Need help. Splitting brass necks. A lot.

OP
S
you guys do realize there is no Remington to send it to!!!

get someone to take a chamber cast or get some cerosafe and do it your self.

other wise hope it is the ammo.
Remington Customer Service is still operating. Not much else.

Reactions: WCB

Alienx

FNG
My brother-in-law is driving. I am flying into Boise. Didn't practice with the Winchester rounds as I wasn't considering using them at that time. SO I looked a little more closely at the unfired Remington rounds. Is this seam/line on the neck normal?
It's cracked right from the box? Crazy!

Fatcamp

WKR
Just got back from the range. The gun is not the problem. Ran the rest of the box of Winchester and a half a box of Federal I found (both soft point) and not a single split. I feel a little better knowing it is not the gun but hate wasting so much range time over the last couple months on that crap ammo! I have to drive 2 hours to shoot over 200 yards. My brother-in-law is going to get me a couple boxes on the way and I will rezero when I get there. Thanks for all of the input and advice!

Rounds down range is never a waste of time.

WCB

WKR
My brother-in-law is driving. I am flying into Boise. Didn't practice with the Winchester rounds as I wasn't considering using them at that time. SO I looked a little more closely at the unfired Remington rounds. Is this seam/line on the neck normal?
Just checkin if you were driving through my parts I have plenty of 7rem ammo

Sorry for the delayed response...It is not normal. bad batch of brass...bad annealing, maybe just a bad batch of even the raw brass. Can't believe how many guys are so dumbfounded this happened. It is a mass manufactured product...things happen. I would definitely contact Remington Ammunition again when you return to get your money back. Send them the fired and unfired round pictures with the lot/batch information.

Also, surprised how many guys referred a chamber cast...If it was a new gun that maybe had a burr in the chamber that was scratching the brass deep and causing a split. But you definitely made it clear this gun had prior use on it with no issues.

Good luck on your hunt!

Wrench

WKR
You guys do realize that fire forming is common practice to shape cases.....right?

You have a crap batch of brass. Fell free to measure it after shooting.....but if you had a chamber so wonky it eats brass it sure as hell isn't going to be 400 yard accurate.

I have split brass in chambers I cut that are within. 0002" .....it's the brass.

Reactions: WCB