Need help making decision for deep in mountains

My plans for this year didn't go according to plan, of course. I'm going to try to help my wife get her first archery cow elk this weekend. I was going to go deep into the uintas for the last week of archery, but if she gets one this weekend then I'll be working on processing that meat.

Of course, life happened over the summer and I wasn't able to do any scouting deep in the mountains. I spent all my time scouting where I hunted last year, trying to figure it out a little better for my wife's hunting.

Since I got the multi-season elk tag, I'm thinking I'm going to go deep in the mountains the first week of rifle season. I'll get up there a day early to hike around and scout as much as possible. So, I'll basically be going in blind and it may be a total crap shoot as to whether I find any bulls or not! But, I'll be covering a LOT of ground each day, so I think I should be able to at least find cows, which should lead me to bulls if they're still hanging out with them.

. Here's what I think I'm looking for in location.

1. The elk I've been able to spot deep in the mountains seem to be in these areas. That doesn't mean much, I know, but at least they're there at one point.

2. Get away from trail dense areas and hunter dense areas

3. Somewhere with plenty of meadows. I know when the shooting starts, they're going to head for the trees, but maybe I can find some in the open the first couple of days.

4. Not sure what elevation to limit myself to. As long as there's not deep snow on the ground, I'd expect to still find them high, but not sure.

5. Not more than 10-12 miles from my car (have a Honda CR-V, so I can't get too crazy with high clearance roads).

Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out what would be best. I assume most drainages are nearly equal for holding elk... maybe that's just ignorance. I'm not really confident I'll fill my tag... I'm just looking for a good time and trying to build my confidence in the destination I end up choosing.
If anyone feels like giving a suggestion, I'd happily welcome it, but I fully expect to not receive any specifics and I also expect to get some laughs 😉 any tips or insight or whatever would be helpful. And yes... I'll be taking a fishing rod 😂

Last edited:
OP
H
Do you have horses? 10-12 miles is stupid far to pack out a bull on your back...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't. I was considering possibly getting pack goats or llamas, but probably not.

Yea I realize that's ridiculously far and I'm prepared for that. I'll be giving myself 2 or 3 days to pack out and past that point I'll hunt my way back in.

OP
H
And to be clear, I'm not asking for anyone's spots. I just want some general thoughts on various drainages

OP
H
I would classify “various drainages” as a spot...

Yes but I don't mean I want someone to say "I hunt up the John's drainage and it's good " . Just general thoughts, like... "There's a boat load of hunters up the Dry river drainage" or "Jane's canyon is on fire" or "Jack's basin is really beautiful".

Even if someone did tell me one of the major drainages is good, it doesn't really matter so much because they're absolutely huge. That's much different than asking for specific drainages like Hollow Basin or Elk Basin.

Last edited:

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
The only way to figure out the unitas is to put in the work year after year. Anyone who kills elk in the Uintas won't (and shouldn't) tell anyone a thing. Most of the 15,000 general elk tags will be heading up there so any good info is tough to come by and has been well earned. I won't even tell anyone if I hunt north slope or south slope. That said, it looks like you have a good plan and are willing to put in the work during the season. Get out there, enjoy some pretty amazing country, don't go home early, and enjoy the learning experience. It may not happen this year but you may get lucky. Either way take what you learn and apply it to next year. Good luck!

OP
H
The only way to figure out the mountains is to put in the work year after year. Anyone who kills elk in the mountains won't (and shouldn't) tell anyone a thing. Most of the 15,000 general elk tags will be heading up there so any good info is tough to come by and has been well earned. I won't even tell anyone if I hunt Idaho or Montana. That said, it looks like you have a good plan and are willing to put in the work during the season. Get out there, enjoy some pretty amazing country, don't go home early, and enjoy the learning experience. It may not happen this year but you may get lucky. Either way take what you learn and apply it to next year. Good luck!

Yes I get that. I've got a pretty sweet spot I archery hunt in that is in the mountains and won't tell anyone where that is. I've put in a to ln if time there to learn what I have so far. I shot took a bull there last year. But, it's not 10 miles up the drainage, so I figure it may be more prone to crowding. I wouldn't think that many people go way up there like I'm going to be doing, relative to what it's like near the edges of the unit.

Does it sound like I'm asking for specific info? I'm truly not. I apologize if it seems that way! My main concern is avoiding others and having good scenery.

Last edited:
In general asking for info beyond things like "what kind of weather can I expect, are the roads typically passable, is water readily available", means you're asking specific info.

Put a major drainage out there on the internet, in a forum that is known for having serious hunters. . . And you may have just sent that drainage name to the top of lots of peoples lists!

OP
H
In general asking for info beyond things like "what kind of weather can I expect, are the roads typically passable, is water readily available", means you're asking specific info.

Put a major drainage out there on the internet, in a forum that is known for having serious hunters. . . And you may have just sent that drainage name to the top of lots of peoples lists!

Got it. I'll just see what happens and possibly post a report!

I'll try to offer some guidance.
Elk will use everywhere in the Unitas but not all the time. Finding areas that consistently hold elk is the ticket.
You will have plenty of company 10 miles in. Lots of guys with horses. If you go that route take a coupke crisp hundreds and beg them to pack your bull out.
When I have pulled lymph nodes for disease samples it is mind blowing how many elk end up whole in camps. Seems there are plenty of elk less than 10 miles in.
If you are just wanting that experience it is a beautiful place. Pick a drainage and head up.

OP
H
I'll try to offer some guidance.
Elk will use everywhere in the Unitas but not all the time. Finding areas that consistently hold elk is the ticket.
You will have plenty of company 10 miles in. Lots of guys with horses. If you go that route take a coupke crisp hundreds and beg them to pack your bull out.
When I have pulled lymph nodes for disease samples it is mind blowing how many elk end up whole in camps. Seems there are plenty of elk less than 10 miles in.
If you are just wanting that experience it is a beautiful place. Pick a drainage and head up.

Thanks! Yup, mainly going just for the experience and to start learning a place further in for future trips. And hoping I get lucky.

OP
H
Dude. You ever haul an elk on your back for 12 miles in the mountains. That is a real bad idea. I don't mean to sound unkind, you sound tough enough, but that is rough. Deboned cow elk is about 175 lbs plus your gear. Two or three trips, half under heavy load. Pack animals will be your friend.

Haven't done an elk that far from a vehicle, but I've done numerous long backpacking trips with a 75-pound pack doing 20 miles a day for a week and I have done a few things that involved over 100 miles and 40,000ft of vertical climb (non-stop).

I'm not trying to sound like a super badass or anything. But I know I would be able to get it done over the course of two or three days, albeit slowly. My location and shot decision will be key as well. I'm not going to go 10 miles from my car, then drop down into some sort of nasty basin several more miles to where I have a real tough climb to get back to the 10 mile mark. It's gotta be a relatively tame 10 miles haha.

Will_m

WKR
Put me in the camp of being incredulous at anyone claiming they packed an elk out 10-12 miles.