Need help, musket caps not snapping!!!

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
So here's the situation:

Gun = brand new Knight Ultralite, 50 cal
Ignition System = Western style breech, with musket cap nipple installed
Musket Caps = Schuetzen Musket Caps, 4 Wing Style

I've never shot this gun. I'm getting ready to work up a load using some Hornady Prairie Hunters and 777, but I wanted to confirm the Schuetzen caps I got would ignite. I've fired about 10 of them (with empty bore) and I'm not hearing any audible "pop" and when I look at the caps they don't seem dented enough to me. I've reseated on a few them of several times just to make sure they're not getting seated well. What does a properly fired musket cap look like when it's actually ignited? And what kind of sound does it make? I would have assumed its really loud. Is there a trick for the bolt and musket caps that I'm missing?

I appreciate the help, my hunt starts in a few days. Trying to shop around and look for other caps, whether they be musket or percussion, is somewhat problematic right now...

OP
OrangeMan73

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
Quick update, I unscrewed the breech plug half a turn and it finally cracked one off. I now know what an ignited musket cap is like haha. I dug through my workbench and found a washer to shim out the musket nipple, I'll give that a try in the morning.

It truly may be a problem with the way the hammer assembly might be installed and/or the length of the breech plug and nipple setup.

First thing I would suggest is to check the secondary safety on the rear of the bolt - make sure that it is turned all the way out. Next open and close the bolt and with the secondary safety screwed all the way out pull the trigger. Then view the face of the bolt - the hammer should be sticking out of the face of the bolt about 1/8" inch or maybe a little bit more.

The secondary safety is the knurled knob on the back of the bolt - it needs to be turned CCW tight

bolt.jpg

I really thought I had a picture to show the hammer sticking out of the face of the bolt but I can not find it.

Next look and see how far the nipple is away from the face of the bolt. This picture shows the distance from the face of the bolt to the #11 cap installed on the nipple

P1010014.jpg

Hope some of this might help you.