

At any rate I apologized to him. Let him know that I noticed in him, how he always puts the safety off last minute, then right back on after. And told him I've been trying to emulate that. He said he felt his words to me that day didn't register and that my reply "sucked". Which, now understanding this background info, I can understand him feeling that way.

I'm more used to being on sit for deer, and if I hear anything like leaves rustling at distance, or birds alarming, I typically go off safety right then, because I can't risk that loud safety click sound messing up my opportunity at such close distances on the ambush sit.

Also he mentioned how at times I'll rest the weapon against my body for a brief moment (with safety on), like if I have to take a moment to fuss with my re-adjusting my pants or my pack during the hiking. Which yeah, I know, you still shouldn't do. But I don't wanna have to be fussing with putting it all the way down on the ground. Used to always do that, maybe lean it on rock or bush, but then often had it fall over and getting dirt in barrel. Had that happen quite a bit in beginning of starting hunting. Then ya gotta waste time diggin out boresnake, using it, putting it back. (I do the electrical tape trick now for my rifle) Plus I'm sure my back issues are influencing me electing to not have to bend all the way down, especially for a quick re-adjust. But I can appreciate where he's coming from. He's just concerned for my safety. So I can appreciate that. I shouldn't be doing it that way.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
@JakeSCH
P.S. please make sure to (publicly!) correct MJB. I do NOT hate Steve. I like Steve. Steve's a cool guy.

EDIT: Ugh... just went back there again and re-read it all. Reminds me of why I left. I mean look at it. Nothing but grab-ass-tic haterade water-cooler talk and negativity. No thanks.

Wister is good hunting. I used to hunt it a lot when I lived there. We used about 6 to 8 decoys. Is there a Turners near by? You should be able to pick up a quick half or dozen. Or maybe even Craigslist

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Actually was on Turner's Y'day to start DROS on a G29 that finally came in so they had the serial number. No, they didn't have any Duck decoys. Just some leftover Dove Mojos.

Anyhoo...its too late for it now. I'll be leaving this evening and sleeping in my car out there.

Last edited:
OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Good Luck!!
Thank You Sir.

Sigh... just over here frowning and SMDH in terms of how that post over there is smoldering and re-hashing spilt milk and raising the forgotten ire in certain folks and how their reactions are sort of proving my point for me.

JakeSCH

WKR
Thank You Sir.

Sigh... just over here frowning and SMDH in terms of how that post over there is smoldering and re-hashing spilt milk and raising the forgotten ire in certain folks and how their reactions are sort of proving my point for me.

just got to shrug it off...can’t control how people respond. Also a good saying is that unforgiveness is like drinking poison hoping the other person dies.

Don’t let it eat you up. I know the spiraling thoughts but tell your mind “no” and choose to focus on other things.

I’m down in Brawley for work this winter brought my shotgun in case an opportunity came up for some birds but that’s all I have with me. Might get to go back home soon and get some more gear.

2ski

WKR
Too late for you now. But I bought a dozen decoys off Craigslist a month or so ago. Might be worth looking into.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
FYI - Got eaten alive by Mosquitos at Wister! It is no joke over there this year. I don't remember Mosquitos at all that prior time of going. But it was colder though, so maybe that had an effect on it. Back of my hands are so red and bumpy and itchy like crazy! Don't forget to take a ThermaCell people. I'm soo telling you! And I'd do the permethrin on the clothing too. All down my triceps and across shoulders and back over to the other arm as well.... pizza-red with bumps. Stings went thru knees of my pants too! That's the crazy one to me! Figure that's gotta be tough for a mosquito to pull off with their thin proboscis dagger.

FYI - Got eaten alive by Mosquitos at Wister! It is no joke over there this year. I don't remember Mosquitos at all that prior time of going. But it was colder though, so maybe that had an effect on it. Back of my hands are so red and bumpy and itchy like crazy! Don't forget to take a ThermaCell people. I'm soo telling you! And I'd do the permethrin on the clothing too. All down my triceps and across shoulders and back over to the other arm as well.... pizza-red with bumps. Stings went thru knees of my pants too! That's the crazy one to me! Figure that's gotta be tough for a mosquito to pull off with their thin proboscis dagger.
The mosquitoes are abundant during dove season down there too! How did it go?

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Called in a Spoonbill hen and got her. And then this Coot just kept taunting me swimming back and forth right there in front of me very close by.

Coots are sooo not worth risking wading into that muck! Hardly any meat on a Coot! It's like all guts. Lesson learned.

And Whoo Man! Wading into the muck with the chest waders on is sketchy as all hell! I eventually learned to take short choppy steps and to keep them moving so that your feet don't have a chance to sink-in all deep. Oh man, once your feet got down in deep? Man it is tricky as heck to extract that one foot and still keep the rest of you stable!

And when I went to fetch the Spoonbill... I had a bobble and fell to my knees in the muck! Thankfully the water wasn't too high right there so didn't take on any water. So anyway... after got myself back up, I'm like... I want my hands free.. so I attempted to toss the spoonie back to the shore ahead of me. But... I was holding it by the neck.. and the head just popped off at the end of my swing to toss it! That was something I wasn't expecting. But thankfully the throw was still decent so it reached and I got my hands free'd up to balance me better.

Overall it was cool experimenting with that Haydel's DR-85 mallard caller. I was routinely getting both groups and singles of bird to loop back around to check for where my call was coming from. I feel certain if I have decoys next time that it will work very well.

There was one time I saw some small amount of feathers come off while skybusting at one I'd called back in that flew over top of me. It's cool that with the way they have the hunters spread-out, you don't have to worry so much about peppering anybody else with shot. The distance between blind sites is great enough that can't happen. At least in the section I was in. I watched intently the one I'd made a lil bit of feather come off of. Didn't go down at all, so musta just grazed its tail end.