Need Help - Idaho Unit 67 Bear w/ Stepson

LBuchser

WKR
I need a little help. After many years my stepson has come to me really wanting to get into hunting. I never pushed it on him. There were some situations in life that kept us apart for a while (never his or my fault). We'll just say that life has brought us all back together in 2019.

He has never been hunting but had always wanted to (his dad is not an outdoorsman) and he really wants to go with me. He and his wife came down to visit us, in California, last year, we visited them in February this year and when they came back to visit us this year he started really talking about wanting us to go hunting, so I told him he needed to take his hunter safety course. He sat down and got it done over the few days they were with us. I had shoulder surgery in July and knee surgery yesterday (Oct 1st). It was a rough year at work for me. So due to the surgeries, we cant hunt together this year. However, I've been researching, e-scouting and pouring over Google Earth and we have pretty much decided that we are going to do a Spring Bear hunt in unit 67. I've done a lot of hunting over the years and unit 67 looks like it has some prime Bear country. Looks pretty Rugged but looks good. Ive found some great avalanche shoots to glass and good glassing points. We are still deciding on whether we are going in April or May.

I've looked at harvest records and it looks good and but i've seen post about unit 67 being rough for hunting elk and deer. We are planning on putting a good amount miles down and one area would be east of Upper Lake Palisades and another would be closer to the WY border area and east/southeast of Mt Baird area. Im not asking for locations or specifics but I would love some general confirmation or insight anyone may be willing to pass on to us. I just want to make this an amazing trip for him. I'm hoping for 7 days out there. Its 90% about the experience and 10% about getting a bear or two down.

Thanks in advance. I hope I wasnt too long-winded.

Rock-o

WKR
There's a lot of county out there. What are the odds that I have been scouting very close to the same area (east side of Upper Palisades Lake) and that I saw your post. Single digit miles away.

I guess since you posted first you marked the territory. You'll surely have a great time. Good luck to you and your step-son.

OP
LBuchser

LBuchser

WKR
There's a lot of county out there. What are the odds that I have been scouting very close to the same area (east side of Upper Palisades Lake) and that I saw your post. Single digit miles away.

I guess since you posted first you marked the territory. You'll surely have a great time. Good luck to you and your step-son.
I'm not marking it. Please go and enjoy. I wish us all the best of luck! It's beautiful area! Cant wait to go.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I’m not sure I’d go in April. Was across the line last year in Alpine and several of the FS roads were still closed in May.
Bears may still be denned up in April and early May. Call the biologist for the area and talk it over with him.

OP
LBuchser

LBuchser

WKR
I’m not sure I’d go in April. Was across the line last year in Alpine and several of the FS roads were still closed in May.
Bears may still be denned up in April and early May. Call the biologist for the area and talk it over with him.
Thank you so much. That's exactly the stuff I need to hear.