Need HELP Choosing Ammunition

Wasn't sure which thread to post this, hopefully this works.

I just purchased my first rifle,

Xbolt Hells Canyon Long Range McMillan in 7mm REM mag.

I have read countless articles/forums trying to find out which ammo I should be shooting for Whitetail / Moose here in Saskatchewan, Canada. I understand it's a very opinionated topic, and that every rifle likes different ammo. I had the Hornady Superformance in the back of my kind for quite some time, but have read it is not a good deer round due to lack of expansion.

Hoping you guys would be able to mention a few brands/weights you would recommend for Whitetails/Moose and I'll buy up a box of each to test which my rifle likes the most.

Thanks alot!

SomeCanadianGuy

EDIT : Looking for Factory ammo only as I will not be reloading.

Spoonbill

WKR
I think you are overthinking ammo selection. My advice would be to buy a few different boxes and see what shoots best out of your gun. If remington corelokt shoots the best, then use that and focus on shooting the gun as accurately as possible. Bullet placement matters far more than bullet choice, especially when using something like a 7mag.

I agree with the other guy. Anything advertised as a whitetail or larger bullet will work for whitetails. I've killed them with sst's core-lokts, soft points, bondstrikes, accubonds, power points, they all work great. I've never killed a moose but I would think that a controlled expansion bullet like a Nosler Accubond would be great.

My 7RM shoots the 150 grain Remington core-lokts and the 160 grain Barnes TSX the best. Have taken deer with both and my only Elk with the core-Lokt’s. Happy with either but shooting the Barnes full time now.

gclubb02

FNG
Id go with a nosler accubond or a hornady sst in 150 or 160 grain. But I would make your final selection based off of accuracy

Tyrus001

FNG
Federals with accubond or partitions in the 150-160 range. Or all copper barnes in the 140-150 range. Corelokts/Hornady Interlok 160gr

Taprack9

FNG
Barnes TTSX or Nosler E Tips for whitetail and Barnes TSX for moose.

I’m sold on monos though. I’ve had nothing but great experiences.

MarkB71

FNG
I would focus on a couple of things;
First find out what weight and bullet type your gun likes. Every gun is different and hardly two the same.
Second I would set up for the moose and for sure it would work on deer as well.
Will you be doing long distance shooting possibly, bullets perform different at different ranges something to consider.

Barnes TTSX in light for caliber bullet weights are incredibly effective. Push them fast and they are the serious medicine for everything from Pronghorn to Moose. These and other mono bullets are the best choice for frontal or front quartering shots on big tough animals (think big bulls) as well. Lastly copper bullets dont leave gut piles that poison raptors and other scavengers and it feels good to eat and share meat free of toxic substances as well.

Trekenc

FNG
I like Hornady American whitetail or Hornady precision hunter eldx. I dont get fancy, shoot for the lungs. I like a bullet that holds together for a large exit wound. Never had one go more than 200 yards shooting for the lungs. I did have a deer go 400 yards on a double lung shot with an arrow two years ago. Still cant fiqure that one out.

I’ve got a finicky 7 mm - good suggestions above. I’d also toss out the suggestion of getting some variety in bullet weightS. I’ve had rifles that like heavier bullets and vice versa.

5RWill

FNG
Whatever shoots best will work. More than enough gun. Poke holes where they need to go and a whitetail will go down.

Storman

FNG
Wasn't sure which thread to post this, hopefully this works.

I just purchased my first rifle,

Xbolt Hells Canyon Long Range McMillan in 7mm REM mag.

I have read countless articles/forums trying to find out which ammo I should be shooting for Whitetail / Moose here in Saskatchewan, Canada. I understand it's a very opinionated topic, and that every rifle likes different ammo. I had the Hornady Superformance in the back of my kind for quite some time, but have read it is not a good deer round due to lack of expansion.

Hoping you guys would be able to mention a few brands/weights you would recommend for Whitetails/Moose and I'll buy up a box of each to test which my rifle likes the most.

Thanks alot!

SomeCanadianGuy

EDIT : Looking for Factory ammo only as I will not be reloading.
Definitely don’t use the same bullet for both. Yes one will do it but the performance won’t be there for the whitetail. I recommend the Winchester ballistic silvertip for whitetail and the accubond for moose. Problem I have is some of my rifles don’t like certain bullets so buying different boxes and seeing what shoots accurately.

I use Nosler etips in my 7mm Rem mag. Hornady GMX in my 30-06 and 338 win mag. Either have worked fine for whitetail or elk. As others have said lighter and faster ensure better expansion. 140 or 150 grain are what I use in my 7mm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk