Need Help w/GAIA

Crusader

WKR
Right up front, I'm not very tech-savvy so bear with me. I have a Garmin Montana and have used it with different state chips on a couple of western hunts. My buddy had used Onx then. I saw lots of good reviews for GAIA and they have a great price for a year of their premium service so I got it. Figuring not having to carry the Garmin, just my IPhone.

I am working/messing around with the app a bit; one of the things that attracted me to it (and I know other brands off this, not just them) is the ability to download maps ahead of time for offline use. But I don't quite grasp how that works. I have downloaded a map of NF land, it's in my library. But how do/will I actually use it? I am going on a hunt next month here in MO in NF land where I anticipate not having cell service. If I have cell service, I would think it would work fine with it's "provided" map. But when I lose cell service, will the app "tell" me that I need to go to a previously downloaded map or do I need to recognize that and pull up a map?

Likewise, and this has me a bit befuddled, when I have service, the map shows me where I am in real time. If I don't have service and would be working from a downloaded map, the app can't show where I am on that map since it isn't tied to a satellite at that point, right? So if I couldn't see where I am on a map then, what's the point of having the map?

I have Googled and watched some GAIA tutorial videos and just don't see this concept explained. Maybe it's real basic and a given but as I said up top, I'm not so tech-savvy.

So if anyone could maybe give me a few tips, "GAIA for dummies," I'd appreciate it!

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Just put your phone in airplane mode. It will display the downloaded maps automatically. You can switch the layers between the ones you have downloaded.

You can re-enable location (while still in airplane mode) to see your location on the map.

Give it a test at home. You'll see the outside borders of your download remain fuzzy.

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
Just put your phone in airplane mode. It will display the downloaded maps automatically. You can switch the layers between the ones you have downloaded.

You can re-enable location (while still in airplane mode) to see your location on the map.

Give it a test at home. You'll see the outside borders of your download remain fuzzy.
Thanks for the reply. However, when I do that (go to airplane mode), it then displays a map of where I live, my home area. That is not a map I have downloaded and saved; I have only downloaded a national forest map in southern Missouri.

Any explanation or ideas on why that is happening? And alternate suggestions or a workaround?

Erict

WKR
Download a small map of the area you live, then put the phone in airplane mode (deactivating cell service). Your phone should now be in GPS mode and you will see how it operates and how you are displayed on whatever map layers you've chosen to view. When done, delete that saved map to save storage.

Here’s an example of one of my maps I have downloaded. On airplane mode which would be the same as not having cell service, it’s blurry at edge of map. Then I took a screenshot of same location with airplane mode off.

Attachments

• 48B886D8-6FBD-42EF-8518-262836F299A7.png
    48B886D8-6FBD-42EF-8518-262836F299A7.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 33512DC6-0794-428C-BFD6-21CDAB67607F.png
    33512DC6-0794-428C-BFD6-21CDAB67607F.png
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 15