Need Help Choosing Sleeping Pad

I'm looking for a new sleeping pad and am spinning in circles.

I am "aging" and need more support, thinking at least 3" thick. I want one that is quiet, durable and "warm" enough to camp at high elevation thru late September.

I realize this is pretty open ended, but I've been debating over:
Nemo Tensor
S2S Ether Light
Exped Synmats

I think my biggest concern is getting enough R value, while still remaining as light as possible.

For what it's worth, I have an REI Magma 15 bag.

Your knowledge and help is much appreciated!

rayporter

WKR
as i aged R value got to be so important i carry a quarter inch closed cell to add on top. it does not need to be as long as the main pad. and it gets lots of extra use as a sit pad and kneel pad.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Klymit insulated Static V Luxe SL should at least get a look from you as well. It's hard to appreciate those wider pads til you sleep on one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
My dad is 65 and hikes all the time. Working on finishing the AT with my 67 year old uncle. He carries the big Agnes Q core SLX and a foam closed cell with the foil looking side. I believe it’s 4.25”

Last edited:

Ram94

WKR
The new Xtherm is pretty tough to beat if you’re comparing numbers.

OP
wdsmhunter
Thanks for the input so far. I was already sold on the wider models, I've done the narrow pads and it doesn't work for me.

I'll check out the Klymits

Honestly I was leaning towards the S2S Ether light because of the total thickness, but question the R value (if it's enough) and durability.

I like the idea of the 1/4" pad - great tip.

And "aging" was probably a little misunderstood - I am not pushing 60s or even 50s for that matter, but 40s is certainly far enough removed from 20s to make me realize my body can't do what it used to!

Norm555

WKR
I'm a huge fan of my big agnes q-core slx. I went into REI and tried all the sleeping pads they had and it was the most comfortable in my opinion. It's also very quiet which is a big deal for me since I'm not the best at falling/staying asleep. I hate the potato chip bag sound other pads make when you toss and turn.

OP
wdsmhunter
Does the BA Q-Core SLX have enough warmth for say 25-30 degree nights in a 15deg down bag and what is the durability like?

Can anyone compare the S2S Ether Light to the BA QCore SLX? They seem to be basically the same by numbers. I'd rather hold the mat around 20 oz if I can, then add the thin foam pad on top if needed.

Thanks for the input!

OP
wdsmhunter
The thermarests aren't thick enough (my personal preference) so unfortunately I scratched those off the list. Plus there are too many complaints that they are noisy.

Lowg08

WKR
My dad has used the big Agnes slx and foam pad down past 20 on snow. Even with a bag that has no bottom and the pad slides in.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The thermarests aren't thick enough (my personal preference) so unfortunately I scratched those off the list. Plus there are too many complaints that they are noisy.
The Xtherm also doesn't have a history of going flat like the Big Agnes pads. If it keeps you off the ground, and is warm enough, why do you NEED 3.5" or more of pad height? I've never had an issue with any of the XLite or XTherm pads from a noise perspective. I have had problems with BA pads going flat on me and have moved on from them because of it. I would take a weight penalty for a good night's sleep, and if you are stuck on that 20oz weight then nothing compares to an XTherm in that class for warmth and longevity.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lando

WKR
Sneaky makes a couple of good points:
1) Big Agnes pads do have a history of air leaks, mine included;
2) thickness of the pad doesn't matter much as long as it's enough to keep you off the ground.

OP
wdsmhunter
All good perspectives. At this point, I probably need to just order 2-3 pads and decide for myself. I'd attempted to try them at local REI, but thanks to Covid can't do that anymore. Thanks again 2020!