Need help with range spotting scope

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a spotting scope that will be used at the range and it could be used out to 1000 yards and I'd like to stay at $1000 or under. It's for my son who is in his 20s and has good vision unlike me. Since I don't shoot past 300 yards, I don't really know what magnification you'd need to see holes in a paper target at 1000 yards. Feel free to tell me if $1000 won't get it done and I'll stop looking. Thanks in advance.

OP
H

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at the Athlon Ares 15-45x65ED. It's an excellent unit and we just put it on sale for only $499.99. Give a call to discuss it
I called yesterday and you guys were very busy and I was told to figure out what I wanted and then call back and ask for Gary. I'm hoping to get someone who knows something about this to give me some insight. If you know, what about the Ares 85?

See holes in paper at 1000 yards? I cant say that I've ever really tried that but I believe that to be nearly impossible.
Usually when shooting paper at 1000 dont they have target pullers that maker the target with high visibility sticker?
I have a swaro and couldn't imagine being able to see a single piece of gravel at 1000. But I guess with enough contrast anything is possible.

My old rifle range bought some huge Kowa scopes but I'm unsure of what model.

Maybe that target camera system would work better? You set a camera next to the target and it sends the live image to your phone I believe.

OP
H

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
See holes in paper at 1000 yards? I cant say that I've ever really tried that but I believe that to be nearly impossible.
Usually when shooting paper at 1000 dont they have target pullers that maker the target with high visibility sticker?
I have a swaro and couldn't imagine being able to see a single piece of gravel at 1000. But I guess with enough contrast anything is possible.

My old rifle range bought some huge Kowa scopes but I'm unsure of what model.

Maybe that target camera system would work better? You set a camera next to the target and it sends the live image to your phone I believe.
Thanks for the reply. I never shot further than 500 so that's why I asked, but not being able to see holes at 1000 makes sense when you say it out loud.

Is he going to be actually competing?
Is he set on paper?
You can get a 12" steel plate and hanger setup for around $100 that's how I think most people dial there long range hunting setups.

Reactions: dla

Blue72

WKR
Going to be extremely difficult at a 1000 yards even with the best of the best equipment, conditions have to be near perfect. At that range people are following vapor trails instead of looking for holes in paper.

At that point many precision rifle shooters are using 15x binoculars instead for more comfortable views. Even range officers at precision rifle events are switching to 15x binoculars

Here is some good info from guys who participate in PRS matches

Last edited:

dnjat

FNG
I would think that the camera to your ipad would be alot easier and cheaper

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
A "range" scope for $1k, damn thing better spot my rifle for me. I guess if you have that type of disposable income go for it but Good God that is a great budget for a "Range" scope. This hunting thing sure does get out of hand on the $ side of things. Sorry for my reaction but I damn near choked.

Athlon Ares is a great buy in the under $1000 budget range. It’s a good range tool even if it might not show holes at 100 yards. I haven’t tried that myself.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I have an swaro 95mm atx and struggle to see .223 holes in paper past 300 without getting a splatter target. Past 300 I almost always shoot steel and repaint the target every trip with field paint (stuff they put on football/soccer fields). Having someone behind a spotter is great for wind calls and misses to walk a guy in. I would get the best glass you can afford and have 60x magnification. You can find older Swaro ATS models used for 1200-1500 and swaro will refurbish anything they have ever built. If you can find an older ATS swaro 80mm (ideal) or 65mm and can swing 1300ish you will never regret getting a great piece of glass. When they refurbish a spotter is like $150 bucks and comes back basically new and with upgraded glass coatings. Most people take good enough care of their Swaro stuff that it probably will go a few years before you would need to refurbish it.

OP
H

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
Going to be extremely difficult at a 1000 yards even with the best of the best equipment, conditions have to be near perfect. At that range people are following vapor trails instead of looking for holes in paper.

At that point many precision rifle shooters are using 15x binoculars instead for more comfortable views. Even range officers at precision rifle events are switching to 15x binoculars

Here is some good info from guys who participate in PRS matches

Thanks for the information. I’ll check it out,

OP
H

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
I have an swaro 95mm atx and struggle to see .223 holes in paper past 300 without getting a splatter target. Past 300 I almost always shoot steel and repaint the target every trip with field paint (stuff they put on football/soccer fields). Having someone behind a spotter is great for wind calls and misses to walk a guy in. I would get the best glass you can afford and have 60x magnification. You can find older Swaro ATS models used for 1200-1500 and swaro will refurbish anything they have ever built. If you can find an older ATS swaro 80mm (ideal) or 65mm and can swing 1300ish you will never regret getting a great piece of glass. When they refurbish a spotter is like $150 bucks and comes back basically new and with upgraded glass coatings. Most people take good enough care of their Swaro stuff that it probably will go a few years before you would need to refurbish it.
I probably should have thought about what I was asking before asking. Seeing holes at a 1000 is not very realistic.