Need good tripod for back country

MightyMatt

Lil-Rokslider
I've been reading all I can find and looking at hundreds of different setups and really don't know which way to go. I want a carbon tripod that I can use sitting or standing with my 12-40x60 gold ring compact spotter. I think I want the flip lock legs unless there is a legit reason twist locks are better. The spotter is not heavy but im thinking I would like to be able to shoot off it unless it's a bad idea??? Ideally something similar to the bog great divide tripod. I had 2 last fall and both were junk. One broke first trip to the range, the other broke on the 3rd time I carried it hunting out west last fall. The size, weight and capacity of the great divide were about perfect but they were cheap with the metal they used for the leg locks and the head.
I really don't want to lug around a Bog Death grip weight wise but want a little weight if it means quality. A tripod with 30ish pound capacity or more with about the same compact size as the great divide. Not sure which route to go with the head either. Im thinking pan head unless ball is better for some reason. The more I read the more confused I get. And one major thing I definitely do not want is a center column. Just a study 3 legs and the head. If anyone has found this perfect tripod please point me to it. Definitely done with bog unless they made some major improvements. Im more than willing to shell out some money for a quality piece of equipment but don't need a $1500 tripod. Just a sturdy, fairly lightweight tripod that will last. Id rather buy once, cry once than fight with a broken piece of junk in the woods.
And for the record im very careful with my gear. Both the bogs I had last year were never abused or misused. Im very familiar with carbon and it's weakness as far as flexing or crushing tubing goes. I made sure it was protected in my pack and in the truck the entire time we had it ot west. The latch was made of pot metal or some cheap crap and I have seen lots of pictures and complaints of the same issue before I purchased it but figured as careful as I am with my gear that it would be fine. I guessed wrong and was without a tripod for the second week of our Montana hunt last year. Anyway, if anyone has found this perfect tripod please let me and everyone else know about it. Thanks in advance.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Having owned flip lock and twist lock tripods any quality twist lock is faster and easier to use. Personally, flip locks are a hard pass on tripods for me now.

Twist locks also have fewer parts to malfunction and tools are not needed to adjust them. Of course, not all flip locks need tools either.

mthayr

WKR
RRS - I use it all the time. From PRS to hunting.

Well, yes - if the OP has a grand to spend, otherwise I "stand" by the AM series... I'm sure the carbon layering technique is more advanced on the RRS (and they're not made overseas) but the leg diameters are almost identical between the Sirui AM-284 and the RRS Ultralight Series 1, but for 20% of the price of the latter...

I don't know about you, but 5X the cost for similar performance - I mean, sure... I'd buy it, but only if I had money to burn.

For reference:
vs.

...and here's what it looks like supporting an 8-lb rifle:
IMG_0566.jpg

Last edited:
Having owned flip lock and twist lock tripods any quality twist lock is faster and easier to use. Personally, flip locks are a hard pass on tripods for me now.

Twist locks also have fewer parts to malfunction and tools are not needed to adjust them. Of course, not all flip locks need tools either.
I'm of the opposite view.. I hate twist locks and prefer flip locks.. but im also used to my outdoorsmans tripod.

just ordered the sirui 2204 as a possible replacement so we'll see if the flip locks are junk or not

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
MightyMatt

MightyMatt

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all the feedback and hope to hear more of people in field experiences with abby and all options. I like to hear the specifics of why you went with what you went with. As I stated I've read tons of opinions on what people like but specifics relating to why are helpful insight.

OP
MightyMatt

MightyMatt

Lil-Rokslider
I think I have a good setup worked out. I'm picking up a lightly used one off from Chutinlead. Should work out good for my intended use. Thanks all for the help.

OP
MightyMatt

MightyMatt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again everyone for the input. And thanks chutinlead for the tripod. I played around with it today and I think it's about perfect and just what I was looking for. Everything was packed securely and arrived in perfect condition. It will be in my pack for many trips ot west to come. Way nicer than the bog I had last year. Hopefully there will lots of critters die as a result of having it with me.
Thanks again.