Need fishing waders and wading boot recommendations

Time for a new set of fishing waders and wading boots. I think I'm pretty set on Simms for waders. Want a zip front wader, that leaves the G4Z and the Freestone Z. Is the G4Z double the wader of the Freestone? Looks like same warranty, both US made with import materials

Any other brands I need to look at?

Wading boots are something I need advice on. I had a set of Korkers with the BOA that lasted 10 years. Was fairly happy with them, but the BOA was a pain from time to time, getting bound up or freezing.

What do you suggest I go with this go around? Uses are spring steelhead and trout, fall salmon and early season duck hunts.

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
Patagonia make very good waders . Orvis still have a good rep for waders . Simms are of course awesome .
For boots I'd look at Orvis and Simms fwiw (I have Simms now) .

JeffP_Or

WKR
I just replaced a pair; I have stepped up to the Redington Sonic-Pro HDZ which is their 4-layer material with zipper. They should arrive this week.
They are replacing a pair of Redington Sonic-Pro waders purchased in 2011 - my first and only venture into breathables. I float tube fish mostly and waterfowl hunt - both hike and float tube. I do try and be careful and I try to take care of them [cleaning, storing etc]; last year I had to repair the butt seam after 9 years as the material was delaminating after all those years - probably too many miles hunting and fishing sitting in the float tube. Most recently the neo booties to material seam was weeping [a tough repair].
For the price point and my first experience with the Sonic-Pro's, it has been well worth it and has kept me in the Redington product line.
Boots: I picked up a pair of replaceable sole Korkers; boa lace. Got them on a redesign closeout deal and they continue to go strong - I have several different soles for them. Zero issues ducking, fishing and hiking.
I will add, not sure if it is just Redington or if every manufacturer but availability has been an issue for what I wanted and in my size.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wearing Orvis Silver Sonic zips for several years and they've been great, I think they call them something else now...that being said, the only reason I'm not wearing G4Z's is because of the price. If I could afford them I'd have them, IMO they're just built better than anything out there, hard to justify though when you can buy a couple of pairs of the next tier down for the same price.
I also have Korkers with the BOA, they're fine and I probably wear them more than anything else because they're quick in and out but if I have to do much walking I prefer my Simms G3 guide's, they're just a lot more comfortable and they have held up to a beating better than any other wading boot I've owned. I've also been eyeing the Freestone wading boot online but haven't wandered into a shop to get a closer look yet.

Timplant

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the G4Zs last month for beaver and put a few miles On them trapping beavers and deer hunting, i came from reading ton sonic pros. I can honestly say 100% these are double or triple the wader from the fit to the boot cuff, fit like pants not waders. Extremely comfy and laid out features perfectly. I have 6 or 7 year old simms bolts that work great too. You won’t regret them.

dtrkyman

WKR
Need waders myself, love my korkers, boa and removable soles, beat to heck but still fully functional!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
Need waders myself, love my korkers, boa and removable soles, beat to heck but still fully functional!

PNWGATOR

WKR
O other brands to look at if you’re serious about performance and customer service and made in USA. Simms is the easy button. Waders are disposable. Might as well have the best experience you can while you’re using them. Simms and don’t look back.

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
Good choice on the waders, I’d go with the G4Z if $ not a huge issue. Gore Tex vs toray. Simms boots get my vote, I’ve had the freestones, in the G4’s now. 2 pairs of Freestones lasted until the felt sole wore thin, looks the same for my G4’s. Happy fishing!

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
The Redington Sonic-Pro HDZ is a very good wader for the money and Redington stands behind its warranty.

I’m not a fan of BOA wading boots as they freeze up too much in cold weather. I have had good luck with Simms boots. Very comfortable and durable.

Clarktar

WKR
I will echo the sentiments regarding Redington sonic pro waders and the company's commitment to warranty and customer service.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you think you’ll use them a lot, G4s are the absolute top of the line. I’d love to have a pair. I’ve only had G3s. My first pair of G3s lasted about 6 years before I got another pair. Maybe next time I’ll get the g4.

None of that is to say that other brands aren’t good. If I did t want to spend simms money, I might look at stuff from aquaz, also look at some of their stuff compared to orvis stuff.

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
XL short. Never really used them (wrong size) but they were close so I didn’t feel like returning them lol

Shoot. If long, I'd take them. I bought a regular based on their size chart but really need a long. I get the 'close' comment.

Noodlestheshaman

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot. If long, I'd take them. I bought a regular based on their size chart but really need a long. I get the 'close' comment.

No worries! Thanks for asking! I’m currently trying to move a few pieces of gear to upgrade in certain places. Someone is interested in my spotting scope but haven’t heard back in a while lol. Lowest price on a razor 22x you’ll find on the internet!

dtrkyman

WKR
USIA makes some top notch stuff, not sure if stocking foot are available? I would call them.