Need Help with New Scope Selection...

PAS

FNG
Hello All,
I am considering upgrading the old Leupold Fullfield II scope (3-9x40) on my trusty 30-06... This scope is over 20yrs old and there is nothing wrong with it but I am just wanting to "get with the times" I guess :)

Can you recommend a few solid middle ground scopes for me to consider? I would prefer a fixed power scope in the 7X range instead of an adjustable as I do not shoot at long distances.... My shooting is generally between 100-300yards.

thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Tmac

WKR
Burris or a Leupold? Leupold makes a couple fixed 6x models, at least they used to, a x36 and a x42 with better coatings. Be worth a look.

nobody

WKR
If you're set on a fixed power, I'm not sure how to help you. But I'm just curious, why not a good, basic, tough, 3-9x40 from a reputable manufacturer? EVERY big manufacturer builds a scope with those specs in a variety of price brackets, you could always just walk around with it on 6 power, but the variable gives you the option to go higher or lower the 5% of the time when you may kindof want it!

I know they're no longer in the scope business, but I have a Nikon Prostaff 5 3-9x40 on my in-line muzzleloader that is freaking awesome glass (for what it is) that would serve your purposes just dandy! Nikon is no longer making them, but you can still purchase them where in stock, and usually for a pretty good deal! If you're open to it, I can't recommend these enough for a simple optic for the guy who doesn't necessarily want to shoot to 1000 yards or have lots of other moving stuff to mess up on accident. Capped, spring loaded re-zero-able turrets, simple zoom ring that is easy to grab and is rubberized. I love mine, and I'm picking up a couple just to have for extras since they're so cheap now!

OP
P

PAS

FNG
By the looks and sound of things there are not many fixed power out there... so yes I would also be interested in a reliable solid mid/upper ground 3-9x40 if anyone can recommend a few to look at...

nobody

WKR
By the looks and sound of things there are not many fixed power out there... so yes I would also be interested in a reliable solid mid/upper ground 3-9x40 if anyone can recommend a few to look at...

Depending on your budget, if you're only shooting those short ranges, these are what I would recommend!

Nikon Prostaff (can be had cheap online since they were discontinued)
Leupold VX Freedom

I've run a prostaff on my muzzleloader for 4 years and have shot to 400 with it reliably and confidently! Much better glass than the low end Leupold, and I'm a huge fan of Leupold scopes.

nobody

WKR
Depending on your budget, if you're only shooting those short ranges, these are what I would recommend!

Nikon Prostaff (can be had cheap online since they were discontinued)
Leupold VX Freedom

I've run a prostaff on my muzzleloader for 4 years and have shot to 400 with it reliably and confidently! Much better glass than the low end Leupold, and I'm a huge fan of Leupold scopes.

If you go with the Nikon, get the BDC reticle and download their Spot On App in case you ever DO want to shoot further with the ol' -06! It'll calculate the rough bullet drop for you to play around a bit with their reticle and shoot a little further for fun in practice if you every want to! Just gives you the option in case you ever decide you want to have more potential ability!

wildcat33

WKR
Not a heck of a lot of fixed power options these days. Weaver maybe (if they are LOW made)?

The SWFA is way overkill for what you are asking for (heavy).

OP
P

PAS

FNG
What is the best 3-9x40 scope glass and most reliable I can get for around $300?

OP
P

PAS

FNG
This is all great info. Thank you all for your recommendations

Aries64

FNG
Hello All,
I am considering upgrading the Leupold Fullfield II scope (3-9x40) on my trusty 30-06... This scope is over 20yrs old and there is nothing wrong with it but I am just wanting to "get with the times" I guess :)

Can you recommend a few solid middle ground scopes for me to consider? I would prefer a fixed power scope in the 7X range instead of an adjustable as I do not shoot at long distances.... My shooting is generally between 100-300yards.

thank you in advance for any advice you can give.
I'm going to go against the grain here and, rather than recommending a scope for you in the $300.00 range (not my forte), I'll ask you a couple of questions about what it is that you think you will gain from changing an optic that seems to work fine for you.

(1) Although your (Leupold Fullfield II) 3-9X40 is 20 years old and optics design and coatings have been improved a lot over the last two decades, but other than wanting to update the scope to "get with the times", what do you want and/or expect to gain by changing the optic?

(2) Whether or not you "shoot at long distances", why would you switch to a fixed power scope over your 3-9X40 variable? Seems to me a fixed 7X is a liability when some of your shooting is at 100 yards. Personally, I'd rather have a low power variable like you already have but maybe that's just me.

However, if you must upgrade your scope, jgill_pursuit's recommendations of a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 or a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9X40 seem to be solid options well within your price range. I hope my post helps you focus on what it is you expect to gain from a scope change and that it helps crystalize your decision.

Keith

I can't come up with a better option than a swfa 6x and since your not shooting distance leave the turrets alone. It will likely be far more reliable than anything else in the respective price range.

OP
P

PAS

FNG
Thank you all for the great input. I also forgot to mention that I have over $400 of gift cards and points to burn at Cabelas.... What scopes does Cabelas carry that you would recommend? The main Criteria I am looking for in a riflescope are bright/crisp optics and rock solid reliability with internal mechanisms. I Do Not Want ballistic adjustable turrets as I simply use the "Point Blank Zero" sighting method with my 30-06 for deer and elk.

Basically I am looking for a no frills rock solid crisp bright rifle scope (either adjustable or fixed mag) from Cabelas (preferably since I have alot of Points and gift cards) . Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

gpkhill2

FNG
If I had 400 dollars to spend at Cabela's. I'd buy a 3.5-10x40 duplex 1 inch basic VX-3i. Glass is clear and bright and it weighs 12 -13 ounces. I have one on a 7mm-08 Xbolt that I keep for shooting whitetails. Its a great little scope especially if you're not dialing.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04