Need help with hunting load

TreGrizz

FNG
I want to start by saying accuracy is important to me. I understand that I can have a 2 MOA rifle, and pretty much center cross hairs and pull the trigger and get a dead deer within reasonable distances. I find chasing accuracy to be fun and rewarding.

Rifle is a 308 win, 24" criterion barrel, 1-10 twist.
Bullet is 178gr Hornady ELD-X loaded at 2.825"
Powder is Varget
Im shooting 4 shot groups from a gun vice indoors, 100 yard range.

I used quickload for calculations, and found max pressure recommended was reached with a 43Gr load. I loaded in .5 increments from 41gr to 43, then by .2 increments to 44.

I found a good accuracy node at 42 fps, but the FPS was a bit erratic (.8 MOA, 2542-2602 fps). As i go up in powder, my fps is super consistant, but the accuracy goes down an example is 43 gr (1.5 MOA, 2649-2655 FPS). Shooting 43.2 up to 44 grains, there were no pressure signs, but my accuracy was poor. My FPS was still very consistant though.

my goal is >2600 FPS and =<1 MOA (not sure if this is doable). I also want my FPS to be consistent. If the 42gr had consistant velocities, i think i would stick with that and call it a day. I just am not sure what to do next. here are my thoughts...

1. Change powder, maybe try R15 and see if i get any better results
2. 8.25 seating depth is the longest I can get in my mag box. I could seat deeper and see if i get better results.
3. Change bullet, im hesitant to do this as I think the ELD-X is a great bullet for the lower velocity 308 (compared to 300win lets say).
4. Load 42-43 in .1 .2 increments to see if i can find a good balance.
5. Continue going above 44 grain and check for pressure signs as I go. This is really my last choice as 44 Gr is 9.1% compressed and going over 10% seems shady AF.

Are any of these options more appealing that another? Is there anything else I could try? what would you do?

let me know if you need more information from me. I appreciate your time

EDIT: just ran a simulator with R15, and found that at 44 gr, my pressure is lower and my FPS is higher. might not be a bad route to go. Im still >99% powder burned which is cool too.

Brendan

WKR
What I would do first is pick your best ES powder charge, and do a seating depth test at that ES (43 gr?). Start at the longest you can go in your mag box, and then load tests at .01 deeper from there, .015 deeper, etc. I'd repeat for any other low-ES powder charge you were happy with, and see if that gives you the combination of ES / group size that you like. No component switching needed to test...

Also, you can try a different primer. I just made a swap from Federal to CCI on my 300 WM and it made a big difference. I'm now sold on having multiple prime options available for every cartridge.

Then, different powders is an option. Haven't reloaded .308 myself yet to offer advice there.

OP
T

TreGrizz

FNG
I'd change powder for the 178s. Varget seems to be a bit on the fast side.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I kind of agree which is why R15 seemed like a good idea. It is a bit slower. However, I cant seem to find it in stock anywhere locally. sportsmans, cabelas, scheels, local shops. I cant even find it online in stock. BAH

OP
T

TreGrizz

FNG
What I would do first is pick your best ES powder charge, and do a seating depth test at that ES (43 gr?). Start at the longest you can go in your mag box, and then load tests at .01 deeper from there, .015 deeper, etc. I'd repeat for any other low-ES powder charge you were happy with, and see if that gives you the combination of ES / group size that you like. No component switching needed to test...

Also, you can try a different primer. I just made a swap from Federal to CCI on my 300 WM and it made a big difference. I'm now sold on having multiple prime options available for every cartridge.

Then, different powders is an option. Haven't reloaded .308 myself yet to offer advice there.

Great idea! I like the velocity and ES of the 43 grain, messing with depth and primers might be the ticket!

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
Go from 44-45 with Varget. You should get near 2700 at a more, Varget is not too fast, it's ideal. You can get 2600+ with 190's and Varget and I do. 43.7 Varget with 185 Berger was the AMU load a few years back.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, 2700 would be max. Winchester and Lapua brass you'll be above 44. Usually factory rifles you'll be at 45. I'm 44.6 in a custom with Winchester brass and 175/178's, 43.5 with 190 Berger, 46.8 with 155 Lapua.

OP
T

TreGrizz

FNG
Yeah, 2700 would be max. Winchester and Lapua brass you'll be above 44. Usually factory rifles you'll be at 45. I'm 44.6 in a custom with Winchester brass and 175/178's, 43.5 with 190 Berger, 46.8 with 155 Lapua.

Great info, thanks! I'm shooting Winchester brass, I'll tickle my way up a bit watching for over pressure signs and see what happens.

I agree with Brendan. I’d go with your 43gr load and test some seating depths and see if it doesn’t tighten up some. If seating depth helps tighten your groups you can then fine tune powder once you have found your depth.
If that doesn’t work you could try loading a little higher and trying to hit another node.