Need help with a Black Gold 3-pin and the Dual Indicator Slider

philcox

WKR
Question on a black gold three pin slider set up. What does most western hunters have their three pins distance at? I’m shooting a nexus prime, the Chrono says it’s about 296 fps with a 443 gr arrow. I dialed in my sight tape, and that says 285 fps (was the tape I ended up with). I set my 3 pins up at 25.40.55. Which I figured would cover anything from 15 to about 60 yards, without an adjust (in a rush).

I was running a Dial Pin Fast Eddie on my PowerMax, so this setup is completely new to me.

any input is appreciated.

phil

Im willing to bet it might be 20, 30, 40. That's what im using but i don't see why your setup would not work tho

ZDR

WKR
I have a MBG Mountain Lite with the dual indicators and 4 pins. My pins are 20, 30, 40, 50 with my 20 as my top floater and my 50 as the bottom floater. works well for me.
I think it is better to dial in a blank tape and then find the MBG tape that matches. The labeled speed on my current tape and the actual chrono speed of my bow are not close.

Question on a black gold three pin slider set up. What does most western hunters have their three pins distance at? I’m shooting a nexus prime, the Chrono says it’s about 296 fps with a 443 gr arrow. I dialed in my sight tape, and that says 285 fps (was the tape I ended up with). I set my 3 pins up at 25.40.55. Which I figured would cover anything from 15 to about 60 yards, without an adjust (in a rush).

I was running a Dial Pin Fast Eddie on my PowerMax, so this setup is completely new to me.

any input is appreciated.

phil
How big is your drop between those pins? I would think about what pin you are going to use when you have something come in at a yardage in between pins. If a deer is at 35 yards are you going to hold high with the 25 or low with the 40? Set those pins up so have as much ranging forgiveness as possible. Should be pretty good with your speed.

I have the mountain lite with dual pointers, and I keep it simple with 20/30/40... that takes care of any shots in the woods I’m likely to take and can quickly dial in for a follow up.... or more likely target shooting.

with a slider and dual pointers, there is no reason to get fancy on pin yardage... whatever you have shot in the past is what you should stick to, because you are already familiar with it. Don’t complicate things where you have to think too much in the heat of the moment

I have always shot multi pin sights starting at 20 and every following pin is another 10yds, that’s what my mind sees when I look at the pins, there is no way I’m changing that now.

familiarity is very underrated IMO

I think those yardages for that speed are pretty good. I still have to sight a 3-pin MBG pro on a bow that shoots around 270fps, but my plan is to set at 20-35-50. My other bow has a fast eddie dual pin and its indicators fell at 20-35 with a speed of 273fps, and it seems like a comfortable, non-confusing pin gap. I keep that 20 yard pin for targets.

I have the mountain lite with dual pointers, and I keep it simple with 20/30/40... that takes care of any shots in the woods I’m likely to take and can quickly dial in for a follow up.... or more likely target shooting.

with a slider and dual pointers, there is no reason to get fancy on pin yardage... whatever you have shot in the past is what you should stick to, because you are already familiar with it. Don’t complicate things where you have to think too much in the heat of the moment

I have always shot multi pin sights starting at 20 and every following pin is another 10yds, that’s what my mind sees when I look at the pins, there is no way I’m changing that now.

familiarity is very underrated IMO
I have the same sight, same yardages and the same advice for him. His setup is a bit faster than mine so the 15 yard gaps should be fine especiallyif hes used to it, i just like the 10 yard increments for simpler math when gapping cause im not a math wiz and ive never tried any other way lol

aachey

Lil-Rokslider
mines around 285 fps, 20,30,40 but when i go out west i slide it so my bottom pin is at 50. so the pins end up being 32,40,50.

I set my wifes at 20-30-40. I run my 3 pin at 20-35-50, which I can dial down to be 27-40-55 almost exactly, which is close to what you're wanting. I don't like having all of my pins squished together.

Trial153

WKR
Except for my white tail set up I go 25-35-45 and float my center pin.

I build a tape from 45 down then print it out

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is 20 30 40 . I like to keep the math easy incase I dial out to 60 or 65 I can back count pretty easy.