Need help with a exercise routine

Afhunter1

WKR
It is not really convenient for me to go to a gym. I really don't want to anyway. I'm not looking to become a body builder I just want to increase my strength and endurance. What I have at my disposal is a pull-up, dip, push-up tower and some low weight dumbbells. I can buy more if its worth it.

This is my plan:

Mon, Wed, Fri --- 10 push-ups, 10 pull-ups, 10 dips, plank for as long as I can hold it then (repeat as many times as I can without losing form)

Tues, Thurs, Sat--- jog/run 3.7 mile loop around lake in my back yard (will also do some heavy pack work at a local mtn on these days)

Sun -- 30 min of easy Yoga

Is this OK or am I leaving stuff out that is not being worked?

Thanks for the help.

renagde

WKR
I workout somewhere between 2 and 5 times per week. I'm not real consistent but it works for me. I mix up my routine, and just do whatever workout i feel i need to do to focus on my fitness. I do "Murphs" (look it up if you need more info), Mtn Tough 22's (again, look it up), kettlebell routine ( https://greatist.com/move/full-body-kettlebell-workout#how-to-do-it ), and then i mix in some ab and arm workouts from my wife's "Kayla Itsines" workout. The Murphs and 22's are strenuous and I usually won't do them more than once a week. I find if I do one of them on Sunday and one on Wednesday that usually gives me plenty of recovery time. Then i mix in one or two ab workout, run, or kettlebell workouts throughout the week. This gives me a pretty good balance of strength and cardio.

OP
Afhunter1

Afhunter1

WKR
I have been backpack hunting and have killed elk. Last time though, it took me a full week to recover from 7 days in the mtns. My legs were jello/shot after doing 40+ miles in the Idaho back-country. I will not be that out of shape in Wyoming this year, I'm closing in on 40 and don't heal as fast as I used to. Ha Ha

Thanks for the recommendations so far and I will look them up tonight.

P Carter

WKR
10 pushups? Seems like it would be advisable to start gradually working those numbers up, gradually if 10 pushups currently registers as some sort of work. Perhaps add some lower-body work, as well, perhaps jumping lunges, jumping squats, wall-sits (all bodyweight), or walking lunges and goblet squats (weighted). Box jumps (bodyweight) or box step-ups (weighted) would be good options also.

Edit: That was perhaps too harsh. It seems, to me at least, that consistency would be the key. Start out with the routine that you look forward to rather than dread, stay consistent and you'll probably naturally start to increase the numbers. Remember that the runs serve a different function than the strength. Keep it nice and slow at first so you're not huffing and puffing. That may be embarassingly slow for a few weeks, but eventually the aerobic capacity will come and you'll start running and more reasonable speeds at the same effort levels.

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
10 pushups? Seems like it would be advisable to start gradually working those numbers up, gradually if 10 pushups currently registers as some sort of work. Perhaps add some lower-body work, as well, perhaps jumping lunges, jumping squats, wall-sits (all bodyweight), or walking lunges and goblet squats (weighted). Box jumps (bodyweight) or box step-ups (weighted) would be good options also.

Edit: That was perhaps too harsh. It seems, to me at least, that consistency would be the key. Start out with the routine that you look forward to rather than dread, stay consistent and you'll probably naturally start to increase the numbers. Remember that the runs serve a different function than the strength. Keep it nice and slow at first so you're not huffing and puffing. That may be embarassingly slow for a few weeks, but eventually the aerobic capacity will come and you'll start running and more reasonable speeds at the same effort levels.
As I understand the OP, it was sets of 10 and then "repeat until he can't maintain form" which would likely add up to alot more than 10 total.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
I cannot really comment without knowing your age, current fitness level and any physical issues that you my have. These are really important to working out a good program that is sustainable and provides results.

OP
Afhunter1

Afhunter1

WKR
I cannot really comment without knowing your age, current fitness level and any physical issues that you my have. These are really important to working out a good program that is sustainable and provides results.

I’ll be 39 on Sunday. 5’7” 170# haven’t really done anything over the winter so I’m starting from scratch. I ran the 3.7 mi loop yesterday and did it in 38 min. 1st time I ran this year. I don’t really want to lose any weight. Just exchange some extra fat for muscle.

I have no limitations right now

Thanks!

*zap*

WKR
I would say to try your program for 4 weeks, if you feel debilitated after 4 weeks or at any point up to that you may want to reassess. If after 4 weeks its apparent you need to upgrade then upgrade. @ your age I would think you could get pretty aggressive with conditioning if you want to do that. You might add in some azz to grass squats with bodyweight or a weighted pack on and/or box step ups. There are also some good suggestions above.
Personally I think basic movements with weight is very important, especially as you get older.

Last edited:
I gave up going to the gym a few years ago. Nowadays I do a 12-15 minute workout originally modeled after Train to Hunt's competition regimen at home 4-5 times a week. I do one 10-20 rep set of 5 different exercises with light cardio (100 jump rope or jog to the mailbox and back) between each set to keep my heart rate up. I've been slowly varying my routine and adding different pieces of simple equipment, but a homemade 50 lb sandbag and 20" step up box are still what I use the most. I recently drafted a pair of hammock straps into service as suspension training straps to further expand my options. I also work in a few miles a week with a 50-60 lb backpack in the months leading up to hunting season. Here's the various exercises I choose from to give you some more ideas for an at home workout regimen:
• Sandbag squat + box stepover
• Sandbag get-up + box stepover
• Sandbag overhead press + box stepover
• Sandbag ground-to-shoulder + box stepover
• Sandbag lunge
• Box jump
• Suspension push up (hands or feet in straps)
• Suspension row
• Pull-up/chin-up

Photo of the current extent of my "home gym":
IMG_20200220_183558980.jpg

twall13

WKR
I gave up going to the gym a few years ago. Nowadays I do a 12-15 minute workout originally modeled after Train to Hunt's competition regimen at home 4-5 times a week. I do one 10-20 rep set of 5 different exercises with light cardio (100 jump rope or jog to the mailbox and back) between each set to keep my heart rate up. I've been slowly varying my routine and adding different pieces of simple equipment, but a homemade 50 lb sandbag and 20" step up box are still what I use the most. I recently drafted a pair of hammock straps into service as suspension training straps to further expand my options. I also work in a few miles a week with a 50-60 lb backpack in the months leading up to hunting season. Here's the various exercises I choose from to give you some more ideas for an at home workout regimen:
• Sandbag squat + box stepover
• Sandbag get-up + box stepover
• Sandbag overhead press + box stepover
• Sandbag ground-to-shoulder + box stepover
• Sandbag lunge
• Box jump
• Suspension push up (hands or feet in straps)
• Suspension row
• Pull-up/chin-up

Photo of the current extent of my "home gym":
View attachment 156190
I like the way you rigged up those hammock straps, multi use and cheap.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Endurance is very important for some hunting....for example, when the season opens in Alaska for sheep/caribou in August, you can shoot from 4 am to midnight. Most of the hunters from the lower 48 I've hosted had adequate strength, but some really lacked sufficient endurance.

For endurance, look at how mountaineers and marathoners train. Also tough feet are important...very difficult to condition in the gym tough feet for the mountains.

Easy to fix your lack of lower body resistance by combining it with your preference for body weight training: just add 10 body weight squats to your M-W-F circuit, maybe between the pull-ups and the dips.

When you build some more strength so that the squats feel like the "break" part of the circuit, then take your heaviest dumbbell and start doing goblet squats or overhead weight squats instead of body weight squats.

There is lots to do to build from there.

Mix in some hiits sessions to get that heart cranking. 10-20 minutes a couple times a week to start. Plenty of programs that use body weight and some light equipment. I would layer in some lower body stuff to your weights for strength and joint health.

Air squats, courtesy squats, pistol squats, lunges, lunges with some elevation, dumbbell squats, thrusters.

If you want to get crazy go with some dumbbell cleans and snatches for a little explosive power.

The routines can be simple - Something like 5 pull ups, 10 pushups and 15 air squats every 2 mins for 10 rounds. Rest the balance of the 2 mins.

As far as adding gear, a 35# kettlebell is a mean machine if used properly. There are some wicked kettlebell cardio routines that will leave you wrecked after 20 minutes. The Keith Weber video is $10. Other cheap gear that doesn’t take up space are excercise bands. Lifeline makes a set that I use a lot. Variable poundages and with a little knowledge they are great for training a bunch of different ways.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's another one to mix things up. It's a trial run from Mtn Tough of the 22's. It's a humbling one.

Then they have have their 30-30 program which is all weightless/body exercises for no gym. I think it's $100 for one purchase and lifetime of access. Just putting it out there, I personally like structure to a workout instead of doing it myself. But try the 22's from them, it's a tough one.