Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Z5 3,5-18x44 BT

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Z6i 3-18x50 BT

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
Hi from Norway.

I'm an avid Caribou hunter from Norway.
My way of hunting is solo with my two dogs sleeping in a tent for a week at a time up in the mountains of Norway.
To be as mobile as possible, I have cut down on as much weight as possible.
Last year I cut down from 150lbs for a week including all my gear and food for me and my dogs for 8 days down to 110 lbs.
My dogs carry 40lbs each, so now I'm down to 30lbs for a week worth of gear and food, including my rifle.
I usually walk 10 miles in and hunt out from my tent, but sometimes i move camp each day.
As all my other rifles are in the 10lbs+ range including optics I bought a Barrett fieldcraft last year in 6.5Creedmoor with a Leupold VX3i 4,5-14x40 CDS scope and a lightweight suppressor.
Last year I only shot I caribou, and it was only 220lbs, but carrying all the meat and my camp out in two trips was a pain in the...
I'm pretty fit and hunt 50 days a year.

I'm not pleased with my current scope, The CDS does not lock and the repeatability is not good enough.

Therefore I have been looking at a new scope.
All my other hunting rifles carry Swarovski Z6i and Z8i scopes with BT.

I have been looking at the Z5 3,5-18x44 but this model is not for sale in Norway, and I would have to order it from the US.
This scope has the 1'' main tube, and my fieldcraft has 1'' rings, but all my other rifles have 30mm main tubes.
I'm also cencearned that if I have any warranty issues, even thou I would buy a brand new scope, I would have problems since it would be an imported scope.
As far as I have understood, this scope does not have a zero lock on the BT.

My other option would be a Swarovski z6i 3-18x50.
30mm main body would make it easier to change between rifles if I had a problem, but would add an additional 6oz of weight.

Price is pretty much the same as I can buy the z6i locally without paying import taxes.

My current setup is 6.62lbs including scope and suppressor.
With the z5 it would be 6.82lbs
With the z6i it would be 7.19

I don't carry a spotting scope, only swarovski 10x42 ELRange binoculars, so my scope will also work as my spotter if I neet to look closer than my binoculars will allow me to.
What would you do?

Last edited:

JFK

WKR
What ranges are you shooting at....do you need to dial? Out to around 300 yards just get a scope with capped turrets and know your drop. Lighter, simpler, cheaper.

OP
A
Maximum range would be 500 yds.
I like the open tower since I sometimes bring the rifle birdhunting out to 350yds.
Then the target is so small that holdovers doesnt really work that well with a 5" kill zone.
I have had closed turrets on rifles that I use for ranges up to 250yds when I hunt for moose.

Banker

FNG
At a maximum distance of 500 yard, Z6i 2-12x50 BT L may be an option you should look at.
I mounted this on my 6.5 and appreciate the extra light gathering capacity for early morning shots near sun up.

I feel like if you are already carrying 100+ pounds of camp, another few ounces on a scope is the least of your worries. If it was me, I would get another of the exact same scopes I already had. No new bells and whistles to learn, you've had good luck, and you can switch them out seamlessly in the unlikely event you have any troubles. My suspicion is that a 6.5 isn't going to have huge recoil issues and knock a quality scope off.

OP
A
I feel like if you are already carrying 100+ pounds of camp, another few ounces on a scope is the least of your worries. If it was me, I would get another of the exact same scopes I already had. No new bells and whistles to learn, you've had good luck, and you can switch them out seamlessly in the unlikely event you have any troubles. My suspicion is that a 6.5 isn't going to have huge recoil issues and knock a quality scope off.

Out of my 110lbs, 40lbs+ is dog equipment and dog food, so its not too bad.
I'm still cutting in every corner, but being stranded alone up in the mountains without gear that can survive a snowstorm can be fatal.

Out of my 110lbs, 40lbs+ is dog equipment and dog food, so its not too bad.
I'm still cutting in every corner, but being stranded alone up in the mountains without gear that can survive a snowstorm can be fatal.
I can definitely understand that. Seems like an enjoyable predicament - successful too!

OP
A
I just discovered that i made a slight error while calculating from kg to lbs.
My gear and food for a week for me and my dogs is 66lbs, not 110lbs.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Swaro Z3 4-12X50 on a lot of my rifles, including the Barett FC 6.5. I use either the BHX reticle or the fine version of it. These are fairly lightweight and have a 1" tube