Need help understanding slider archery sight function

OutdoorAg

WKR
Yes, it’s bc I’m new to high end sights. In the past, all I’ve used are 3 pin fixed sights.

I’m now in a place to spend some money on a nicer sight with something moveable that allows me to practice at longer distance.

However...all these websites suck! For example: Montana black gold’s website- no descriptions, much less a video. Nothing. What the heck.

Yes, YouTube is full of stuff, but wading through the ads and the archery bros and the how-to’s and the sponsored stuff kinda sucks. Is there any way to get a fairly succinct description/review of the moveable sights on the market? What the differences are, features, etc. So far I’ve looked at Option archery, MBG, Axel Accutouch. Just trying to get a handle on what’s on the market, how they differ, etc. None are cheap.

I’m sure someone has done this and I just haven’t stumbled across it.

Basically they will all function very similar. Unless it's a fixed housing with a floating pin inside the housing, like the option sight. The housing will be mounted on a flat gear rack, you rotate a knob to move the housing. The differences in them are where the knob is, where your scale is, and what the components are made of that do the moving. The rest of it is like fixed sights. Choose a pin size and the number, 3rd axis or not, dovetail mount or not etc.

This might help if you haven't watched it already. The beginning talks about fixed pin sights so you can skip that if it's not needed however he does talk about 3rd axis which is important.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when looking at specific sights. Some examples are 2nd and 3rd axis adjustment, micro adjust pins, micro adjust windage, tool less adjustment, dovetail vs fixed position, dovetail bar material (carbon vs aluminum), pin size, amount of exposed fiber just to name a few.

If you get narrowed down to a few models we can probably help you decide between them a little better.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR

This might help if you haven't watched it already. The beginning talks about fixed pin sights so you can skip that if it's not needed however he does talk about 3rd axis which is important.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when looking at specific sights. Some examples are 2nd and 3rd axis adjustment, micro adjust pins, micro adjust windage, tool less adjustment, dovetail vs fixed position, dovetail bar material (carbon vs aluminum), pin size, amount of exposed fiber just to name a few.

If you get narrowed down to a few models we can probably help you decide between them a little better.

Super helpful!

Thank you for this.

Makes a ton of sense.

So with the exception of the Option Archery sight...all other sliding sights move the entire housing, thus throwing off your other set pins, correct?

ShakeDown

WKR
Yes sir. You will set your moving pin or “floater” - that will be the only accurate pin once you slide.

The caveat here are double marker sliders like the Spot Hogg Fast Eddie single post double pin.

Super helpful!

Thank you for this.

Makes a ton of sense.

So with the exception of the Option Archery sight...all other sliding sights move the entire housing, thus throwing off your other set pins, correct?
You are correct. All slider sights move the entire scope housing except the Option sights. So when you move the scope housing the pin you have designated as your slider will be accurate as long as your sight tape is on and your indicator is as well. The Option sights moves the single pin.

I haven't ever tried an Option sight so I can't say if they are good one way or another.

Option sight won't give you the range of others that move the housing. Probably a lot of people will max at 75-90 yards with one.
That's probably a good estimate of max range with the 4 and 6 pin models (1.125" pin travel), but most people should be able to get 100+ yds with the 8 pin model (1.625" travel). I can get to 130 yds with an Option 8 shooting 400 gr arrows out of a 28"/70# bow.

That's probably a good estimate of max range with the 4 and 6 pin models (1.125" pin travel), but most people should be able to get 100+ yds with the 8 pin model (1.625" travel). I can get to 130 yds with an Option 8 shooting 400 gr arrows out of a 28"/70# bow.

I haven't messed with the 8. I had I think it was a 6 (5pin with slider), pretty certain I couldn't get to 80 with it. Can't remember exactly now. I haven't liked the idea of the elongated housing, I'm sure it's fine for most, I just don't like the thought of how it would align in my peep.

Kilboars

WKR
To get max distance, use your bottom pin as your floater and adjust it as low as possible in the housing then adjust the rest of you pins above. Also the farther your peep is from your D-Loop the more distance you'll get from your slider. And of course heavier poundage and lighter arrows give you more distance.

I'm big on Black Gold and I have one for sale here if interested. I like this one because it has the micro tuning on each of the 5 pins. I use the 5 pins for hunting and I can adjust it for a follow up shot or for just shooting longer distances like in the Total Archery Challenge.

I have the Spot Hogg Fast Eddy in front of me but it's going back or getting sold here because I can not make out the bubble at full draw very well because they have a bracket behind it rather than just open like most sights.

I have the option 8. Shooting 72lbs with a 30" draw and 510 grain arrows my floater bottoms out at 95 yards. My buddy shoos pretty similar bow setup with 450 grain arrows and his goes to 105. I'd like a little more range but really like the clear sight picture the single pin option gives you for odd yardages at longer distances.

I think S and S archery had some good videos 4 years or so ago. I remember black gold but thought they had others.
I use black gold with 3-5 pins. It’s fixed until I need to dial past my last pin.
most distance as noted above is with your slider pin low in the housing but that is also the least accurate setup. Slider in the center of the housing is the most accurate. I wouldn’t mess with peep to d-loop distance, just set the bow up right and your max distance will be what it is.

Kilboars

WKR
I have the option 8. Shooting 72lbs with a 30" draw and 510 grain arrows my floater bottoms out at 95 yards. My buddy shoos pretty similar bow setup with 450 grain arrows and his goes to 105. I'd like a little more range but really like the clear sight picture the single pin option gives you for odd yardages at longer distances.

Try putting marks lower on the single pin or using the bottom of the housing for your marker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buggz

FNG
I never understood how are people using these in hunting situations.
Unless I am not understanding correctly, how do move a sight in such a tense situation?
Sounds like too much much work with very little time, never mind the emotions, environment, etc...

Jimbob

WKR
I never understood how are people using these in hunting situations.
Unless I am not understanding correctly, how do move a sight in such a tense situation?
Sounds like too much much work with very little time, never mind the emotions, environment, etc...
Stalk to edge of cliff and spot billy standing below, grab range finder and range him, lower range finder and use right hand to set sight, draw bow and settle pin in kill zone, execute shot. That's how my I did using a moveable sight for the first time.

I think it works better for spot and stalk, the animal is usually fairly still and you are taking your time coming in. In a stand or calling then animals is moving and more unpredictable.

I just see it as part of the shot process. Rushing in archery can be problematic sometimes so slowing down is not a huge deal.

I have three pins so if I need to shoot quick I can, if not I can adjust sight to exact yardage and be more precise.

buggz

FNG
I am liking the idea of the hybrid slider sight a lot now.
Thanks!
The price though, argh...

KBC

WKR
I really like the 2 pointers on my MBG mountain lite. I have 3 pins set at 20-30-40 and can use my 20 and 40 yard pins as sliders. Out to 40 I don’t have to touch it, if there’s more time I can fine tune either pin.

I have a black gold 3-pin slider and I have my bottom pin as a slider. I have 30 40 50, because from 20-30 there is not much drop