Need help deciding on a jacket, gloves, and possibly pants.

atenjones

FNG
So, I'm hoping to take advantage of some of the sales going on right now, and I need to grab some new gear. But I've got kind of a unique situation. I'd like something that I can use for hunting (usually whitetails from a treestand in Ohio, and the occasional trip out west), but it would also be great to get something that I can also wear to town and when I'm working outside.

As far as work, I'm a sports camera operator, and I primarily shoot football. From September through mid-October, I'm fine in my Prana Stretch Zions and a t-shirt or hoodie. But when the temp starts to drop, things get a little dicey sometimes. For instance - if anyone watched the Browns vs. Eagles game last weekend, I was stuck in the middle of that 36 degree downpour for four hours.

I need something that is warm, yet has quite a bit of flexibility for movement. Most of the game I have a 30lb camera on my right shoulder, so I'm also trying to avoid excessive bulk as well. I go through a mix of stationary and movement. Usually, I'm stationary - either standing or kneeling. But several times per game I'll have to take off on a dead sprint to get to the other end of the field after a big play, and before the ball is snapped again. I also kneel down on my knees for extended periods as well, so durability in pants and flexibility is super important there as well.

I'm also looking for a new pair of gloves. I need really good grip in the palms (for holding the camera), and very very good dexterity in the fingers for adjusting zoom/focus. I've tried tons of gloves over the years, and have never been able to find the right one. I usually don't wear any, and just stuff my pockets with enough handwarmers to fry an egg. And it's miserable.

I have a waterproof shell jacket, and rain pants that I can throw on - but water resistance for those times when there's a light sprinkle would also be nice.

As far as pants, I usually run my Pranas (greatest pants I've ever owned), but I've got permission from the wife to spend some cash, so I'm considering some options there as well.

For jackets I'm considering either the Uncompaghre 2.0, the Kuiu Super Down Ultra, or the Sanctuary - but I'm a little concerned that the sanctuary might be too warm, especially when I have to run. I'm also looking at the Kuiu Talus pants, or the Sanctuary bibs for those playoff games in Green Bay.

I know this is kind of a rambling post, but any advice y'all might have would be great.

Thanks!

Brendan

WKR
What about soft shells? Sitka Jetstream is a great piece, little bit of insulation, blocks wind, water resistant, is available in solid colors too. Quiet enough for treestand hunting. One of my favorite pieces of gear. Where it will fail you is sitting still in cold temperatures or in steady rain - you need heavier insulation and then your hard shell jacket and pants for that. But, match it with a lighter weight puffy, and you've got a pretty good system.

A pair of pants that'd match it are the sitka timberlines. Not waterproof, but have some DWR, and have waterproof / reinforced knees and seat. You can't get them in the number of colors you can get the Jetstream, but they are available in a gray.

Gloves, I'm still searching myself.

Clarence

WKR
Kuiu axis hybrid should work nice for a jacket. Axis hybrid pant would give more warmth for later season games.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
A

atenjones

FNG
Awesome, thanks so much guys. I’ve never really had a soft shell, so I wasn’t sure how warm they are compared to a puffy? I definitely like that they’re more durable than a puffy, and seem to have less bulk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Awesome, thanks so much guys. I’ve never really had a soft shell, so I wasn’t sure how warm they are compared to a puffy? I definitely like that they’re more durable than a puffy, and seem to have less bulk.

Definitely not as warm. But the puffy isn't as wind or water resistant or as durable. Designed for different things.

If it were me, I'd get the soft shell and a cheap puffy - you can get insulating layers at a ton of places right now. REI, moosejaw, even Costco....

Then you can wear the softshell on its own, or layer multiple insulating layers underneath, or leave it home and sub in your hard shell rain gear with the insulating layers.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
IMHO you have some tough and somewhat conflicting needs to meet with any one of those items. As an example, a pair of gloves with a good grip and the dexterity you seek is probably not great for warmth in a long rainy game, in contrast to a glassing type mitten (which would not have the grip and dexterity you want). Maybe combine a pair of gloves that meets those needs with a big muff? I do that with some Sitka gloves and muff for archery. You could also look at some of the waterfowl gloves where the shooting hand glove is thinner than the support glove.

Are you able to wear or stow a backpack so you can add and shed items? I’m guessing you may be limited in how much/ what you can change, but you might be able to put on a puffy under your rain gear.

OP
A

atenjones

FNG
IMHO you have some tough and somewhat conflicting needs to meet with any one of those items. As an example, a pair of gloves with a good grip and the dexterity you seek is probably not great for warmth in a long rainy game, in contrast to a glassing type mitten (which would not have the grip and dexterity you want). Maybe combine a pair of gloves that meets those needs with a big muff? I do that with some Sitka gloves and muff for archery. You could also look at some of the waterfowl gloves where the shooting hand glove is thinner than the support glove.

Are you able to wear or stow a backpack so you can add and shed items? I’m guessing you may be limited in how much/ what you can change, but you might be able to put on a puffy under your rain gear.

Yeah, I think that’s kind of my issue. I need something that’s warm, not bulky, not too hot when I run, but will keep me warm when stationary. It’s a pretty tough ask for one piece of gear. The more I’ve thought about it, I may need to just accept that I need a couple different pieces for different situations (obviously).

The Kryptek Lykos II puffy is on a good sale right now, but I’ve never used any of their stuff (I think their camo is just a little too tacticool for me). Has anyone had any experience with one of those?

And the muff idea is a good one. That’s actually the only thing I’ve used that’s worked somewhat well, but was hoping to find gloves instead. I think I may try a pair of lighter gloves like you mentioned and stick with my muff. I could also get by with a thicker glove or mitten on my right hand, and something lightweight, or nothing on my left. I focus with my left hand, and I have to be accurate to within millimeters. Even the first-lite liner gloves I’ve tried slipped a little too much. It’s almost like I need to have the gloves glued to my fingers so they act as one unit.

Thanks!

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Sure thing. And of course it’s worth repeating/reminding that your hands being cold is related to the warmth of the rest of your body. I love the Pnuma heated vest, and a really good neck gaiter and hat.

OP
A

atenjones

FNG
Sure thing. And of course it’s worth repeating/reminding that your hands being cold is related to the warmth of the rest of your body. I love the Pnuma heated vest, and a really good neck gaiter and hat.

I was looking at those vests! Do they actually work? Seems simple enough, but I’ve been to skeptical to try them.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I have one that has worked well for me in the tree stand, but I still layer. And I bought an extra battery so Incan swap for long sits.

Kuiu attack or pro pants are better than Prana IMO. Pro pants have built in knee pads that you may like.

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider
The jetstream jacket has been very versatile for me. I wore it for 8 of my 10 days for Idaho archery elk and a recent 3 day Idaho deer hunt. The recent trip was 17-34 degrees; dry,snowing then melting from trees. Active hunting to areas where I’d sit and call for 45 minutes throughout the day. I kept a puffy in the pack but never needed it because of the sitting time. Last year I wore it during a downpour because I didn’t pack a rain jacket so that’s the only time I’ve been uncomfortable while wearing it but obviously my fault. If I had a do over, I would have picked a solid color for versatility.

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
I got a Kryptek Lykos puffy last year on Black Friday. It's a great puffy and my go to for around town and to and from work when the temps drop below 30. When it gets in the single digits and below I wear it with a softshell over the top.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk