Need help with boots

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
I currently own kenetrek Mtn extremes UI, the boots are about 3 years old with lots of miles. They leak in snow conditions leaving my feet wet and miserable. I also sweat a lot in the boots which leaves me wet and miserable. I don’t recall this always being and issue and am considering sending them into kenetrek, I believe all they do is a new sole and rand however. I believe the leather is getting saturated from snow.

I also have some scarpa’s not sure of model I like a few things about the boot lightweight, lower cut, stiff as hell, more synthetic than leather. I do not enjoy the heel bite they give me on occasion or the lacing system.

I am looking for a boot to wear pretty much year round. I understand how difficult that can be to accomplish. I don’t think I want a heavy insulated boot for 4th season Colorado, due to weight, comfort and it has seemed once a insulated boot gets cold it’s very hard to warm up (backpacking).

Synthetic vs leather?
Waterproof membrane or goretex?
Uninsulated vs insulated?

I have tried on the crispi Thor and was impressed.

I would look at the Crispi Nevada or Guide boot. Both come in a non-insulated model and both come in a wide model, if needed. I switched from Lowa Tibets because I couldn't keep them from leaking and went with the Guide. I've only used them on one 10-mile trip, but it was a technical trip and they are comfortable right out of the box. No hot spots or blisters. My feet never felt this good after a trip like this.

I wear hanwag makra gtx. Love the comfort and lightness and they’re fairly stiff even with all that. I live in western wa and I just find that gtx still lets some water in, not much though.. but take into account it might be one of the wettest spots to test boots. I’ve heard from other guys in other places that their feet stay dry all the time in them.

Have you ever waxed them?
Try that and maybe a lighter sock?
What about wearing gaiters? I get water wicking down my socks often when I'm to lazy to put gaiters on.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
What about wearing gaiters? I get water wicking down my socks often when I'm to lazy to put gaiters on.

I was wondering about the waxing my self. The gore tex in my lowa tibets has split at the seam in the heal but I lather them in obenauf's and haven't had any issues with leakage in creek crossings and none when wearing gaiters in snow or wet grass either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Slawger42

FNG
I have been trying out the LL Bean Cresta Hikers (leather) for a couple years now. They are very comfortable, but the seam where soles are glued have been splitting a bit. Not bad for a year round boot though. I am looking toward the Nevada uninsulated to try next.

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider

I wax them on a regular basis, use merino thin socks, and waterproof gators when the conditions call for it. The kenetreks seem to just be a very hot boot, with some leaking issues.