Need help for a colorado archery mule deer hunt

Jordan guyer

Lil-Rokslider
I am trying to put a high country mule deer hunt together, I have one prefrence point. I am looking for any help on areas to do research. if any of you guys could help out that would be awsome, thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

rhendrix

WKR
I don't have any real input, but I'm trying to draw 75/751, I basically want to hunt somewhere that is hard to access with nothing but walk in trails.

Look at the statistics page and subscribe to Eastmans Bowhunting Journal, that should get you started in the right direction.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Jordan,
one point is plenty. If you want to hunt High Country, any of the units south of I-70 above 11,500 have good bucks. If you just gotta have more specific info than that, then look at the draw odds for the high country rifle/muzz hunts. The ones that are hard to draw MIGHT be the best, although I'm convinced there are great bucks in all the high country units.

The unit won't matter near as much as your knowledge of it. If you can scout, that is the very best. If not, you'll have to make contacts in the area to narrow it down to what you can manage on a week hunt. This knowledge is more important than the unit. I'd rather hunt a mediocre unit I know than one that is harder to draw that I don't know.

High Country is intimidating and even overwhelming, even if it is a great unit, and knowing your area makes a huge difference psychologically.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

a3dhunter

WKR
Jordan,
one point is plenty. If you want to hunt High Country, any of the units south of I-90 above 11,500 have good bucks. If you just gotta have more specific info than that, then look at the draw odds for the high country rifle/muzz hunts. The ones that are hard to draw MIGHT be the best, although I'm convinced there are great bucks in all the high country units.

The unit won't matter near as much as your knowledge of it. If you can scout, that is the very best. If not, you'll have to make contacts in the area to narrow it down to what you can manage on a week hunt. This knowledge is more important than the unit. I'd rather hunt a mediocre unit I know than one that is harder to draw that I don't know.

High Country is intimidating and even overwhelming, even if it is a great unit, and knowing your area makes a huge difference psychologically.

Best of luck.

Hey robby, don't you mean I-70?

I would also say along the continental divide south of I-70 would narrow it down a little more.

OR Archer

WKR
rhendrix if you do draw that unit be sure to check on the sheep grazing that has occurred there. that can ruin a good area real quick as we found out.

rhendrix

WKR
rhendrix if you do draw that unit be sure to check on the sheep grazing that has occurred there. that can ruin a good area real quick as we found out.

Noted. I'm actually looking at Idaho or S. Dakota and building PP in CO and WY.