Need Food Advice

foss

FNG
Prepped my daily food rations tonight for CO opener, and I'm concerned it's short compared to some the guidelines I've seen posted. 6 days total. Planning to go in with 4 days food and camp on my back, but move after 3 if I'm not into elk.

Breakfast: oatmeal or MH scrambled eggs
Morning Snack: Trail mix with dried banana and mango
Lunch: Tuna or summer sausage sandwich
Afternoon Snack: Jerky or beef sticks
Dinner: MH meal, assuming 2 servings
Throw in a protein or granola bar somewhere each day

I added up the total nutrients and divided by 6 days to get an average daily intake. I don't think I've seen Carb recommendations, but 2,330 calories and 129g protein seems low. About the only thing I can think of would be to force myself to eat 2 servings of oatmeal even though I'm not normally much of a breakfast eater. I also have supplies to make bacon and peanut butter wrapped tortillas, but this already looks like so much food. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Bl704

WKR
Throw a bagel or butthole sammy in with / after breakfast and / or a meal replacement bar around lunch and you're around 3k cal.

jofes

WKR
Get the tuna packs with oil in them they bump your calories by 100 and the weight is the same.

OP
F

foss

FNG
Throw a bagel or butthole sammy in with / after breakfast and / or a meal replacement bar around lunch and you're around 3k cal.
Totally forgot I have a handful of Pro Bar Meals and Cliff Bars tucked away. I tried them a few weeks ago when I was out there for a little camping/scouting trip with my son. My stomach struggled with them I think because they are so "rich" tasting. Hopefully if I eat them at lunch with the sammy the bread will help mellow things out.

OP
F

foss

FNG
Anyone think I should be concerned about the protein? I've seen suggestions for 1g per pound of body weight if you want to keep your muscles rebuilding properly and not crash around day 3/4. I'm along way from 200g.

rjschill

FNG
Anyone think I should be concerned about the protein? I've seen suggestions for 1g per pound of body weight if you want to keep your muscles rebuilding properly and not crash around day 3/4. I'm along way from 200g.

For weightlifting lifting/building muscle it’s recommended 1g per pound of lean mass. Taking that into consideration 160 or 170 is probably sufficient. A protein bar or something along those lines instead of cliff bars would get you close.

I don't eat my breakfast in the morning either. Just a cup of Joe or a serving of energy and focus. I'll eat around 10 and nap an hour or so.

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
Youll be fine. 500 calories short a day is 1lb weight loss in a week. Most guys probably lose a few lbs if they hunt like the average rokslider.

Marble

WKR
Back packers pantry breakfasts have 600 plus calories, high protien and are delicous. Only need to add cold water.

Your c u lorie I take seems light. I like variety and the ability to eat more if needed. Sometimes I'll eat a full dehydrated meal at lunch depending on what going on.

Marble

WKR
Youll be fine. 500 calories short a day is 1lb weight loss in a week. Most guys probably lose a few lbs if they hunt like the average rokslider.
Even at 3000 calories daily I lose an average of slightly over one pound per day in the back country.

My metabolic rate is slightly higher than most send ima fairly big guy so take that into account.

Take some snickers, reese peanut butter cups, licorice, gummy bears. Why does everyone have to be so healthy. I'm burning heavy calories in the woods, eat some junk food in there. I eat like a stoner out in the mountain because eating is hard when I exercise that much . My food has to be good or I'll just not eat it.

Marble

WKR
It's because sugars like that cause inflammation and are empty calories. I love all of those things and never pass a candy bowl without taking a piece, but when I'm basically doing cardio all day I want foods that are more than just calories.

Last year was my first year that I didnt eat a bunch of candy. I thought all the talk about sugar was BS, but for me, the lack of it made a huge difference. Maybe your lucky and it doesnt affect you like me.

Bl704

WKR
Totally forgot I have a handful of Pro Bar Meals and Cliff Bars tucked away. I tried them a few weeks ago when I was out there for a little camping/scouting trip with my son. My stomach struggled with them I think because they are so "rich" tasting. Hopefully if I eat them at lunch with the sammy the bread will help mellow things out.

Try different bars then. Variety works for me. I'll try various bars through the year and squirrel away some for hunting season

Every flight during the year I get those Biscoff cookies, into the stash. They're like 120 cal each.

When packing I'll just appoximate each days food. Bagel + pb or hazelnut spread coffee, nuts, dried fruit, a few bars/cookies, jerky / sausage, a MH. Always have some candy, but it's more for emergency / bonk.

Ymmv
9ea4f91400b1456f07e5f2a71b641a6e.jpg

For me that would be ok on calories. I eat and am hungry for about the same amount of food in the mountains as when I’m home. If I brought 3,000 calories per day like everyone suggests I’d be packing leftover food out. If you workout regularly at home then use what you eat at home as a rough guideline. I agree on staying away from sugars, those will hurt you. Kind bars are a big part of my meal plans. Going to try PB Bacon sandwiches this year as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
During the season, I never eat anything even close to what most the charts show I need.....or what a lot of guys seem to take. But I'll also lose about a pound a day..........so roughly 20lbs for an average 20 days hunting in September. I'm 6'6" 220.

OP
F

foss

FNG
Great recommendations. I've added 1/4 cup (1 serving) of skittles and a couple hard candies for something sweet each day. The protein/granola bars I have are also very chocolate/caramel/sweet. Also going to swap tuna sammy for a bagel/PB lunch a couple days to get a little more variety. I'm going to whip up a few tortilla rolls tonight to see how they taste and it they're worth using for lunch a day or two.

Now my next concern is weight. I'm at 12.5 pounds for 6 days. 1.5 per day is what I remember seeing generally. The summer sausage sandwiches are the only thing that jump out at me as "heavy". Loaded pack, bow, and everything but the clothes on my back is at 51 pounds. I've identified a couple items that will get me barely under 50, but it's still going to be heavy. When I was out there camping/scouting with my son (he's 6) I went in with 50-55 due to carrying gear for both of us. I was really hoping to be around 45 solo. Looks like I may need some gear upgrades for next year. :)