Need help with choosing a new glove

Finch

WKR
I know this topic comes up often but I just wanted some first hand experience. I have gone through a few pairs of the thin (probably considered "liner" gloves) from Under Armour. I'm no UA fanboy but I am a fan of their thin gloves especially with fleece on the side of the thumb for wiping my snotty nose! :)

Anyway, my current gloves are getting some holes and pulling apart at the stitching. Before I drop $40 for a pair that will only last me a couple seasons, I'm wondering about upgrading to something else. I wear these same gloves from the start of season until the end. When it's really cold, I just keep my hands in my pockets with some hand warmers. I would love to use a warmer glove along as it's THIN.

If they are windproof and water resistant, that would be a huge plus too. My current ones are neither.

Will the Kuiu guide gloves be what I need? Will the wrist closure work well with my release? I did notice that UA has another glove that might be slightly heavier than what I currently use. Any other options out there? Below are pics of my current gloves.

Amazon.com: Under Armour Men's Scent Control 2 Hunting Gloves, Realtree Ap-Xtra (946), Large: Sports & Outdoors

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

KUIU peloton gloves are the best thin glove I have found and their phone screen index and thumb finger tips work very well especially to other gloves with that feature I have tried. I either use the KUIU Yukon which isn't offered anymore or a pair of glomitts that are mostly windproof with hand warmers over these liners. Previously I have tried most hunting brand merino gloves. None last that long with first lite being the least durable and Sitka the best fit. Used to like the KUIU merino 210 fit and weight but they don't offer them anymore either.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Funny how companies no longer offer what works well for it's customers. I'll give those pelotons a look. I did buy a pair of UA's while in Sportsman's Warehouse today. They were actually on sale so I came out alright but we still look for a more durable glove. Thanks.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
KUIU peloton gloves are the best thin glove I have found and their phone screen index and thumb finger tips work very well especially to other gloves with that feature I have tried. I either use the KUIU Yukon which isn't offered anymore or a pair of glomitts that are mostly windproof with hand warmers over these liners. Previously I have tried most hunting brand merino gloves. None last that long with first lite being the least durable and Sitka the best fit. Used to like the KUIU merino 210 fit and weight but they don't offer them anymore either.

The Aero Wool liners are much tougher than the original merino liners from First Lite.

I have a set of first light soft shell gloves. They are OK but probably my least favorite piece of FL gear. A bit small. Wrist strap is clunky for a bow realease and the liner free floats inside so it moves around when putting them on. If your hands are the least bit wet it is a pain in the ass.

I like a thin glove below 45ish temps. I happened to grab a set of tactical gloves and have used those. Current ones are mechanix and a set of blackhawks. Great dexterity. Durability is good. A bit more glove than a liner but not too much to run a bow or a rifle.

I used them in combination with a FHF wand warmer and some heat packs on long sits and hunts last year down to and below freezing.

The Aero Wool liners are much tougher than the original merino liners from First Lite.

Ryan did they change the fit at all since the original merinos? I called them after my first pair developed holes in the end of every finger, shortly after purchasing, because the finger length was not long enough and it was a common problem for most consumers (after a little searching before calling) even at that point in 2013. Their response was they had no plans to change the fit and did not know it was a problem. They were either ignorant or oblivious because there were conversations all over with the fit issues (similar to the short gaiters last year and no change to fit this year). I really like the light weight but the end of the finger seams will be stressed because when you pull the glove on far enough to get the web where it needs to be so you have full motion of your fingers the ends are jammed onto your fingers. Thats just my experience but without a change in fit the material will not matter because it was the seems causing the issue for me.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan did they change the fit at all since the original merinos? I called them after my first pair developed holes in the end of every finger, shortly after purchasing, because the finger length was not long enough and it was a common problem for most consumers (after a little searching before calling) even at that point in 2013. Their response was they had no plans to change the fit and did not know it was a problem. They were either ignorant or oblivious because there were conversations all over with the fit issues (similar to the short gaiters last year and no change to fit this year). I really like the light weight but the end of the finger seams will be stressed because when you pull the glove on far enough to get the web where it needs to be so you have full motion of your fingers the ends are jammed onto your fingers. Thats just my experience but without a change in fit the material will not matter because it was the seems causing the issue for me.

They do seem a little longer in the mediums that I wear.

gelton

WKR
I had some underarmour liner gloves that were the cats ass, had the snot thumb on those as well. But they didnt work with touchscreens and I lost one this year. Ordered what I thought was a replacement but, nope they are different, and not nearly what I was looking for. Replaced those with a set of Outdoor Research liner gloves and while nice the seam runs right across the ends of your finger making you feel like Fred Flinstone. I just kept them instead of sending them back in.

I have the Kuiu guide gloves and while nice, I find that unless its cold, I rock liner gloves most of the time and if need be can use them inside the guide gloves.

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm liking the Sitka fanatic gloves. Keeps the right fingers ready to go, pretty thin, fit great. Will be buying more when these wear out, I'd bet there going to make the perfect ice fishing glove too.

They are not cheapest though

LostArra

WKR
I've always been happy with Manzella gloves. They are a glove company rather than a clothing line and offer a wide selection of gloves for hunting.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Thanks for the ideas everyone.

LostArra- I actually spotted a pair of manzellas that caught my eye as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Pac8541

Lil-Rokslider
Peleton 130s, Guide Gloves, and the Northstar gloves have gotten me through everything but the coldest. The latter 2 are water resistant to the point where I'd have to try to get water inside them. The Peletons work as a liner inside both and work with my touchscreen stuff. More often than not, I'm wearing the guide gloves alone for everything. Love the fit and feel of them.

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
I have the new Sitka shooter gloves and found myself wearing them almost the entire time on my hunt last week and I'm not normally a glove guy. They were excellent to take a little of the chill off and still have full dexterity and be able to use my phone. SKD pig gloves are also a great option and fit a lot better than mechanix gloves.