Need help choosing camera for upcoming dall sheep hunt!

mdoolin

FNG
I am hoping someone can help guide my decision on what camera I should bring on my upcoming dall sheep hunt in Alaska this Aug. I have two cameras to choose from and am looking for some advice.

I am trying to choose between a Sony RX100 iii and a Sony A7 iii w/ a 28mm F2 lense. The A7 is obviously the better camera but with weight being a concern i'm wondering if it is significant enough to pack the extra weight for the extra performance? I'm not an expert by any means so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
If weight is a concern at all, I'd go with the Rx100. The best camera is the one you have on you. A Rx100 on your hip belt or in your pocket will serve you much better than an A7iii stowed away in your pack IMO.

2 things to consider. What will you be doing with the images and will you be getting into photography after this hunt.
You can't compare the cameras. While the RX100 is one of the best point and shoot cameras, it has a 1" sensor. The A7 is considered one of the best cameras on the market. If you will be blowing up your images or getting into photography then the A7 is the choice. You are comparing a Super Bowl Champ to the BCS (college) champ

Feel free to call me to discuss the plusses and minuses of each and of course, as always we will hook you up on either

BAKPAKR

WKR
I don’t have any experience with Sony cameras but I do have a 28mm prime lens for my Nikon bodies. While that is a great focal length for a lot of scenic shots, I think you would wind up missing a lot of good shots by being stuck at 28mm. I would recommend a zoom lens if you go with the A7.

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Consider getting a phone scope for your spotter and using your smart phone. On my brother's sheep hunt last year we used that setup as it was easy to access and we could record and really field judge rams. We came close to shooting a flair ram and if it wasn't for being able to scrutinize and rewind what we recorded I might have lost all my gear. If you look my name up there's two pics of "Rick Flair" that was debated here last fall. BTW it was recorded at ~650 yards. My .02

Jimbob

WKR
I do my hunting solo or with my younger son and or older dad, that means I am the pack mule. To me, every single ounce counts and is scrutinized. For those reasons, I pack an RX100. I like photography and my wife has some nice gear but I just can't lug that extra weight around. If I was going guided or with an able-bodied partner then I might make a different decision.

Also, if I was to bring a better camera then I would NEED to have the correct lenses to make use of that camera. I would feel wanting if I only had a 28 mm prime lens.

Last but not least, you need to be proficient with what you bring. Do you have enough skills to make the heavier camera worth it? and will you dedicate time on the trip to make use of the better camera? I am sure you know this stuff but it just needs to be in the conversation.

Good photography takes a lot of hard work. A lesser quality camera in the hands of a good photographer will produce far superior photos compared to the novice with the best camera.

I have dabbled a bit with photography and I think the RX100 will take better photos than me. It has great features to work in manual and it is lightweight, kind of the perfect camera when weight is a concern.

OP
M

mdoolin

FNG
Thanks for all the input!

If I were to bring the Sony A7 what lens would be suggested?

To keep it as small as possible, while giving you some flexibility I would do the following
For convenience I would suggest the A7 kit with the 28-70 lens. It happens to be the best kit lens on the market, 28-70 and is small and perfect to carry for this trip. When the weight is not a factor the 24-105F4 or the 24-70F4 are great options. If you want the 1 lens solution the 24-240mm is very popular. It all depends what you will be shooting. If you plan on shooting images like Jimbob posted then I would say go with the 55mm 1.8.
There is a reason Sony makes so many lenses, if you had 10 photographers in a room, each one has their favorite type of photography and Sony has a lens for everyone.
Feel free to call me to discuss the options

goat1958

FNG
RX 100 V or 6 A7 is big and for pro,s the RX series is top knotch as good as it gets and will take up little space.

bradb

WKR
So I am in the same boat and have my first sheep hunt Aug 26th.
I have a older Cannon ps 95.
How much will I really gain going with something like a RX100

Can't compare the 2. The Sony has a 1" sensor and has a much better lens that allows more light in. It also has a much better image processor built into the camera. Depending on your needs will determine which version of the RX100 you would need.
Happy to help. Feel free to call me

Joel
516-217-1000

deadwolf

WKR
Why not go in between the two and go for an A6500?? I have an RX100 as well as a Sony A6000(thanks to doug at cameraland) and I’d have no issues carrying either of those, but I sure wouldn’t want to pack an A7. Just my thoughts on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaGriz

WKR
Don't overlook the Olympus TG-4 or TG-5

Can be combined with a "Tines-Up" adapter to fit on your spotter and/or your binos.
I'm happy with the picture quality & battery life on my TG-3. Waterproof, shockproof, and dustproof, each generation has more features than the last. Mine has Bluetooth, GPS, and takes decent HD video. Good luck on your hunt! LaGriz

RyanC

WKR
Why not bring both.....if you're considering taking the A7 than the extra weight of the RX100 won't bother you. If you think the A7 is too big than just take the RX100. Bottom line is you will want a camera handy at all times, not in your pack where it won't get used. Get a scope adapter for your phone or the RX100 as well, getting video through the spotter on sheep is the best footage you will bring out of the mountains. Whatever you decide, make sure to take lots of photos and video, no such thing as too many pictures or video on a hunt like that.

Miahjera

FNG
I too have a Dall sheep hunt coming up this year, and in roughly the same boat as you. I've opted to go with the a 6500 for my trip. It's lighter and more compact than the A7, but with almost all of the same capabilities. That being said, there is something really nice about having a full frame sensor...

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend the peak designs capture clip. My problem is if my camera is in my backpack, I don't use it enough. The PD clip allows me to strap it right to my shoulder strap, and takes less than a second to get to. My one hesitation is rain. I'm going to be in the Brooks range, so I know it is going to rain on me, but I figure worst case scenario is I just put it in my pack when it rains.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
Which RX100 - I notice the different versions run from $500 to over $1k. Does it make a huge difference to get the latest and greatest version 6?

I have a sheep hunt coming up as well. Good luck out there!!

Sean

Hi
It's actually up to Mark 7 now. The key is what's important to you. The 6 and 7 have a longer zoom but sacrifice F stop. Do you need 4 k video?
Every one from Mark 3 up are excellent and I am happy to help you select the right one for your needs.
I am in today until 5:45. Give me a call to discuss the differences
Joel
Camera Land
516-217-1000