Need feedback on my clothing accumulation for an elk hunt

im in the process of accumulating clothing/gear for a late sept CO otc archery or WYO general hunt either late september archery or early oct rifle. Would probably be 5-6 days. Got lucky with some sales but wanted to know what else i would need to keep an eye out for and add to my clothing system? Here's what I have so far and was planning on bringing:

Darn tough socks
Exofficio boxers
Kuiu 125 merino S/S
Kuiu 145 merino half zip L/S
Kuiu Tiburon pant
First Lite Uncompaghre Jacket
First Lite Boundary Stormtight Jacket
pack is kuiu icon pro 3200 right now (would probably get a 5200 bag for the trip)

I still need to add:
packable Rain pant (looking in the direction of marmot precip or I'd seen something about a rain skirt)
Gaiters
Merino bottom (something like kuiu 145)
Vest or merino hoodie (something like kuiu guide vest or kuiu or FL merino hoodie)
Merino Boxers (looking at first lite red desert)
Merino Beanie
some kind of glove

Questions that I have:
1. Would the tiburon be enough pant if I get a 145 merino bottom? they breathe great when its hot and hiking, but if its cold and windy air goes right through them and that worries me. Might go kuiu attack or the kuiu teton instead
2. Do i need gaiters? Don't run them here but from what I see out west they can really help out when walking through wet grass/brush etc.
3. Would you recommend i go in the direction of a kuiu guide vest or a merino hoodie? or do I even need that with my merino base layer/puffy/ shell setup? Was thinking if i went merino hoodie then i wouldnt need the ss merino top.
4. Will the 5200 icon pro be enough pack for a 5-7 day hunt?
5. Recommendations for a glove?
6. Anything else I'm forgetting?
thanks

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For later September I'd leave the 125 Merino SS at home. For that short of time I'd take merino boxers, merino top and bottom, liner and merino boot socks, shirt and pants of your choice, a fleece jacket, puffy, and rain jacket. In your case, I'd leave the rain coat at home and just take the Uncompahgre. I prefer a down puffy with the rain jacket.

OP
bojangles808
thanks for the response. whats the advantage for having a fleece as a midweight layer vs a softshell vest like the guide or merino hoody like the chama? i have a cabelas fleece vest that could work but i always thought itd be kind of bulky and heavy for a western hunt. i also have a tiburon top i fotgot about but im not sure how that would fit in my system for elk

If you have an idea on where in the state and what altitude it might help. The weather can do just about anything that time of year. Anywhere from 80 and sunny to 20 and snow; on back to back days even. Snow has only happened once in the past 10 years in Sept that I can remember where I hunt at 9000ft, but I have had it in July at 11,000. Rain storms usually don't last long, but last year it rained almost all morning one morning and I did wear my stormtights. For most CO storms in the high country a DWR outer is good enough, but I'd at least carry a tarp if I were going without and check the weather before I left.

My personal September system is Llano QZ, Halstead, and Uncompagre on top and Ice Breaker 145, Corrugates on bottom. I also have stormtight top/bottom that I would bring depending on the weather (I will be switching to the new lighter one this year). The problem with Oct is you might be dealing with snow, which I would then prefer to have my North Branch pants, but some tall gaiters (Kuiu, Kennetrek, new FL ones) might get you by with just rain pants.

As far as vest vs long sleve; I personally don't think vests add enough warmth to be worth the weight. Fleece vs Merino I like both. I prefer the Halstead for the quick drying and the fit (the Chama didn't fit me right). It is worthless against the wind, so you will need the puffy or a rain jacket to cut the wind.

I have the Tib glove that I wore this year in Sept that worked great. Breathable pants are fine if you plan on bringing rain pants which you can wear to cut the wind. I haven't worn a gaiter, but have had 2 times where I wished I had them when I did get down in high grass, but I hunt an area that is more arid with a lot of sage and oakbrush rather than grass.

Pontius

FNG
I'll second choosing the fleece over the softshell. I tried to make a softshell work for 3 years, finally said "screw it" ran the down puffy over fleece option last year and was much happier.

The softshell is of course a decent windbreak, but your Uncompahgre will do a superior job of that. The problem is the darn softshell doesn't breathe as well as the tag would leave you to believe, using it under will be a clammy experience. On the other hand, if you're just sitting and trying to stay warm you need the loft of the fleece.

bhylton

WKR
I would consider icebreaker merino bottoms if you can find them at a good price. I love all the pairs i have. for you with the tiburon pant i would skip the boxers and just go 145ish bottoms (they are long UNDERWEAR after all, and will never bunch up). other than that i think your off to a good start. if its high elevation i would do chama hoodie as an outer layer most the day with your puffy and rain shell you listed in the pack. icebreaker has a nice beanie too. i think its called the sierra or something. for gaiters i like kuiu. other than that i think your in pretty good shape with the merino base layer/puffy/shell combo. its probably not gonna be wicked at that time of year so keep it simple

I echo what is said above. That being said, experience is the name of the game. Try to subject yourself to as much time outside in every condition. That will let you know what works for you. Everyone is a little different in body temps both active and inactive. As far as my gear I love the OR gaiters. I have not used rainpants in 4 years..although I still pack them. They are dryplus cabelas. Early season gloves are military aviator type. Late season are cabelas pinnacle primaloft.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
thanks for the response. whats the advantage for having a fleece as a midweight layer vs a softshell vest like the guide or merino hoody like the chama?

I don't like vests, but that's a personal preference. Fleece comes in different weights. I love microfleece as a midlayer in September, and maybe a 200 or 300 weight fleece for those active days when the temps drop. I never actually hunt with a puffy on, I'd be sweating too much even in the 20's. I only use them when I'm stopped if needed.

I'm also not a fan of anything merino besides my base layers and boot socks. It just doesn't do anything to help keep me warm like fleece does.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tiburons were great last year when it was hot but even with a merino under them the wind will cut right through. I did have one day where it dipped to 25 degrees and didn't reach freezing till almost 11 a.m. I feel the attack pants with out a merino underneath would be more versatile and less to bring. This was north central co. early to mid September, rolling terrain mostly dark timber, elevation 8000 to 10000 ft. Lots of marsh, sharp sticks and rocks that will tear up any pants so gaiters are worth it.